[LPF] Darkness Rising

DalkonCledwin

First Post
Seeing that the others are all content to wait for purchasing the wand until they confer with the Priest in the morning, Tonris heaves a heavy sigh. He walks over to the window and looks outside. The moon high in the sky, he says "It may be possible that by this time the day after tomorrow, I won't be among the land of the living. At least that could be the case if the spell we need is not available to us." He looks down at Rex who appears to be sleeping soundly on the ground near the fireplace in the room. Tonris walks over and gently picks the tiny dinosaur up saying "sweet dreams little one." The dinosaur doesn't even seem to notice the movement that just occurred to it. With that said, Tonris carries the little Dinosaur, and all of their belongings up to the room that was set aside for them. Once there he places the Dinosaur on the stone floor next to the rooms fireplace where the Dinosaur can keep warm without fear of getting too overly hot. He then goes and sits in the very comfortable chair that is in the room, preferring not to sleep in the bed for fear of mites. Once there it is only a few minutes before Tonris falls asleep himself.

[sblock=Tonris, Mini Stats]Initiative: +9
Perception: -1 (it is +1 if within arm’s reach of Familiar)
Armor Class: 13 (Flat-Footed: 12 // Touch: 12)
Mage Armor Class: 16 (Flat-Footed: 15 // Touch: 12)
Hit Points: 36 Current // 36 Total
BAB: +2 CMB: +3 CMD: 14
Fort: +3 Ref: +2 Will: +4
Special Resistances: +2 Trait Bonus to Saving Throws against Divination Effects, and a +1 Trait Bonus to Saving Throws against Divine Spells.
Concentration Check: 1d20 +9 (plus an additional 4 if casting defensively)
Caster Level Check: 1d20 +5

Primary Weapon: M.W. Quarterstaff (Attack Bonus: +4 || Damage: 1d6+1 / 1d6+1 || Critical: 20/x2 || Double Weapon || Masterwork)
Secondary Natural Weapon: Prehensile Hair (Attack Bonus: +1 || Damage: 1d3+2 || Critical: 20/x2 || 10 foot reach)
Wands: Wand of Mage Armor (40 Charges remaining)

Class Abilities & Spells
Hexes:
Evil Eye:
can be used on any one target within 30 feet whom Tonris can see. This ability gives a -2 penalty to one of the following: AC, Ability Checks, Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, or Skill Checks for 7 rounds. Will save DC 16 reduces effect to just 1 round.
Flight: grants a +4 racial bonus on swim checks, allows the use of feather fall at will, and allows Tonris to cast Levitate once per day (0 / 1 per day).
Prehensile Hair: Grants Tonris the ability to manipulate his hair for a total of 4 minutes per day. These minutes need not be consecutive, but they must be spent in 1 minute intervals (1 / 4 minutes per day).

Prepared Spells
Cantrips (DC – 14): Guidance; Resistance; Detect Magic; Stabilize
First Level (DC – 15): Cure Light Wounds; Burning Hands; Ear Piercing Scream; Ray of Enfeeblement
Second Level (DC – 16): Cure Moderate Wounds; Touch of Idiocy, Enthrall[/sblock]
[sblock=Rex, Mini Stats]
Dinosaur, Compsognathus

Neutral, Tiny Animal

Init: +6; Senses: Lowlight Vision, Scent; Perception +4
AC: 18, Touch 14, Flat-Footed 16 (+2 Dex, +4 Nat, +2 Size)
Mage Armor AC 21, Touch 14, Flat-Footed 19 (+2 Dex, +3 Nat, +4 Mage Armor, +2 Size)
HP: 18 (1d8+2 treated as if it had 5d8+2)
Saves: Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +4
Speed: 40 ft, Swim 20 ft.
Melee: – Bite +3, (1d3-1 + poison, 5 foot reach)
Space: 2.5 feet // Reach: 0 feet
Ability Scores: STR 8, DEX 15, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 11, CHA 5
Base Attack: +2; CMB +2; CMD 11
Feats: Improved Initiative
Skills: Perception +4, Swim +7, plus all skills that Tonris has ranks in
Poison (Bite - Injury) Save Fort DC 12: Frequency 1/round for 4 rounds; 1d2 STR; Cure = 1 save.
Eidolon Evolutions: Reach (Bite) (1)
Special Abilities Alertness, Empathic Link, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Store Spells, Deliver Touch Spells, Speak with Master[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=OOC]
<sblockOOC>We are definitely going to need to convince the Padre. Because I have no desire to go into a fight with enemies that can spam the Darkness spell... without an effective countermeasure. And there is no reason that Tonris would go to sleep without being given a reason why he can't go buy the wand very quickly tonight before the shops close.<sblock>

I would think going shopping is probably an half a day event. Its not the same as going to a store that has labeled isles and you can check out quickly. More like searching, haggling the price, search a bit more, and haggle again to get the owner to take your item for his.[/sblock]

The group is awaken the next morning an hour before dawn. In the quiet of the morning tehy each prepare themselves for the travel (and likely trouble) of the day ahead.

When they reach the parlor from the night before they find a table laid out with food so they can break their night's fast. Breads and cheeses, along with fruits and sweet cakes make for a cold but filing repast.

The topic of conversation is mostly about the shopping that they should do as a group, before heading off. And conviced once mr ethey head to see Master Renios.

The old cleric is waiting for everyone in a small courtyard sitting on a stone bench in the shade of the estate walls. He finishes munching on a crust of bread, as the group approaches. "Ah, good morn to you," he says standing and dusting crumbs of his dull brown traveling robes. "Have you all prepared for the journey? We should reach the Stoneblade in three short days. And then begin the task of reaching the ritual room."

[sblock=NOTE] It is very important that everyone post a stat block and their spells for the day, with their next post. Now that you know some of the background I will be using everyone's next post (and not their wiki sheets) for looking up spell selection. You will get two more chances for changing as the group travels as well.[/sblock]

DalkonCledwin

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Given how D&D and subsequently Pathfinder were set up when it comes to economics (buy everything at exactly full price, and sell everything at exactly half price, no haggling involved...), your view on how long it takes to do one's shopping is purely a role playing view that is not reflected by the mechanics of the game. Additionally it also does not reflect the view of "Here we are, Rich Adventurers Are We. We can afford to spend ungodly amounts of money without needing to worry about haggling (and thereby causing unhealthy inflation of the local economy which will lead to the eventual collapse of said economy)"[/sblock]

As the group eats their breakfast, Tonris listens intently to all of their concerns. As he does he slips a few tiny morsels of meat down to Rex so that the tiny dinosaur can eat it's fill. He then turns to the others when all have had their fill and says "Shall we go see what the Priest has to say?"

After eating he follows the others out to the courtyard where he beseeches the old Priest saying "Master Reinos, we have a concern. One of us has encountered some Dark Folk before, and according to her, these entities have the ability to remove the light from a room, and even were able to negate the light of her Ioun Torch. I fear it may be a good idea for us to acquire some means of bringing portable daylight with us so that we may be able to counteract this unnatural darkness. What say you?" As he says this Tonris watches the old man, attempting to gauge his reactions to the inquiry.

[sblock=Note]For now I will keep my spells as they were. No sense changing them as of yet since we still have 2 more opportunities to change them before we arrive at our destination.[/sblock]
Special Resistances: +2 Trait Bonus to Saving Throws against Divination Effects, and a +1 Trait Bonus to Saving Throws against Divine Spells.

Primary Weapon: M.W. Quarterstaff (Attack Bonus: +4 || Damage: 1d6+1 / 1d6+1 || Critical: 20/x2 || Double Weapon || Masterwork)
Secondary Natural Weapon: Prehensile Hair (Attack Bonus: +1 || Damage: 1d3+2 || Critical: 20/x2 || 10 foot reach)

Class Abilities & Spells
Hexes:
Evil Eye:
can be used on any one target within 30 feet whom Tonris can see. This ability gives a -2 penalty to one of the following: AC, Ability Checks, Attack Rolls, Saving Throws, or Skill Checks for 7 rounds. Will save DC 16 reduces effect to just 1 round.
Flight: grants a +4 racial bonus on swim checks, allows the use of feather fall at will, and allows Tonris to cast Levitate once per day (0 / 1 per day). Tonris can fly for a number of minutes per day equal to his level (0 / 5 minutes per day)
Prehensile Hair: Grants Tonris the ability to manipulate his hair for a total of 4 minutes per day. These minutes need not be consecutive, but they must be spent in 1 minute intervals (0 / 4 minutes per day).

Prepared Spells
First Level (DC – 15): Cure Light Wounds; Burning Hands; Ear Piercing Scream; Ray of Enfeeblement
Second Level (DC – 16): Cure Moderate Wounds; Touch of Idiocy, Enthrall[/sblock]
[sblock=Rex, Mini Stats]
Dinosaur, Compsognathus

Neutral, Tiny Animal

Mage Armor AC 21, Touch 14, Flat-Footed 19 (+2 Dex, +3 Nat, +4 Mage Armor, +2 Size)
Poison (Bite - Injury) Save Fort DC 12: Frequency 1/round for 4 rounds; 1d2 STR; Cure = 1 save.
Special Abilities Alertness, Empathic Link, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Store Spells, Deliver Touch Spells, Speak with Master[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
LieraAvatar2.jpg

Tyrien slept well and enjoyed breakfast. Still hungry, she grabs some bread and cheese and heads out into the courtyard, nibbling both as she goes. Still chewing, she greets the others, "Gawd, mowrnin'. Nice daymph we havin', ya?"

Swallowing, she speaks more clearly to help aid Tonris's efforts, "Yes, Master Renios. Better late and prepared for dealing with these dark folk, than rush headlong into a fight we cannot win, all because we cannot see to turn our foes into pin cushions."

"We discussed it last night, and none of us can cast the spell ourselves with out the need for having a wand or some scrolls. You mentioned that you had what was necessary?"
She looks inquiringly at the padre with one arched eyebrow.

The chatterbox half-elven girl is chipper this morning, but focused on business rather than idle chitchat for the moment. She keeps eating and finishes her last bit of cheese and bread, taking up her longbow for the commencing of their journey.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +7 Perception: +12 (low-light vision)
AC: 23 (18 flat-footed, 16 Touch)
HP: 48 Current: 48
CMB: +7 CMD: 22(17ff) Fort: +5 Reflex: +9 Will: +4
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Arcane Strike (+1 Dmg), Resistance, Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
Larissa partakes of breakfast, indulging in one of the sweet cakes along with heartier fare. She nods approvingly at Tyrien's assessment of the situation.

[sblock=Larissa stat block]
Larissa
Initiative: +2
AC: 21 (21 flat-footed, 10 Touch)
HP: 53 Current: 53
CMB: +7 CMD: 17
Fort: +9 Reflex: +2 Will: +7
PER Roll: +2
Current Weapon in Hand: Greatsword

Weapons:
+1 Greatsword Attack: +9 = [BAB(4) + STR(3) + WF(1) + Magic(1)]
Damage: 2d6+4, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+1 Greatsword Attack: +7 = [BAB(4) + STR(3) + WF(1) + Magic(1)]
Damage: 2d6+10, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Pilum: Attack: +4 = [BAB(4) + DEX(0) + Misc(0) + Magic(0)]
Damage: 1d8+3, Crit: 20/x2, 20' Range incr.
Special: successful strike fouls a shield

Spells prepared:
0 Level (4) Level 01 (4+1) Level 02 (3+1)
* Detect Magic * Bless * Bull's Strength
* Read Magic * Protection from Evil * Bull's Strength
* Light * Detect Evil * Protection from Evil, Communal
* Guidance * Divine Favor * D: Bless Weapon
* D: Shield of Faith

Channeling at current level: Channel 2d6,
DC 16 =(10 + 1/2 Cleric lvl + CHA +2 for Glory) for
Undead to Save. 5x/day, Selective (skip up to 2 targets)

Weapons:
+1 Greatsword Attack: +9 = [BAB(4) + STR(3) + WF(1) + Magic(1)]
Damage: 2d6+4, Crit: 19-20/x2,
Special: pommel is hollow, contains scripture
Pow Att w/+1 Greatsword Attack: +7 = [BAB(4) + STR(3) + WF(1) + Magic(1)]
Damage: 2d6+10, Crit: 19-20/x2,

Pilum: Attack: +4 = [BAB(4) + DEX(0) + Misc(0) + Magic(0)]
Damage: 1d8+3, Crit: 20/x2, 20' Range incr.
Special: successful strike fouls a shield

[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Agno joins the others early the next morning to break his fast. In fact, he is still cramming sweet rolls and bacon into his beak as they go to meet with Master Reinos.

"Mmphff! Hurrr! ...Morning... <gulp> I am ready except for, ah... the possibility of lightings?"

He looks questioningly at the old priest.

• • • • Agno Phoenicus • • • •

[sblock=Mini Stats]Agno Phoenicus
Initiative: +3
AC: 18 (15 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 36 Current: 36
CMB: +4 CMD: 17 Fort: +7 Reflex: +5 Will: +10 (+12 vs. Charm & compulsion effects)
Speed: 40 ft. (50 ft. with Longstrider)

Current Weapon in Hand:
Ammo (Arrows): 40/40 remaining
Current Conditions in Effect:

Lightning Arc: 7/7 Remaining
Channel Energy: 4/4 remaining
Agile Feet: 7/7 remaining
Hawkeye: 7/7 remaining

Cleric Spells:
Spells Prepared:
1st level: bless, divine favor, longstrider (D)
0-level: guidance, light, stabilize

Druid Spells:
Spells Prepared:
2nd level: cat's grace, chill metal, lesser restoration, eagle's splendor (D)
1st level: cure light wounds, entangle, faerie fire, shillelagh, aspect of the falcon (D)
0-level: detect magic, detect poison, flare, resistance[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Master Renios looks thoughtful as if thinking a moment. With furrowed brows he replies in a kindly voice. "I do wish we had the time and resources to acquire a few items, but we do not. We will have to trust in Helerion, he will light our way."

Looking at Tyrien with bemused expression he states patting a few scroll cases at his belt. "I have a few scrolls and potions that will be most useful. And I also have divine magic to help get us into the ritual room."

He notices the frowns and adds, "Each day wasted could bring about the failure of our quest. We must not arrive to late. We should go and trust that all will be well for those who's purpose is unyielding."

[sblock=OOC] Site has been so crazy today - glad I get time to update at 4 in the morning. :hmm:

OK let's see...
<snip> ...how long it takes to do one's shopping is purely a role playing view that is not reflected by the mechanics of the game... <snip>
And thus purely relevant as we are role-playing. ;)

DC you said Tonris was "attempting to gauge his reactions to the inquiry" please roll a Sense Motive check for that. [/sblock]

Last edited:

DalkonCledwin

First Post
Tonris frowns as the Priest's reactions remain an enigma to him. "I am all for helping you get your home back, but not if it gets me killed. Unlike you I don't have very much trust for extraplanar beings who prefer to hide behind the woodwork and let their minions do all the work in the cosmos. So I have never put much stock in the existence of the Gods as you call them. Trusting in the divine will of a God is kind of difficult for one who is skeptical of their very existence. I do not doubt that you get your powers from somewhere, but that somewhere need not necessarily be much different from where I get my powers in the long run. To say it is a good is actually in my mind an insult to the very concept of magic... But like I said, none of my philosophical beliefs should stop me from being able to help someone who was kicked out of their home by invaders from getting their home back. That said, I will not throw my life away simply because you do not think we have enough time to make a quick stop at Arcane Row here in Venza. It should not be too difficult to find a Wand with the Daylight Spell on it." Tonris is quite animated as he says all this, using his hands facial expression, and other assorted movements to convey the full depth of his meaning.

OOC: Diplomacy attempt was supposed to be a retroactive roll for the previous post combined with this post.

Class Abilities & Spells
Hexes:
Evil Eye:
Flight: grants a +4 racial bonus on swim checks, allows the use of feather fall at will, and allows Tonris to cast Levitate once per day (0 / 1 per day). Tonris can fly for a number of minutes per day equal to his level (0 / 5 minutes per day)
Prehensile Hair: Grants Tonris the ability to manipulate his hair for a total of 4 minutes per day. These minutes need not be consecutive, but they must be spent in 1 minute intervals (1 / 4 minutes per day).

Prepared Spells
[sblock=Rex, Mini Stats]
Dinosaur, Compsognathus

Neutral, Tiny Animal

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"You are right half a day here or there is truly little time, but what about the expense. Do you have the gold for a wand to stop the deeper darkness of some of these creatures?" the father asks with a sadden expression. "Faith tells us that we should not worry about such things. That what is needed is provided and when you provide loyalty and devotion to a being 'behind the woodwork'. They in turn grant you the things to see you through life's challenges."

[sblock=And the results are in]
Know planes - dark folk don't come from another plane (unless they do in LPF - not sure there) as you think of Shadow plane creatures dark folk are not on the list

Know religion - Man I really need to work on a proposal for Helerion so we can get some specific's down - This is all from my character Ioseph who is a cleric of Helerion:

Helerion: the Bright One, Lord of Light, Protector of the Realm

Ioseph channels positive energy and cast spontaneous cure spells
Domains: Protection and Strength

Sorry that's all I got

Diplomacy: unsuccessful - The padre's lips tighten as you make your case - but set up for an aid another roll for success (anyone?)

Sense Motive: Not a strong suit of Tonris's but you got a nibble - When he said "we don't have the time" was he saying we as in the group or we as in me, myself, and I - something to think on.[/sblock]

Last edited:

DalkonCledwin

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I wasn't specifically trying to locate information about shadowplane creatures in particular, but rather about Celestials and similar creatures. In otherwords the kinds of creatures that would serve a being such as Helerion

And no, Sense Motive isn't particularly one of Tonris' more powerful skill sets.

Also, if it is allowable, I am going to have my Familiar roll a diplomacy aid another check. Not sure if that is actually something that works, but its worth a try...[/sblock]

Tonris says "Money isn't an issue. I have enough on my person to cover the charges for a wand of this kind with up to as many as 24 charges. Though I hardly think we should need one with more than 10 charges, unless we are dreadfully unlucky." He then looks at the Padre more fully and says with an intense glare "When you say 'we don't have the time.' are you referring to all of us as a group, or you specifically?" While Tonris is saying all of this, Rex is cooing in a tone that emphasizes agreement with everything that Tonris is saying.

Class Abilities & Spells
Hexes:
Evil Eye:

Prepared Spells
[sblock=Rex, Mini Stats]
Dinosaur, Compsognathus

Neutral, Tiny Animal

Last edited:

Remove ads