[LPF] The Cave of (Un)Death

soulnova

Explorer
"Oh, where are my manners? My name is Damaris, pleased to meet you"
she presents herself to the group.

I suspect that a young lady like yourself has many people concerned about her well being.

"Maybe I'm tired of a sheltered life, Brother Aedger. A little excitement with the right company and I'm sure everything will be fine." the girl says with confidence.

"Now this is turning into a truly splendid adventure! Zombies you say? And a maiden who can both chronicle our deeds and is in need of protection! What more could we want?"

Damaris places her hands in her hips and frowns a little "C'mon now, I'm might be somewhat delicate but that's doesn't mean I can't sting. I don't like to be protected per se... assistance might be a better way to put it." she pinches Vax's arm in a playful manner. She does have some strength in her hand. Damaris could likely deliver a decent punch if it came down to it.

"Someone to sing of Cavernous Hode's valorous deeds? Yes, Cavernous Hode sees how this might be of use in his quest to win the horned maiden's heart. However, this would require that Cavernous Hode's valorous deeds were related in the most positive light. Is it proper etiquette to tip the composer for better service in a situation such as this?"

"A love story too?" she claps her hands excited "Hode, can I call you Hode? If you need help to win the heart of certain lady, I would gladly help if everything goes well. So.... uhm... where is it we are going again?"

vmaaxt

First Post
Aedger Beinn (Aasimar Cleric)

"Mr. Vax, I don't think it's considered glorious, or heroic, to extract a maiden from danger if you were in fact one of the primary reasons that she was in danger in the first place. In fact, endangering this particular maiden might be particularly dangerous for you, if she decides to sing not of a daring recuse, but of the reasons that rescue was needed. Not that I'm saying you'll need rescued, Ms. Damaris. Simply that Mr. Vax has grand dreams, and that these dreams would appear to cloud his judgement sometimes. And I can understand the need for adventure. When I was much younger, I too found my legs quite restless. I sought to become more than a farmer's child. It would appear that I have succeeded, in some measures." Whispering to the dwarf, "Mr. Hode, I've never had need of a chronicler, but then again, I've never had someone look unfavorably upon me when some of gold made it into their pockets."

[sblock=ooc]
I may be putting the cart before the horse here, but I thought we might as well get marching order and such out of the way, so we're not tripping over it later. Here is my proposal, and thoughts behind it.

1 wide:

Dickens
Hode
Vax
Damaris
Aedger
Blue

Dickens is short, so Hode can look over him, Vax maybe over Hode. Dickens has Low-light vision, Hode has Darkvision, both with decent perception. Damaris probably able to shoot once Vax has closed with enemy. Aedger and Blue both have Darkvision, and bring up the rear. Disadvantage: Damaris maybe not able to shoot over 3 in front, puts Cleric at back of party, away from touch range, (Of both party and enemies) and I have no ranged heals.

2 wide:
Dickens.Vax
Hode....Aedger
Damaris.Blue

Keeps LL/DVs able to see both front and back, Damaris has shots over Hode, Vax has charge, Aedger has touch on everybody, Blue watches the rear.

3 wide (if necessary/wanted)
Hode.Dickens.Vax
Blue.Aedger..Damaris

Much of same logic as 2 wide, but if Vax charges off to meet threat, leaves Damaris a wide area unobstructed to fire from (Vax has moved/over Dickens), or can move in with sword.

Watch Rotation (12 hour rest)
Shift 1: Damaris/Blue, Aedger prepares spells
Shift 2: Aedger/Vax, Hode prepares spells
Shift 3: Hode/Dickens, Damaris prepares spells
Keeps at least one DV in each rotation, at least 1 caster ready in each shift after first, casters prepare in order of combat nature, so as night progresses, group becomes more combat ready (marginally). Dickens picks up morning shift with LLV (if above ground).

Thoughts?
I feel that by putting Dickens in front, I'm treating him as expendable/trap detector, but it makes sense because we can all look over him. And he has the highest HP in the party. Almost as much as the bottom half put together. Which in hindsight, all those are at the back of the party, in case we get stalked. Hmm.
Also, I feel that Damaris isn't in a good position to use longsword, or even bow much of the time.
[/sblock]

soulnova

Explorer
[sblock=Marching Order] I'm fine with Damaris in the back. She will not attempt to enter melee and she will most likely use her performance if she doesn't have a clear shot. 2 wide seems like our best bet.[/sblock]

Chronikoce

First Post
Vax (Lvl 1)

Vax attempts to adopt a suitably shamed expression but is only marginally successful "Well there I go offending the one who would write about me again! I have a bad habit of doing that it seems." Brightening up again he chimes in "I will be happy to render assistance as needed and if protection is required I'll render that too!" The smile on his face portrays the confidence that he has masterfully navigated yet another one of those dangerous social exchanges that often trip him up.

Not to break his lucky streak in handling those delicate social exchanges Vax turns to Aedger "The young lady here is after adventure too it would seem and to deprive her of fulfilling that goal would be terrible." A brief flicker of concern flashes across his face as he considers his next response but it quickly vanishes "And I am sure that one such as Damaris would far rather sing about all our heroic deeds rather than a perceived blunder that may have lead to those deeds being necessary." He finishes this last part by attempting a furtive glance at Damaris to gauge her reaction. The glance part is masterfully done the furtive portion however leaves much to be desired...

Vax realizes that in his excitement he ignored one of Damaris' question and quickly replies "To be honest I haven't the slightest idea where we are headed on this adventure. I followed this nice man here" waving toward the elderly sun-darkened man "and was hoping that he would look upon us with favor by bestowing whatever grand quest he has before us!"

[sblock= Marching Order]
Vax would have no problem with the 2 and 3 wide options. He will very likely insist on being first in a single file situation unless there is no light at all effectively making him blind. Even then he will probably still place himself in the front to protect the group from whatever terrible fiend rendered them without a light source.
[/sblock]

[sblock= Vax]
Vax

[sblock=Raging]
AC: 14 (Flat-footed: 12, Touch: 10)
HP: 15/15
CMB: +7 CMD: 19
Fort: +6 Ref: +2 Will: +4
Speed: 30'

Perception: +4
Initiative: +2

Primary Weapon: Crusher (+7, 2d6+9/x3)
Ranged Weapon: Javelin (+3, 1d6+6/x2)
Special Attack Options: Power Attack: -1 Attack, +3 Damage
[/sblock]

[sblock=Not Raging]
AC: 16 (Flat-footed: 14, Touch: 12)
HP: 13/13
CMB: +5 CMD: 17
Fort: +4 Ref: +2 Will: +2
Speed: 30'

Perception: +4
Initiative: +2

Primary Weapon: Crusher (+5, 2d6+6/x3)
Ranged Weapon: Javelin (+3, 1d6+4/x2)
Special Attack Options: Power Attack: -1 Attack, +3 Damage
[/sblock]
Current Conditions in Effect: None

Vax (Chronikoce) - Living Pathfinder RPG Wiki
[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
The dwarf claps his hands. "With circumstances arranged so positively, Cavernous Hode cannot but feel the love of the horned maiden is surely in the bag." He licks his hand and smooths down the few remaining hairs crossing the top of his skull. "There! Cavernous Hode is now exceptionally dapper. He thinks it best to proceed in haste and buckle such swashes as are called for." He hesitates. "Uh, what is it that Cavernous Hode is supposed to do again?"

[sblock=Marching Order]Cavernous Hode's pet is a decent scout, and Cavernous Hode himself is no slouch either. Especially in caves, Mister Dickens and Cavernous Hode will be best on point.[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The man looks to each of you in shocked surprise. He looks to be overwhelmed for a moment and starts at the sight of Crusher.

But as the group talks he becomes visibly more relaxed and even gains a small smile. "You... you can help me?" he asks slightly frightened. "I was looking for some people who helped me before, but they don't seem to be here. I don't know where else to look."

He looks to each of you before more words come bursting out. "An evil man tried to kill one of my farmhands. He lied to him and took him to a cave full of zombies, but then Pip escaped and came back to warn me. I left to find help," he says all in a rush. "Please can you stop Zarrin before he comes looking for Pip, or me?"

[sblock=OOC]You could make a Knowledge(local) check to see if you know anything about a man named Zarrin.

Also love all the RP (hate that I was at work while it went on).[/sblock]

vmaaxt

First Post
"I don't know how much we will be able to help, Mr... I don't believe I caught your name? As I said, I don't want to promise any results. But my mission requires me to try. You said you hired some adventurers before? For what purpose? Who did you hire? We might be able to find them and ask them some questions about what they did, if these events are related.

And I need some more details about what happened, before we can do anything. This Mr. Pippen, where is he? And how did he escape? I would very much like to speak with him about the nature of his encounter. Why was he chosen by this Mr... Zarrin, was it? I don't know anything about him. Could you tell me more about him, please? Why has he decided to raid your farm? And why would he keep a cave full of undead a secret? And why would you not bring Mr. Pippen with you, instead choosing to leave him alone at the farm? Something is not adding up, and I need a more complete picture of the situation.

[Sblock=ooc]Something is fishy. Sense motive.

EDIT: sorry first pbp. Still getting used to the dice roller. Pick whichever one you want.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Chronikoce

First Post
Vax (Lvl 1)

Vax looks at Aedger like he is crazy before addressing the elderly man "I for one would be happy to help. I don't know what Aedger here is going on about but if you have a cave full of zombies that need crushing then you can sign me up!"

Turning to Aedger "What good is all this jibber jabber, to me the situation is quite clear. A bad man has used his cave full of zombies to make this poor farmer's life and that of his hand unbearable. How can you even think of seeking these other heroes down? Passing our chance at glory to another group of adventurers is a preposterous notion!"

Vax has a worried look on his face as he glances back and forth between Hode and Damaris "Surely you both do not wish this great adventure to pass on to another group?"

soulnova

Explorer
"Alright, seems like this Zannir is up to no good. Don't worry sir, I know life in a farm is harsh, no need to make it harsher with a crazy man and cave full of zombies" she pats the man in the shoulder.

Remove ads