[LPF] The Cave of (Un)Death

Systole

First Post
"The process seems simple enough to Cavernous Hode. Step One: Venture out to the distraught gentleman's farm. Step Three: Return to the Dunn Wright Inn singing songs of only slightly embellished victory in order to win the heart and bodice of the horned maiden. Simplicity itself!"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Oh? My name? I'm sorry I was so relieved to find help, I just wanted..." he starts to say then takes a deep breath."My name is Farmer Jezz. A few years ago I had trouble with kobolds raiding my farm and heroes from this very inn, a halfling Pari and his tiger - Tagaiwi, a gnome priestess -Zelena Adu, the bravo - Orlando Furioso, and the warriors - Mordjn from the northern isles and Tahn Staful, all helped stop their raids."

He looks to Damaris and asks, "May I have a seat."

The woman nods with a smile and the older man takes a seat and continues his story. "I came looking for them, but any help would be welcome. For any reason." He adds with a look to the dwarf.

"Two days ago the wizard Zarrin came to the farm. He was courteous and said he was passing through on his way to Tritower to seek an apprentice. It was late and we invited him in to share supper, with us. The evening went well and he entertained everyone with his illusions and such. Pip became so enamored he asked if Zarrin would take him as his apprentice." His look is soft and his words ring true. (Sense Motive DC 0)

"In the morning they both left. I was sorry to see the boy go and would have stopped him had I known Zarrin's true nature."

Chronikoce

First Post
Vax (Lvl 1)

Vax looks to Hode with a chuckle "Well if Damaris here is a great singer then I am sure the adventure our new friend here has for us will do wonders for you."

He listens intently to Farmer Jezz speaking. When Jezz mentions that this unsavory man ate dinner with his family before taking off with the hand for his dark deeds the expression on Vax's face darkens considerably. "Evil that parades around as friendly is the worst sort! I prefer the type that will challenge you to an epic battle of sorts."
He leans back into his chair and and relaxes as he makes up his mind for certain "I will definitely help you deal with this character. Both Zarrin and his zombie minions will fall before 'Crusher' and my companions here or I will perish trying to bring about his demise!"

vmaaxt

First Post
Aedger Beinn (Aasimar Cleric)

"Thank you, Mr. Jezz. This wizard, Mr. Zarrin, I've not had a chance to encounter him before. He took your farmhand with him, under the guise of being an apprentice, and then took him to a cave of zombies? Hmm. I would very much like to speak with this Mr. Pip. Where can we find him? Also, did Mr. Zarrin tell you where he was coming from? Do you know where this cave is? It strikes me as odd that an Evil necromancer would spend time entertaining a family and their friends, only to draw one of them into the clutches of the undead the next day. Do you remember anything else that could help us find this Mr. Zarrin?

Quietly to his companions, "Mr. Hode, I do believe that you missed a step in your plan. Something in between going to the farm, and returning with tales of victory; perhaps actually obtaining that victory? I realize that this may complicate your plan, but I think it will make the difference when convincing Ms. Marla. A story cannot be bodice-rippingly good without an air of truth to it.

"Mr. Vax, I wasn't trying to pass off your chance at glory. I was merely trying to see if they might know something that would help. It is moot, as the events seem unrelated, but always remember that Knowledge is as powerful a weapon as the heavi- wait. Did you say 'perish?' Wait. Waitwaitwaitwait. No. Let's cool down for a minute here. None of us need to perish. You can, if you want, but may I suggest that we assess the situation some more before we commit to anything, especially perishing?"

"Ms. Damaris, I'm not sure that Zarrin is necessarily our enemy. The story we have so far is quite incomplete, and there are holes large enough for a dragon to fly thorough. I would have thought a practiced storyteller as yourself would have noticed that Mr. Jezz has told us almost nothing about how Mr. Pip escaped, or what the Wizard's plans were, perhaps the most important parts of the story. He may simply not know, and I hope this is the case, but I prefer to avoid judging people until I have sufficient evidence. Further, I have my doubts as to weather it's actually his cave of undead. I was speaking with some adventurers in the common room, who hunted down a necromancer who controlled the undead, but he couldn't create them. They must have been coming from somewhere. Perhaps this cave is the source. Also, when we actually meet Mr. Zarrin, please don't call him crazy. People hate being called crazy.

"Something is up. I have my doubts about this story. He said the wizard entertained them with illusions, but he implied that he's a necromancer. Not a terribly likely combination, I think. I think we should ask in the common area about some of these people. I would like to ask Mr. Grog about Farmer Jezz, since they seemed to know each other. I'd also like to ask some of the adventurers I talked to earlier about Mr. Zarrin, see if they have heard the name before. Maybe he's related with the necromancer they took down earlier."
With that, he slinks into the common area, quietly closing the door behind him.

[sblock=ooc]I'm going to head out into the tavern thread, and ask the group that just got back if they know anything. I'm also going to ask Grog and Marla if they know anything about Jezz, Zarrin, and necromancers in general.

[sblock=marching order]@chronikoce: How would Vax feel about a split group march when in the dark? Aedger, Hode, and Blue out far enough that Darkvision doesn't get disrupted, and he gets to be in the light, and protect Damaris. Aedger can cast light on Crusher and make it glow like a big, smacky torch.[/sblock]

I assume I would have waited for the answers/replies to this wall of text before I headed out to the common area.

Be back in this thread in a day or so.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
"Well, Cavernous Hode thought that he would simply deal with Step Two when the details became more apparent."

He studies Vax as the barbarian makes his declaration. "Cavernous Hode thinks perhaps he will be standing behind the mighty warrior when it comes to the part where he starts swinging his hammer with the intent to bring about someone's demise. Yes, Cavernous Hode thinks this may be the wisest option."

"Orlando Furioso? A strange name, as Cavernous Hode sees it. Still, one wonders what must have become of such an oddly-monikered gentleman, who began his adventuring career defending barnyards from small hordes of rampaging bipedal lizards. Perhaps he is at this very moment exploing lost temples deep in ancient and uncharted mountains, with a beautiful warrior maiden and a humorous bumbling sidekick for company ... fighting off hideous abominations at every step ... discovering ancient unearthed magics ... plundering vast treasures lost to the depths of time ... all while evading deadly traps and trials, in order to forestall the rise of an all-consuming evil god." The dwarf shrugs. "Or perhaps he retired and became a pig farmer. It could have gone either way, Cavernous Hode thinks."

Last edited:

soulnova

Explorer
"My goodess, Brother Aedger! You need to relax. We might not have all the details, but we will get there in due time. Otherwise, where is the fun in life?" she nudges him with a wink.

"I think we should ask in the common area about some of these people."

All the smiles and giggles disappear from her face. "Ah... uhm... there's a small problem about that" she glances back at the door. "There's someone out there I rather not meet, not just yet. Nothing to worry about, is not dangerous, but I fear it might result in an awkward and overly dramatic situation"

"I guess you could handle asking around pretty well. You do seem to have a way with words after all" she says jokingly. "When the time comes to leave, I would appreciate if I can leave the room behind all of you. Just to make sure."

Chronikoce

First Post
Vax (Lvl 1)

Vax listens intently for a short while but his eyes start wandering around the room as Aedger continues talking. His attention is returned when he hears his name and 'Glory' said in the same sentence and he is only moderately disappointed that it was an assurance that the group will not be avoiding glory (rather than someone attributing glory to him already).

"Well you can deal with all that questioning people business." He shakes his head with a look on his face that conveys his dislike for information gathering. "As for perishing, well I would prefer to stay alive to revel in my achievements but if I have to choose between saving myself and saving others then I think that is a sacrifice that I would be able to make... yes I do think I could live with that." Realizing he made a rather odd pun Vax lets out a deep hearty laugh and his seriousness washes away once more.

As Hode begins speaking Vax's attention turns to him clearly entranced by the images of glory and adventure that he is describing so well "Well I hope for that man's sake that he choose not to be a pig farmer, the previous occupation sounds far more worthy of bodice ripping stories and if this lowly adventurer went from defending barnyards to that, then we too have hope for our future!"

As Damaris speaks Vax nods his head "Ah you found the words that I could not! If we know the answer to everything before we leave then where will the exciting twist and turns occur to make the story of our adventure that much more exciting!?" A look of concern crosses Vax's face as she expresses worry about the common room but it passes when Damaris explains its merely to avoid an awkward situation "I am sure we can figure a way to get you outside without drawing attention. That or I do seem to have a way with gathering attention to myself" pauses thinking for a moment "Never really understand how that always happens though..." before returning his attention to Damaris "With zombies ahead I'm sure we can handle so simple a task as leaving the inn." He says with a smile.

[sblock=ooc]
[MENTION=6696448]vmaaxt[/MENTION] Vax would be conderned for those going ahead alone but spinning it as keeping Damaris safe would overcome his hesitation. Probably best to go with our 2 abreast method though since that will keep the group together and thereby avoid the most dangerous beast of all (splitting the party hehe).
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jezz hesitates a few seconds trying to follow the conversations. But the poor simple farmer is unsure what exactly is going on.

He bobs his head as he says, "Pip came running back that same day, but left again to go hide in the woods around the farm. He always said no one knew them better than he did. But before he left to go hide he told me of the cave he and Zarrin went to and the things he saw that scared him into fleeing."

He scratches his cheek remembering, "He said that the cave was a few miles west of the muddy creek and had tall fir trees, like devil horns, growing above it. There's a path he said and if you find it then you can't miss the cave."

Taking a deep breath he continues, "Pip said that once inside, the walls seem to glow with a sickly green light, and a moaning could be heard echoing off the walls. He must have already been on edge when he saw the rotting corpses. When he told me what happen you could see it in his eyes that he will never forget what he saw. They moved right towards him and Zarrin, but the mage didn't flinch. Pip saw the man reach out and pat one on the head."

"Then he tells me that on the trip Zarrin said some strange things to him. Like when he asked about what they were going to do for supper the mage just laughed and said that won't be a problem. Or when he said his feet ached from walking the man smirked and said it will be the last time they hurt. That's what brought me here. I know Zarrin was plotting something evil to do to Pip. And until he is captured or killed well then no one is truly safe."

[sblock=OOC] Didn't wish to post all of this in one big post. So I cut it short waiting for the "Tell us more" post form all of you. LOL

That about sums it up and a Sense Motive DC 0 tells you that he's not lying.

Next part is to leave the inn and wind up at the cave (next day so spells could change if you wish).

RP yourselves leaving the Inn in that thread.

And thegroup goes to Farmer Jezz's place for the night and starts towards the cave in the morning.[/sblock]

Chronikoce

First Post
Vax (Lvl 1)

As farmer Jezz finishes up his explanation of events Vax once more has a look of excitement on his face "Well I don't know about the rest of you but I think I have enough information. I may not be the best person to judge this fellows intent but it seems to me that he did plan on adding one more zombie to his horde with Pip!"

Standing up from the table he grabs Farmer Jezz's hand and gives it a good shake "I will gather up our talkative companion from the other room and the rest of us should be able to meet you at your farm by tomorrow."

Vax seems excited as he turns to Hode "How would you like to help me create a slight commotion as we collect that Aedger fellow from the common room so that Damaris here can avoid that worrisome situation she mentioned earlier?" He seems to pause as he contemplates various plans of distraction "I imagine breaking another table would be in poor taste... and it would hinder our ability to leave to deal with these zombies..." A long pause follows as he thinks before turning to Damaris with a sigh "I am not nearly as good at planning distractions as I am at implenenting them. Do you have any ideas for actions that Valerous Hode and I might take to help your stealthy escape?"

[sblock=ooc]
Haha, yeah Vax isn't big on needing info. I was hoping Aedger would cover that but he got distracted by suspicion it seems. Poor Farmer Jezz probably has a good story to tell his family just from coming to find the 'crazy adventurers' to save his farm.
[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
"Cavernous Hode informs the resident singer-songwriter that he has her surruptitious withdrawal covered. He believes the proper expression is 'No problemo!' Come on, Mister Dickens. It is time to .... create a distraction."

He move his head from side to side, cracking his vertebrae, as a hideous feind of a dire rat scurries down from the rafters where it had been lurking. The dwarf takes a deep breath and the pair set out into the common room.
[sblock= Mini Stats]
CavernousHode_150.jpg
MisterDickens100.jpg

Cavernous Hode
AC: 15 (13 flat-footed, 12 touch)
HP: 20/20
CMB: +1 CMD: 13
Fort: +5 Reflex: +2 Will: +7
Speed: 20'

Perception: +9
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: Heavy Pick (+2, 1d6+1/x4), Wand of CLW
Current Conditions in Effect: None

0th level spells (DC 14): Create Water, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st level spells (DC 15): Entangle, Expeditious Excavation, Obscuring Mist

Mister Dickens
AC: 15 (11 flat-footed, 15 touch)
HP: 23/23
CMB: +1 CMD: 14 (17 vs. Trip)
Fort: +4 Reflex: +6 Will: +2
Speed: 40', 20' Swim, 20' Climb

Perception: +5
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: Natural weapons (+5, 1d4/x2)
Current Conditions in Effect: None[/sblock]

Remove ads