Male Gendered Lupine Hivemind Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Rystil Arden said:
I thought it was cool at first, but in practise it was awful for several reasons. For one, people who wanted to play versatile psions were screwed from the beginning because they had to have good scores in all 6 stats just to cast all the disciplines. For two, using Strength for Egoist powers (which were often powerful buffs to make you even stronger), led to massively powerful melee egoists (this still exists to a much lesser extent with the 3.5 Psychic Warriors who retained those buffs, though at least Strength isn't the ability score of choice)
In practice, I enjoyed it and played a Psion into Epic levels.

I thought it was a cool disadvantage to not be able to manifest all the powers (which they've now replicated with the domain-like structure but then threw in the Extra Power feat or whatever).

Strength for Egoist powers I thought was cool because it meant a Psion could take those cool Psionic melee feats, but still wouldn't be as good in a melee fight as a Fighter (due to low BAB, low HP, much fewer feats, etc).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
In practice, I enjoyed it and played a Psion into Epic levels.

I thought it was a cool disadvantage to not be able to manifest all the powers (which they've now replicated with the domain-like structure but then threw in the Extra Power feat or whatever).

Strength for Egoist powers I thought was cool because it meant a Psion could take those cool Psionic melee feats, but still wouldn't be as good in a melee fight as a Fighter (due to low BAB, low HP, much fewer feats, etc).
I also played a psion using the system into epic levels. My Telepath who took some Egoist powers was unstoppable in melee...no Fighter could compete, and that worried me greatly.

Also, the Domain-like structure is a vast improvement. Not being able to manifest the coolest powers of each discipline is a good trade-off. Losing the entire discipline over ability scores is a disaster, especially playing a low PB.

Jdvn1

Rystil Arden said:
I also played a psion using the system into epic levels. My Telepath who took some Egoist powers was unstoppable in melee...no Fighter could compete, and that worried me greatly.

Also, the Domain-like structure is a vast improvement. Not being able to manifest the coolest powers of each discipline is a good trade-off. Losing the entire discipline over ability scores is a disaster, especially playing a low PB.
Well, low Will Saves will kill a Fighter any day.

And I don't think it's that big of a difference, except maybe with low PB. I never liked low PBs, though, for a variety of reasons. My Psion had most of his stats really high.

Rystil Arden

First Post
My Psion had most of his stats really high.
Ah, then you got a biased view of the system. Frankly, if most of your stats were high anyways, then you would not see much of a change under either one...But it still is crazy when the Telepath outfights the Fighter in melee.

Jdvn1

Rystil Arden said:
Ah, then you got a biased view of the system. Frankly, if most of your stats were high anyways, then you would not see much of a change under either one...But it still is crazy when the Telepath outfights the Fighter in melee.
I rolled decently on 4d6dl, but I also put my stat increases in my lower stats so I could manifest from other disciplines.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Torm said:
I haven't, dear child. :) But, I WAS in the hospital for a week with mycoplasmic pneumonia (that must've been enhanced somehow by Bane to get past my Divine Health), and was extremely sick for most of the week before I broke down and went to the doctor, and I'm only just now (yesterday, actually) getting back into the swing of posting much.

But here I am. :D

And no doubt glad to be back, just as we are to have him back. :D

Remember that sig virus that went around? Torm got a mutated version created by Bane that had gotten past that whole Divine Health thing.... That must've been where ya got it, and it "hibernated" until the right time. :]

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Kemrain said:
My Star Wars game is starting soon. Excitedment! Me and my +20-to-Hide-and-Move-Silently-at-3rd-level-ey Goodness.

- Kemrain Snake.

Hope it goes better than my, so far, one foray into Star Wars RPG... Ended up having to figure out how to create a character in that system, with the differences between it and D&D getting in my way, all by myself. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads