• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Martial vs Caster: Removing the "Magical Dependencies" of high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadan

Explorer
I know a lot of people who assume wizards have to be born with a capacity for magic that not everyone has.
Based on Ed Greenwood's twitter post, it is, at least it is what it work in FR setting. You have to be born with a capacity for magic to wield any kind of magic, even for divine caster, 1/2 or 1/3 caster. And only small number of them become wizard.

Edit: And the chance a human born with that capacity is very low except place like Halruaa where generations of caster boots the chance A LOT higher.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Based on Ed Greenwood's twitter post, it is, at least it is what it work in FR setting. You have to be born with a capacity for magic to wield any kind of magic, even for divine caster, 1/2 or 1/3 caster. And only small number of them become wizard.
However then you have nations like Halruua, where even common laborers learn to use cantrips. And the Realms is lousy with casters of all levels, so I don't think this is a particularly rare trait.

Hussar

Legend
You're spinning. Way more have 2 than 0 and if you were fairly characterizing the poll that would be the focus. Focusing on the minority number as "fairly large chunk" when you quibble with 50% being a majority (in a poll which isn't of all games just 8th level and above) is pretty telling.

And you still have not responded to the point I was making with that post. Like that people like playing those characters.

This doesn't seem like a productive conversation with you anymore Hussar given this trend. You're being dismissive of other people's views at this point with spin.
I see, calling 30% a large chunk is "spinning" but calling less than 50% "most" is being open and honest. And I'm being the one who's being dismissive?

Again, if you don't think there's an issue here. If you don't want a mythic fighter class, why are you in a thread discussing what a mythic fighter would look like? Why are you insisting that there is no problem and we don't need a mythic fighter? That's not the question.

But, sure, I'm the one who's being dismissive.

I would thought (I don't know, it's one of the few books I don't have but been eye balling it) Theros would have had a mythic type martial. That's kind of where I'm at on the topic. I don't think the core rules needs a mythic martial, but a source book that leans into that theme would be a good way to do it. This is all my crummy opinion of course, take that how you will I'm not trying to ruin anyone's way of playing.

Incenjucar

Legend
I would thought (I don't know, it's one of the few books I don't have but been eye balling it) Theros would have had a mythic type martial. That's kind of where I'm at on the topic. I don't think the core rules needs a mythic martial, but a source book that leans into that theme would be a good way to do it. This is all my crummy opinion of course, take that how you will I'm not trying to ruin anyone's way of playing.
Yeah, that would have been a perfect place to introduce classes akin to Greek and Roman heroes.

Hussar

Legend
Honestly? That's probably a good place for it. A sort of 5e version of the Epic Level Handbook, although starting at 11th level and mostly not being filled with more toys for casters. IOW, a "Mythic Setting" book, with a 9th to 20th level adventure, a chapter long setting guide a la Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and a 20-30 page guide for how to do Mythic without just saying, "play a caster".

Chaosmancer

Legend
From official sources, i think so, yes.

If the things you desire are a new class and/or a radical revamp of old classes or the system? Yeah, I don't see that happening, and there's no need for it. 3pp and homebrew can solve these issues. Insisting that WotC do it seems silly to me, and a waste of effort.

Cool... so other than declaring we are all wasting our time trying to change the status quo do you have anything of actual value to add to the discussion?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Cool... so other than declaring we are all wasting our time trying to change the status quo do you have anything of actual value to add to the discussion?
I suggested thinking about the entire mythic martial class, not just the high level part that people actually want. And I urged folks to put some thought into the narrative that justifies the class in the book, since otherwise its just a pile of special abilities that only exist for mechanical reasons. Those are IMO important questions that need to be answered should anyone create some 3pp or homebrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads