• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Marvel Studios’ Secret Invasion | New Official Trailer | Disney+

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Man Ritson is an idiot. He's not an idiot for wanting to take out the skrulls (honestly, I completely understand that), but to go on national television and basically tell the world "yeah your neighbor might be an alien"..... I mean of course that's going to create mass hysteria. He should have said some terrorist element trying to implicate the russians....keep things calm on the surface, and then go do some undercover assassinations.
I thought there would be a last scene reveal that Ritson has been a skrull all along, and his anti-alien policy is just another tack to drive more skrulls to the "why don't we just take the earth from the humans?" cause.

And they just hand-waved how she got all of those powers. The DNA samples were in a type of glass phial that has to have the neck snapped off, in order to access the contents. There was also just one sample shown. Then again they placed this sealed glass container into a "machine" of some sort in order to pass the traits on to Gravik, so who knows? Did Fury have the same sort of machine? Unlikely.

Yeah, as I said before, this just didn't grab me. Even "Falcon and the Winter Soldier" engaged me more than did this.
Also fake Fury acts like the radiation is supposedly intense enough to kill him in an hour, which would, y'know, destroy DNA.

Also all the hostages would be dead.

Man, this show.

Stalker0

Legend
Also fake Fury acts like the radiation is supposedly intense enough to kill him in an hour, which would, y'know, destroy DNA.

Also all the hostages would be dead.

Man, this show.
Oh that was the other thing, what was up with all of those dead skrulls outside the facility where Gravik was? Did he go on a murder spree of his own people or something?

pukunui

Legend
I haven't watched this yet, and the commentary in this thread is making me not really want to, but I'm wondering - Captain Marvel ended with Danvers supposedly going off to help the Skrulls find a new homeworld. This show seems to be imply that some (if not all?) of the Skrulls stayed behind on Earth ... or did they come back to Earth after failing to find a new home? I'm confused.

MarkB

Legend
I actually think Gravik was a solid villain, much more well-rounded than the usual Marvel fare.

And like Killmonger.....he was kind of right. I mean let's be honest Fury absolutely used and dumped his people. And realistically his views on humans was probably correct...as soon as humans found out that Skrulls lived among us....the shootings began. Now of course you can counter and say "well if the skrulls hadn't done terrible things this wouldn't have happened".

But...lets dig deep and really think about our species for a moment, is that really true? Do you think humans would really accept an alien race living next door that could literally change into any person at will, pretend to be your friend, your family, your lover?. I don't, I think that kind of violence was ultimately inevitable. So Gravik's has a solid point.

Then combined that with the absolute rage he feels at Fury. This was effectively a father figure that literally made Gravik kill for him, abandoned him, and broke every promise he made to his people. Yeah that's going to warp you.

But like so many charismatic leaders before him, Gravik just started to believe his own hype a bit too much. Started pushing his people a bit too far, dismissing any criticism, killing anyone who stepped just a bit out of line. We see that with the internal coup that failed, and its an all-too-common tale that is very understandable.

Frankly my only issue with the character was that he died too much like a chump. Literally one of the strongest creatures we have seen on screen killed in mere minutes.... a real waste.
This is part of why I bailed after the first episode - because the premise of the show required the characters to have dropped the ball in ways we wouldn't expect based on what we know of them. Is there really any way that the Danvers and Fury we see at the end of Captain Marvel wouldn't have done more in forty years to find the Skrulls a proper long-term living solution than they'd done as of the start of this series?

It's not the first time we've had this off-screen idiot ball stuff. Like Sharon Carter in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, embittered by having been left out to dry in the aftermath of Civil War - which requires us to believe that the man who broke into a submersible super-prison to rescue his friends would have left her to face the music alone.

Ryujin

Legend
I haven't watched this yet, and the commentary in this thread is making me not really want to, but I'm wondering - Captain Marvel ended with Danvers supposedly going off to help the Skrulls find a new homeworld. This show seems to be imply that some (if not all?) of the Skrulls stayed behind on Earth ... or did they come back to Earth after failing to find a new home? I'm confused.
Probably continued immigration to Earth, during the intervening years, as it seemed to be a generally hospitable place to go.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
In this Fury says as much as they tried they couldn’t find a planet. Most of the Skrulls arrived during the chaos of the Blip - a 5 yr window where there was very little organised government to stop them

pukunui

Legend
Aha. OK. So the show does at least make brief mention of it. Thanks.

Are there any obvious lead-ins for The Marvels? Jackson has supposedly said that the two are connected in "interesting ways" and that the movie "couldn't have happened" without the show.

Ryujin

Legend
Aha. OK. So the show does at least make brief mention of it. Thanks.

Are there any obvious lead-ins for The Marvels? Jackson has supposedly said that the two are connected in "interesting ways" and that the movie "couldn't have happened" without the show.
Nothing specific that I saw. The new war on all people of off-planet origin is the only likely candidate that I saw.

Remove ads