• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks and Stunning Fist

Belbarid

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
An example 20th level wizard with a Con of 14 (already high, mind you), bear's endurance, and a cloak of resistance +5, has a +6+4+5 on the Fort save, total +15. If by mid-twenties you mean 25, then the wizard fails it in just under half the time (45%). I have no freakin' idea how that wizard is gonna get another +10 to his Fort save. I don't even wanna know 'cause that is MOST certainly way way way in the extreme of cases.

On the other hand, I don't know what 'stunning blow' is. :p

My Mis-Typing of Stunning Fist. :eek:

Well, start off with a base Con of closer to 20 than 14. Give said wizard a +4 inherant bonus to Con (Wish, book, whatever- same went for most of his stats) for a total of around 24 now. Add a Belt of Endurance +6 to +8 (closer to the latter as we went on in the campaign) for a total of at least 30 now. And yes, a Cloak of Resistance of at least +5.

Extreme? Ummm... Yeah. The magic got way the heck out of control early on, and little was done to reign things in.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Wizard 20
Base +6
Con 18, +2 (Dwarf), +4 (levels) 24
Ability +7
Great Fortitude
Feats +2
Cloak of Resistance +5, Belt of Con +6
+8 magic items

Fort +23 at 20th level. It would be +29 for a fighter. That's without any multiclassing or very expensive magic items, such as tomes. Any 20th level character who hasn't done everything in his power to get a Cloak of Resistance +5 is just begging to die. Heck, a wizard can craft that sucker himself, and if he has brain one he'll do it.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Belbarid said:
Well, start off with a base Con of closer to 20 than 14. Give said wizard a +4 inherant bonus to Con (Wish, book, whatever- same went for most of his stats) for a total of around 24 now. Add a Belt of Endurance +6 to +8 (closer to the latter as we went on in the campaign) for a total of at least 30 now. And yes, a Cloak of Resistance of at least +5.

Extreme? Ummm... Yeah. The magic got way the heck out of control early on, and little was done to reign things in.
Whoa. I was right when I said I didn't want to know. Epic-level campaigns can easily get out of hand. You could have just said, "It's epic. Don't ask." But then, your dissenting opinion wouldn't really be valid. :)

MoogleEmpMog, I hope that was just for the exercise of it. That's an absolutely ludicrous workup you did. I wrote "example" for a reason. Maybe I should have wrote 'exemplary wizard 20', but I didn't want to sound pretentious. Here's why it's ludicrous: What idiot wizard puts 4/5 ability points in Con? How stupid is that? What idiot wizard spends 16/25 points on Con? Like I said, I was generous with a 14 Con.

Remove ads