• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mortal Kombat (Recruitment Closed)

moritheil

First Post
Albedo said:
Spellcasting can take place anytime anywhere as long as your able to do so and it does not effect other characters (in a negetive way mostly).

So I'm not allowed to, say, build a conjurer that sends fiends to assassinate people while they sleep, then bring the bodies back so I can turn them in? It greatly alters gameplay balance if players will not have to defend themselves at all times (I had assumed that they would, since you said challenges could take place at all times.) If they do have to defend themselves at all times, I'm afraid I don't understand the reasoning behind restricting spellcasting during off-hours, when presumably a rogue can sneak into someone's bedroom and knife them with the same result.

I also have questions regarding other challenges. Must they be verbal, or can I build, say, an assassin to one-shot kill/subdue someone from hiding as a "challenge?" It messes with rogue classes if a challenge has to be declared, because that gives away their presence.

I assume that ring-out penalties apply if fighting in a ring. Can someone run away from an unofficial challenge, and return to deal with the challenger later, or is running away considered a forfeit?

Do characters know the schedule of fights, or can they find out?

Are spells used going to be posted openly and by name, thus leading to the possibility of other players reading posts and knowing what a character uses, or will you vaguely describe the effects unless someone makes a skill check (thus making Spellcraft important)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have found that different campaigns tend to have very different approaches to these issues, and the issues make a huge difference for some characters. (For example, if I play an evoker who uses fireball all the time, and someone's cleric casts spell immunity: fireball, I'm screwed. I don't think this should happen without that cleric watching a prior fight and making a Spellcraft check, or getting the information from someone who did that. But of course, I'm not the DM, so I have to ask.)

Last edited:

Albedo

First Post
Alrighty, heres the scoop. When I refered to spellcasting restrictions (ex. negetive effects on other PCs) I forgot to mention that these limitations take place only inside the main banquet hall (essentially the safe zone). Once you leave this area, its no holds barred. Now, as for challenges to other characters (NPC or PC) these will be verbal and must be agreed upon by both parties. Once it is agreed upon, you may pick how many people participate and where it shall be held and then it becomes an official match and mediaters will take you to the arena.

Now, there are three more basic questions to be answered.

1. How will combat posts work.

In order to maintain a fair and equal environment, all actions of the characters will be e-mailed to me, including the rolls, and then I shall post a description in the gameplay thread. I will reveal what the characters know about each other (due to skills checks, and knowledge checks and the like) at that time.

2. How the matches will work.

Once you and your opponent start a match, there is no real restriction on what you can do. You don't have to stay in the arena, there are no ring outs (though there are situational hazards) and your not under any obligations to finish the match. However, you won't be allowed to get back into the safe area until your match is finished, which brings me to my third question.

3. Can fights take place outside of matches.

Once somebody leaves the safe area, they can be targetted by anyone else. Matches can be interfered with, victors can be ambushed coming back to the safe area, anything anybody can think of doing in order to hinder other players or get ahead is allowed. Just remember that if you go out hunting, everyone else is entitled to go hunting after you.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Albedo said:
Alrighty, heres the scoop. When I refered to spellcasting restrictions (ex. negetive effects on other PCs) I forgot to mention that these limitations take place only inside the main banquet hall (essentially the safe zone).
Hmm. So the resting quarters are not safe? Is there anything stopping characters from living/sleeping in the main hall?
Albedo said:
Once you and your opponent start a match, there is no real restriction on what you can do. You don't have to stay in the arena, there are no ring outs (though there are situational hazards) and your not under any obligations to finish the match. However, you won't be allowed to get back into the safe area until your match is finished, which brings me to my third question.
My character's challenged by a CE ninja. As soon as he match beigns the ninja shouts "NINJA MAGIC", disappears, and legs it out of the arena. Is my character now stuck on the outside for as long as his opponent wants? (Or until he can somehow find and corner the ninja.)

BTW: This calls for some (minor) changes to my character. Can you give us a final warning before the characters are "locked down"?

IcyCool

First Post
I'll get my character emailed to you this evening. I'll also try and get a secondary character put in by that time as well.

Question

First Post
Take a few ranks in UMD? For many classes it is a CC skill, and the DC for suceeding on casting with a wand of CLW is 16. You would need to spend 12 skill points to suceed at it 50% of the time on average.

IcyCool

First Post
Question said:
Take a few ranks in UMD? For many classes it is a CC skill, and the DC for suceeding on casting with a wand of CLW is 16. You would need to spend 12 skill points to suceed at it 50% of the time on average.

Hey, I'm not going to build your character for you. ;)

If you feel you have to build a cleric to be competitive, that's your call. I didn't build a cleric, and I think I'll do fine.

moritheil

First Post
Bad news (or good news, depending on how you look at it) - I'm afraid I won't be able to participate. A campaign I am running has attracted a bit more interest than I expected, and I think the best thing I can do is to give it my full attention rather than kick out half the applicants.

Thanks for your patience, Albedo, and I hope some of the questions I asked helped others here!

Good luck, everyone, and I'll see you around the rules forum (except for Question, whom I will presumably see elsewhere first. ;) )

Last edited:

Remove ads