NFL Week 13

Crothian

First Post
Stone Angel said:
Who plays tommorow on MNF?

The great game features the Seahawks and the Cowboys.....

I'm just hoping the Colts win out so they get the number 3 seed. I'd perfer them facing the Patriots in the second round of the Playoffs (I'm betting they will get there) then having them face the Steelers then. But I cannot remember a year that had so many hot teams steam rolling their way into the playoffs.

Laurel

First Post
Redskins win, and the fans feel hope at long last... granted all the talk around here (DC area) is that Gibbs is the sole reason they won. Not that playing against a rookie QB, or anything else had to do with it. Gibbs is the saint of Washington football and with winning last night by such a huge point spread it now has to be true. :)

Eagles won again, so TO can get his attitude back on after crushing Green Bay.

The eagles clenched last week (only one I paid attention to), but what does everyone think of the others?

Laurel

First Post
Felix said:
MY PREDICTION: If the Skins' Offense ends up with a 33:00 or more time of posession, the Skins will beat the Eagles next week.
I think they will hold and give the eagles a good fight through the entire game, but still have to put down that eagles will win. I think both sides will end up playing for blood towards the second half, so it's just who can outlast whom.

Ah, next week will be the best for an eagles fan in DC :) And if the skins win the best weekend for DC :)

Mystery Man

First Post
Nice close up of Bret Favre mouthing the word...."Wow."

I was thinking a few more juicy choice words myself but "wow" will suffice.

That Roethlisberger kid is the real deal. Much was said about Peyton Manning's rookie season several years back, and how poised and seasoned he looked, but the Steeler's rookie QB, with much fewer expectations, is just lighting up the field.

Roethlisberger came out of nowhere because the sports media spin machine was too in love with Eli Manning. QB contoversies make the news.

Roth just has just got the head of a QB, and the physical talent to back it, great player. However, the playoffs are another story.

Crothian

First Post
Mystery Man said:
Roth just has just got the head of a QB, and the physical talent to back it, great player. However, the playoffs are another story.

Ya, but a really good running game and defense helps more in the playoffs.

drothgery

First Post
Crothian said:
Ya, but a really good running game and defense helps more in the playoffs.

This is one of those persistent myths that won't go away. The playoffs aren't any different than the regular season, and success in the NFL is almost always based on the passing game and stopping the pass.

Felix

Explorer
success in the NFL is almost always based on the passing game and stopping the pass.
Tell that to the Ravens of '01 and the Bucks of '03. They had very powerful defenses and not much going for them on the offensive side of the ball. Seriously, most of the time their offenses couldn't get more than one first down in a row.

squat45

First Post
Passing is WAY over-rated

In the playoffs, you NEED a strong D, ask the Pack or Indy after last year... and as other posts have mentioned, the Ravens and Bucs of the past won despite their offense. It's a very rare team that will win with a big offense and no D, especially against a tough D like Pitt or NE (especially outdoors). Remember, playoff time in Pittsburgh or Foxborough can make for a cold, snowy game.

Tell you what, the AFC really looks tough this year... Indy, Pitt and NE are just rolling - not to mention SD. It'll really be a bum deal if a good 10-6 AFC team doesn't get into the playoffs while a bad 8-8 (or worse) NFC team gets in.

I also like Big Ben, never really liked Tommy Maddox at all and Ben just keeps on finding a way to win... See his passer rating from last night? Awesome.

Go Steelers, although I do secretely hope they lose in the next game or 2 (and of course, the Pats lose as well) to bring the Steelers back to reality - but I'm not going to argue if they go 15-1!!!

drothgery

First Post
Felix said:
Tell that to the Ravens of '01 and the Bucks of '03. They had very powerful defenses and not much going for them on the offensive side of the ball. Seriously, most of the time their offenses couldn't get more than one first down in a row.

And that's why I wrote "almost always" instead of "always". There are other ways to win, but they're harder to do, because you need to be better at them.

Remove ads