• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] [Eberron] Beer n Pretzles Keep on the Shadowfell

kinem

Adventurer
It's been fun. Thanks for running a good game, Graf.

I don't know - I'll consider making a L4W character. If we were continuing with new characters to avenge the TPK in this game, I'd make a dwarven warlock with the ranger multiclass feat - Brock's cousin, going to avenge him.

I played this game because I wanted to try 4e, not just condemn it without having any experience with it.

I'm still no fan of 4e and I still eagerly await the next edition which I hope will fix 3.5's many horrible flaws. The only step in that direction right now is Pathfinder and that does hold out some promise as it's working well so far in the face to face game I'm in.

Things I don't like about 4e: minions, marking, martial dailies, the lack of spells that actually do anything (OK there are a few - they're called rituals, but they have expensive material components and can't be cast in combat, and I predict no PC will ever cast one in the history of 4e play except for Raise Dead and Remove Disease), NPCs not built on the same rules as PCs (well - not built on any rules at all really, just ask Irontooth), healing surges, the huge # of hp that monsters have, the XP-based encounter design system (no more accurate than the CR system was - witness the TPK - but more work) ... Well, you get the idea.

BUT - I do think it's a good system for B'n'P gaming! It can be quick 'n' dirty, just fine for conventions or impromptu games.

Anyway - good group, and it can be a change of pace, so I'll consider joining :)

Walking Dad

First Post
... the lack of spells that actually do anything (OK there are a few - they're called rituals, but they have expensive material components and can't be cast in combat, and I predict no PC will ever cast one in the history of 4e play except for Raise Dead and Remove Disease)...
We do some paragon stuff in the 'Kompat Krazyness' threads, and using the waterwalking ritual was very helpful.

I never needed Mage’s Magnificent Mansion as a standard action 'combat spell'. But not arguing about editions (I like the Pathfinder stuff, too). I would be glad to be in an additional game with you.

This is a really persistent and 'cool' group.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
the XP-based encounter design system (no more accurate than the CR system was - witness the TPK - but more work) ... Well, you get the idea.
The battle is a 6th level encounter IIRC, which is beyond the high end of the scale. Its akin to several classic Paizo 1st level battles (I can think of a few in AoW and ST) that exist only to get you to second as fast as possible. All of them are grinders.

That being said, the main difference between Irontook battle one and the one I played in RL was the lack of a controller. Our wizard took out most of the mooks in one hit. Makes a large difference.

That being said, I still play 3.5 (love my 17th level malconvoker) and 4E.

Graf

Explorer
kinem,

I wanted to respond to you but I'm having trouble making the time. I don't really want to get into a good edition/bad edition thing.

Personally I loved 3.x ran it to death; got burned out dming and had to stop. It's a metric ****load of work to run; at least if you actually folllow the rules.
I play in 3.5 games where, I swear to god, I don't understand the other PCs. Like stonegods druid? Doesn't compute. He can transform, which is fine, and he uses a bunch of weird forms from some book that I don't clearly remember, but I understand that concept.
But then he as all these other feats that do stuff to his transformations, and they all stack, and they change each round.

I agree with Ken Hite when he said (i think it was on The Games the Thing podcast) that the two games just do different things.
3.5 is a tradition of the "rule for everything" (or really, several different sets of unique rules for everything) tradition that started in oDnD.

4e isn't trying to do that. It's a dungeon crawler. Everything that you hate (minions, etc) I like, just cause it's an abstraction that saves me time.

Still need to figure out what's going on re-transfering this game.... I think sg has joined Halford's game.
Which, given how much time character approval is taking is probably smart.

Just doing that and running ePoL is taking up 5~6 hours a day for me.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I play in 3.5 games where, I swear to god, I don't understand the other PCs. Like stonegods druid? Doesn't compute. He can transform, which is fine, and he uses a bunch of weird forms from some book that I don't clearly remember, but I understand that concept.
But then he as all these other feats that do stuff to his transformations, and they all stack, and they change each round.
Domoris is all sorts of book-crunching. A fun exercise, but I can understand the confusion. hell, I forget what he can do at times. :)

Still need to figure out what's going on re-transfering this game.... I think sg has joined Halford's game.
Which, given how much time character approval is taking is probably smart.
Nope. Incarnation is not going off to save the princess. Not his thing.

As for 4E vs 3E: I play both. Just finished a real high level Paizo AP in 3.5 as DM so I'm not really in the mood for that again. But I still play (I love my malcovoker).

Graf

Explorer
Right sorry. I'd read that, too much inflow too few brain cells.

Currently I'm struggling with the following issue: I have two games blocked out in my head, a few people have expressed interest in playing with me.

1. A sort of mystery; Daunton based
2. A sort of dungeon crawler; on Mykonos' Sanctuary.

Both are short. Neither has been approved. Both have a sort of "flavor of the world" type vibe. They link, potentially, to further adventures, but very tangentially.

Neither really addresses sg's awesome backstory; kinda a shame. (One could have a hook of a sort, but would require finessing and even then it wouldn't really provide much grist). EveKB's backstory is more flexible; but again doesn't have a strong link to either adventure. I haven't seen other peoples yet (and kinem may not be joining us).

It would be interesting, but more work, to have a party who are all linked to the five in some way (taking a cue from sg)... If there was a theme'd thing going on?
I'd probably want to, in some way, to calibrate the adventure to address it.

Sorry this is so random. That's my current mental state.

Erekose13

Explorer
I went off and joined Halfords game hehe. A well, I'm sure we'll all continue gaming together. Or hey I could DM our group in L4W...

Remove ads