• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] WD's Against the Orcs

Niehaus

First Post
I hope were not messing up the plan to much WD last thing I want to do is screw up your campaign. The whole situation seems really cool.

Insight

Adventurer
I vote for defending the village. I gave a bunch of suggestions above and there have been others. I don't see any reason to destroy the village (although as a last resort, yes). I don't think trying to ambush the orcs will work as we want.

Plus, we have no idea how many orcs we might be facing. Can we successfully ambush 50 orcs? I doubt it. Can we successfully defend against 50 orcs inside the village? Probably.

Niehaus

First Post
I agree with Insight. An ambush, while cool, only works if we know what we're up against. I think we could possibly set up a couple of choke points with obstacles/traps to fall back on in town. Maybe it would be a good idea to talk with the NPC's about defenses. It is their village maybe they have some ideas or suggestions we can build on.

Insight

Adventurer
To be brutally honest, I don't plan to ask for their suggestions. All I want is their OK to take charge, and then I plan to implement whatever we decide is best. If these villagers had a clue about defending their village, they'd have done it by now.

:D <----- added so I don't come off as a jerk!

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Heh, you have a point though, Insight. I think about all that they could contribute at this point is telling us what kind of materials are available and doing manual labour ;) It's pretty clear that they aren't really cut out for designing fortifications.

Niehaus

First Post
Is there a specific strategy every one would like to use going into this skill challenge. Looks like William and Paranthraxus are the only two trained in Diplomacy so they could have them to all the talking, while Argivion and Nerve provide all the info with Nature and History checks. The Paladin and Warlord would also bluff but their bonus to diplomacy is almost double their bluff.

There really isn't a need for a strat tho I guess we could just do it off the cuff.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Hmm ... so if our objective in the skill challenge is to convince them to stay, but we fail the skill challenge, does that mean that we have to defend them on the move? That thought just occurred to me (ie that things might not go as we would like them to ;))

Edit: another point against leaving the village - to evade the main orc force while on the move we'd have to avoid the roads. So, then, how would we meet up with the good baron's men, who are on their way to rescue us?

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Is there a specific strategy every one would like to use going into this skill challenge. Looks like William and Paranthraxus are the only two trained in Diplomacy so they could have them to all the talking, while Argivion and Nerve provide all the info with Nature and History checks. The Paladin and Warlord would also bluff but their bonus to diplomacy is almost double their bluff.

There really isn't a need for a strat tho I guess we could just do it off the cuff.

Other skills could also come into play: History (stories of other villages destroyed by the orcs) and Intimidate (scaring them into staying) come immediately to mind. Paranthraxus is good at both of those.

EDIT: Remember, though, if we come up with a feasible strategy in game in terms of how we deal with this, WD is well within his rights to grant us circumstance bonuses to our skill checks.

Padreigh

First Post
Actually, we don't even have to ask them if they are okay with us taking charge. :D

If I remember correctly, our employer is their liege. And we have (that is: I have ;)) a written contract, charging us with the defence of Roxbury.
Case closed, as far as I am concerned. Although it would be of course polite to ask them.

Yeah, I think we should just dig in and kill any orc which is getting to close to the village. This way we might have a chance.

And regarding skills: Argivion is quite good at history as well. Nature might help in explaining them why trekking across country is a bad move and Religion might help as well. We could tell them what Erathis thinks of people who abbandon temples and villages to flee from barbarians.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads