Paragons [M&M] (recruiting closed)

Avalon®

First Post
Do we have to submit a complete character sheet or just concepts to begin with?

How about these for starters:

Imagerion

Powers: Variable Powers with the magic descriptor

Breakout: A mystic ritual copied from the back of a comic book has unexpected consequences for a high school kid as he begins to do anything he can imagine.

or

Boneyard

Powers: Highly advanced calcium production in his body makes him almost complete made of hardened bone with advanced control of bone growth and regeneration.

Breakout: Living in the Bronx, he was assaulted by gang members on his way to his job at the local hospital

or

The Last Resort

Powers: Earth Controller with two forms: a dust storm and a body made out of granite

Brakeout: After a contract-killing in the Sahara desert went bad, he was left for dead in the desert but soon comes to with a new form to finish the contract.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Lobo Lurker said:
I haven't picked out anyone yet. Feel free to submit. I'll make my decision on Saturday.

My ideas:

Animus

Powers: Ghost Form, Possession, Object Mimicry (animates matter)

Breakout: Was hit by a teleportion superpower. Somethig bad happened and he became a living ghost. Learned later to materialize and to posses people or objects.

or

Radiance

Powers: Body of Light, Light Control

Breakout: Trapped in a sunbed, he noticed that he can become living light.

or

Voltan

Powers: Alternate Form (electricity), Electricity Control

Brakeout: A failed teleportion experiment splitted his bodys electrons and protons.

AgentMike

First Post
Okay, I have my stuff in order.

Background: [sblock]Roxanne Richardson was, until ten days ago, a researcher at the University of Washington, dedicated to her work despite being paralyzed from the waist down due to a car accident in her youth. The opportunity of a lifetime fell into her lap when a tourist returning from Japan two months ago was found to have brought an animal back with him that looked like a fox with three tails. She found herself researching the animal, theorizing that the creature was the result of myths about fox-creatures with magical powers.

Eleven days ago, there was a fire. Unable to take the stairs and with her assistant passed out from smoke inhalation, Roxanne attempted to free the fox from captivity so that it would have at least a chance at escape. When its cage was opened, the fox bit Roxanne on the shoulder and wouldn't let go. She passed out.

When she came to, the fire had been extinguished, she was able to walk, and her hair had turned stark white and her eyes emerald green. She also discovered that this wasn't the only body she had - she also could transform into a multi-tailed fox-like woman, and in this form she could fly, was difficult to injure, had an incredibly keen sense of smell and could "cast spells." These abilities frighten her because they run at odds with a purely scientific view of the universe (in fact, they seem to be less effective when she tries to use them scientifically - telling X-googleplex of molecules to become Y-googleplex of molecules doesn't work, but willing a pen to become a coffee cup does.) Consequently at the game's beginning she has only transformed into this other form once. She has not registered with the PRA because she's presently in denial about what she can do.[/sblock]

Personality: [sblock] When she's relaxed and comfortable she jokes easily and seems genuinely happy about the gift she's been gift of being able to walk once more. She tends to be a little arrogant because she's used to being the smartest one in the room; she is hostile towards the notion of 'magic' and other sorts of 'superstitious thinking' because as soon as the subject comes up, she's not the smartest one in the room any more. She thinks that reports of 'magical' paranormal events are just an uncategorized subset of paranormal phenomena that can be explained scientifically and not via prayer and drawing lines with chalk; an explanation she's presently unable to apply to her own abilities, which vexes her.
[/sblock]

The Vixen: [sblock]
Name: The Vixen

Real Name/Secret ID: Roxanne Richardson

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

ATTRIBUTES
STR 10
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 16 (+3)
WIS 20 (+5)
CHA 14 (+2)

Attack: +5
- Ranged: +8
Defense: +10
Initiative: +2
Hero Points: 1
Notice Check: +11

Toughness: +9 (+2 Con, +7 Protection)

Fortitude: +5 (+2 Con, +3pp)
Reflex: +5 (+2 Dex, +3pp)
Will: +10 (+5 Wis, +5pp)

Feats:
Attack Focus x3 (Ranged)
Quick Change x2

Skills:
Concentration +13 (8 ranks, +5 Wis)
Knowledge (arcana) +5 (1 rank, +4 Int)
Knowledge (biological) +14 (10 ranks, +4 Int)
Medicine +8 (3 ranks, +5 Wis)
Notice +11 (6 ranks, +5 Wis)

Powers:

When using either Flight or her Magic array, Roxanne transforms from a human-looking woman into a multi-tailed fox-like woman.

Magic 27 (54pp) (No extras or Flaws, 1 AP feat) (Total Cost 55 pp)
Primary Power: Transform (anything to anything) +9 (6pp * 9 ranks = 54)
Alternates: Fire Blast +9 (2pp * 9 ranks,) Healing +9 (2pp * 9 ranks,) Nullify Magic +9 (2pp * 9 ranks) = 54 pp total

Protection 7 (7pp)

Immunity (Aging) 1pp

Super-Senses 3 (Scent, Magical Awareness (Ranged)) - 3pp

Flight 4 (8pp)

Special effects for Powers: When flying, Vixen simply flies. When casting a transmutation spell, green runes twirl around her hands. Her protection is supernatural toughness - attacks just don't hurt her if she makes a save. When using super-senses to detect magic Vixen literally 'smells' it. Using Healing causes wounds to shimmer and fade as if they were never there. Her fire blast is a ball of blue flame that appears in her palm that she throws.

Drawbacks:
- Normal Identity - To transform into her superhuman persona, Roxanne does a quick incantation and brings her palms together. Out of this persona, Roxanne has no powers (though MAY have Immunity: Aging, at ten days old it's hard to check) and cannot use Alternate Power, Quick Change, or Attack Focus. She can transform as a free action. -3pp.

- One-Way Transformation: Once she transforms it takes at least three hours for her to be able to return to 'normal.' Roxanne has no idea why at this stage. -3pp.

Complications: Things that affect spirits and magical creatures may affect Vixen the same way.

Attributes: 28
Attack: 10
Defense: 20
Saves: 11
Feats: 5
Skills: 7
Powers: 74
Drawbacks: -6

Total: 150
[/sblock]

[sblock]
Name: Roxanne Richardson

ATTRIBUTES
STR 10
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 16 (+3)
WIS 20 (+5)
CHA 14 (+2)

Attack: +5
Defense: +10
Initiative: +2
Hero Points: 1
Notice Check: +7

Toughness: +2

Fortitude: +5 (+2 Con, +3pp)
Reflex: +5 (+2 Dex, +3pp)
Will: +10 (+5 Wis, +5pp)

Feats:
None

Skills:
Concentration +9 (4 ranks, +5 Wis)
Knowledge (arcana) +5 (1 rank, +4 Int)
Knowledge (biological) +14 (10 ranks, +4 Int)
Medicine +8 (3 ranks, +5 Wis)
Notice +7 (2 ranks, +5 Wis)

Powers: Immunity: Aging (1pp) (if this is no kosher, I will swap it for 4 ranks in Concentration - however, it's a pretty minor power, for flavor mostly and unlikely to affect the game, so I'm asking nicely to keep it in both bodies.)

Drawbacks: None

Complications: Things that affect spirits and magical creatures may affect Roxanne the same way.

Attributes: 28
Attack: 10
Defense: 20
Saves: 11
Skills: 5
Powers: 1

Total: 75[/sblock]

EDIT 2: In response to post #37.

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Quick Critique: Vixen

Random Question: Does Roxanne have any ties to the Imageria (higher planes/world of dreams/alternate dimensions)? She might have been studying it.

Normal ID: Please stat up two different characters. One with 150pp (vixen) and one with 75pp (Roxanne). Also, are you using the -3 version of this drawback or the -5 version?

One-Way Transformation: I assume you're using the -3 version of this drawback? It will take her 3 hours to transform back (or more, if you'd like).

Complication: Okay. Sounds good. ^_^

Nitpick 1: Please list your attack as Attack +5 (ranged +8)

Nitpick 2: Alternate Power is a power feat so it belongs with the power description; It doesn't need to be listed in the general Feats area.

Nitpick 3: Can you list ranks in a power with a '+' in front of them? (EX: Flame Blast +9)

Skills: You only spent 7pp worth (28 ranks) but in your breakdown you list 8pp.
Alternate Power: This feat gives you ONE additional power with the same pp cost as the power its attached to. If you want more than one power, you need to take additional Alternate Power feats.

Other than the items above, she looks good. ^_^

Lobo Lurker

First Post
If anyone edits a previous post to submit their character, please add a new response to the thread indicating this. ^_^ Makes my life easier (especially if you include the post number).

AgentMike

First Post
Responding/Editing post 24:

Lobo Lurker said:
Random Question: Does Roxanne have any ties to the Imageria (higher planes/world of dreams/alternate dimensions)? She might have been studying it.

Theoretical physics isn't her thing at game start, so no. That said, her powers might originate from there - the kitsune may be a thoughtform of sorts, Imageria leakage. I'm unsure - in this campaign, will the average person or even the educated person know of the Imageria?

Lobo Lurker said:
Normal ID: Please stat up two different characters. One with 150pp (vixen) and one with 75pp (Roxanne). Also, are you using the -3 version of this drawback or the -5 version?

-3 version (uncommon) as noted on sheet. I'll stat up Roxanne shortly.

Lobo Lurker said:
One-Way Transformation: I assume you're using the -3 version of this drawback? It will take her 3 hours to transform back (or more, if you'd like).

The -3 version. Three hours is fine - if additional hours suddenly rear their head for whatever reason we can treat that as a complication.

Lobo Lurker said:
Nitpick 1: Please list your attack as Attack +5 (ranged +8)

I shall do so.

Lobo Lurker said:
Nitpick 2: Alternate Power is a power feat so it belongs with the power description; It doesn't need to be listed in the general Feats area.

Okay, I'll shuttle it over.

Lobo Lurker said:
Nitpick 3: Can you list ranks in a power with a '+' in front of them? (EX: Flame Blast +9)

Yes I can.

Lobo Lurker said:
Skills: You only spent 7pp worth (28 ranks) but in your breakdown you list 8pp.

I'll recheck that.

Lobo Lurker said:
Alternate Power: This feat gives you ONE additional power with the same pp cost as the power its attached to. If you want more than one power, you need to take additional Alternate Power feats.

The book disagrees with you:

Mutants and Masterminds said:
An Alternate power may be made up of two or more other powers, but that Alternate Power cannot exceed the cost of the primary power. Adrian Eldrich, Earth's Master Mage, has Astral Form at rank 6. Eldrich's player chooses the Alternate Power feat and selects Flight at rank 3 and Force Field at rank 12 with the Impervious extra. Even though Flight and Force Field are two powers, the count as only one Alternate Power.

A similar example is on page 109 of the Ultimate Power book. Now if that rule's been changed, just say so - I'll adjust the array accordingly. And looking at it, ESP should be 3 ranks per, so I'll fiddle with that.

Thanks for the feedback!

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Wow! This looks SO FUN.

I have 3 concepts I think I'll float.

Concept 1 (Classic, easy, straightforward): Crucible, able to take one of 4 different elemental forms (Air, Stone, Water, or Fire).

Concept 2: The Swordsman, able to draw forth the powers of various ancient swords of legend, Excaliber, Kusanagi, etc.)

Concept 3: Rebound: able to absorb physical attacks and refocus the energy into attacks, speed, and strength.

I'm leaning towards #1. I will write up more soon.

AgentMike

First Post
Also a question. When statting up Roxanne's separate sheet, should I include the drawbacks in the point totals (-6 at present counting?)

Milhouse

First Post
I have been waiting for a M&M game to start on these boards ever since I joined. The fact that it is a Paragons game makes it all the better! Here is my preliminary character idea:

alfie25.gif

"The Edge" (aka Jeremy Cargill)

Powers: Duplication, Adaptation

[sblock=Background Story]The son of a wealthy CEO, Jeremy Cargill had been living in the shadow of his father (Mattias) for over twenty years. An unreachable man of exceedingly high standards, his father had always put work before family, which battered Jeremy's self-esteem and led to divorce from his mother (Joanna) at age 12. Under the custody of his father, the life lesson burned into his memory was "Jeremy, no one will take care of you except yourself. Get used to it and adapt to what life throws at you". Jeremy had blown it off and resented his father, refusing to take up the family business and becoming a freelance journalist out of preparatory school (though still living on his ample trust fund).

Two months ago, Jeremy got his big break: an assignment covering local peace negotiations in Afghanistan. To any journalist this was career gold, and Jeremy jumped at the opportunity, donned a multi-pocketed vest and flew straight over. Hoping to avoid his reputation, he used a phony passport and stayed low-profile throughout the time he was there. Then, with three days left in the convention, while walking to the local café, an unmarked van screeched up onto the sidewalk, and two masked men with AK-47's grabbed him, shoved him into the van, and drove off.

The men didn't tell him who they were, only that they knew who he was, who his father was, and that his father's company had torn their villages asunder in the search for new oil fields. He had been kidnapped, and panicked: all he could think was that he hoped his father could get him out alive. The men demanded information about the company's interests in the region and future plans; being oblivious to all of this, Jeremy was tortured, beaten, and nearly drowned. After a week of this, his captors brought him news: news of his disappearance had reached America, and his father had made a public statement. His hopes at a high, he begged them to relay what he'd said. At this the men laughed loudly: his father and the government had declared him dead, and no one was coming to help him. This sent Jeremy into a mental breakdown.

The next morning he was beaten awake and dragged into the familiar torture room. His interrogator asked him: "Before we begin, have you had any changes of heart since the news? You know, now, that nobody will come for you, hmm?" A thought flashed in Jeremy's mind at that moment, the advice his father had endlessly repeated to him: "Jeremy, no one will take care of you except yourself. Get used to it and adapt to what life throws at you". Sitting there, tied to a chair, it was all he had left; he would have to help himself, but had no idea how to do it. As the interrogator laughed again, picking up a screwdriver, he suddenly stopped in mid-laugh, and there was silence. After a few moments Jeremy felt someone untying his bonds, and looked behind him to see a familiar face: himself.

After discovering he could communicate with his duplicate mentally, Jeremy brought the quote again to his mind, and like magic, another duplicate of himself appeared! Fifteen minutes later, a guard walked in to bring breakfast, and found a room full of Jeremies, who gang-jumped him and beat him to a bloody pulp. Jeremy and his duplicates fought their way out of the encampment and fled into the desert on foot. As the sun grew hotter and brighter, he began to suffer heat stroke; seeing and hearing many versions of himself in such pain made him wish them all away, and instantly they were gone. It gave him little solace, however, for he was still in the middle of the desert. Hours later he collapsed, and again, only one thought came to his mind. He repeated the phrase to himself over and over, and finally willed himself to get up one more time. With all of his effort he rose, feebly, and when he finally stood up and opened his eyes, he realized he felt fine. The heat had vanished, the sun wasn't so bright, and he wasn't even thirsty anymore. Jeremy felt this had to be the strangest day of his life.

That was ten days ago, and since then Jeremy has made his way back to civilization, back to the American embassy, and been shipped home to America. He has neglected to register with the PRA, and hasn't told his father the truth about how he escaped.[/sblock]

I will try and get a sheet up ASAP. Thoughts on the background/concept?

Remove ads