• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

pogre's story hour Zandyrium -episode 66- (5/10/2006) A short update.

Scorch

Explorer
pogre said:
Thanks PK - say, PK is a full 2/3s of TPK...coincidence - I think not! :D

I actually had to break out my copy of this module and started tracing the route of the party and what they are going to run into next.

I am going to have my party hit the main dungeon next session and I need to do my research.

Scorch

BSF

Explorer
Woot! More Pogre fun. :)

So, was the departure of Morguhn and Githraldul a convenient spot where the players wouldn't be available for a session or two?

pogre

Legend
BardStephenFox said:
So, was the departure of Morguhn and Githraldul a convenient spot where the players wouldn't be available for a session or two?

Exactly - their work schedules do not allow them to be at the table every week.

Puppy Kicker

First Post
pogre said:
Thanks PK - say, PK is a full 2/3s of TPK...coincidence - I think not! :D

Hmmm.... don't mention that to my players. If you remember from the story hour, after the first session 80% of the group was suffering from bullet wounds! I've been nice so far though. hehehehehehehehe

I don't think I'll live up to the record you have attained though. But dang it I'll keep trying!

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 07

“Thoren,” Ginny began slowly, “We cannot possibly continue without your big sword. We really need you to stay with us and continue exploring on this level.”

Thoren semi-grunted. The truth was Ginny’s flattery was very effective in influencing him, even when he knew she was doing it.

“Don’t forget, you have been on the ground unconscious twice in the last week. What would have happened if you were alone?” Heinrich asked.

Thoren slowly moved away from the stairs. They were right and he knew it. He was not going to leave them, he just was trying to force the issue.

“Good man Thoren. I think you have made the right choice for you and for us,” Justinius offered.

“’sides,” Wassabe interjected, “If ye’ go runnin’ about without the death man, he’s got to hunt ye’ up for last rites.”

The adventurers searched the tomb chamber carefully, but found nothing of value. The orc burial grounds had obviously been looted many times over, despite the crude, dire warnings scribed on the walls. The adventurers left the cavern and began traveling down a wide corridor that opened into a much larger cavern area. A small swift stream ran through the cavern and the party commenced debating where it would be most convenient to cross.

Wassabe saw it first. “What is that?” he asked.

“What?” Thoren asked.

“That!” Wassabe pointed at a dark flying shape coming quickly towards them. Most of the adventurers saw the black dragon swooping towards them and took cover, but Ginny never saw it coming.

A line of foul green acid spouted forth from the dragon’s maw and splashed off the cavern’s wall coating Ginny. The rogue stumbled, choked, and fell. The dragon flew past. Thoren jumped up and grabbed Ginny, and with one motion threw her over his shoulder as he ran. “Run!” he shouted.

No one needed to be told twice. The adventurers’ desperate flight was barely controlled by the limits of their flaming lights. Dashing down one large corridor and ducking into a narrower side hall they ran on. Finally, Thoren pulled up and gently laid Ginny on the ground. Heinrich quickly came up to the rogue.

“Is she alive?” Thoren asked.

“Just,” Heinrich answered. He quickly said a prayer to Siegphorus, god of victory, and sat down beside Ginny as her eyes fluttered open. Heinrich began scraping the spent acid off of her leather armor. Justinius came to her side and said another healing prayer over her. Ginny was almost fully recovered after dancing at the brink of death.

“How big was it?” Thoren asked.

“Not huge,” Wassabe answered. “Maybe 10 to 11 feet from nose tip to the end of his tail.”

“It cannot be very old for a dragon,” Mercutio offered.

“Those are very interesting zoological observations you are all putting together. I look forward to reading the scholarly paper you write on the subject. I assume that is why you are discussing the dragon, because there is no way in Hell I am going back to that cavern to face that acid-spewing lizard,” Heinrich stated.

“I thought we were eliminating threats on this level,” Thoren countered.

“I survived it once,” Ginny interjected, “tempting fate twice would anger the gods.”

“If we spread out, it cannot breathe on us all at once,” Wassabe suggested.

“Look, I am not against killing the dragon, but we have a lot more of this level to explore. Let us at least leave the dragon for last when we are well rested and prepared,” Heinrich suggested. The truth was he was content never to see the reptile again, but he hoped this line might dissuade Thoren and Wassabe.

“I agree,” Mercutio announced. “We will come back stronger and prepared.”

Much to Heinrich and Ginny’s relief the subject was not discussed further and the adventurers continued down the passage away from the dragon’s chamber.

Ginny spied a strange lump in the corridor ahead, and as the group moved forward it became obvious it was an enclosed helmet. Thoren went forward and picked it up, “It’s heavy. Maybe it’s some kind of special steel? What do you think Justinius?” Thoren asked.

The cleric of Gravitas Morte, Justinius, possessed some skills in working with armor and had even done a few repairs for the group on the trail.

“I think you should open the visor,” Justinius replied.

Sliding the visor open, Thoren began to chuckle, “This explained the extra weight.” The fighter held forth the helmet with a rotting skull encased. Worms worked there way frantically in and out of the nostrils, eye sockets, and mouth trying to avoid the group’s torchlight. Ginny quickly turned away.

Thoren thrust the head and helmet towards Ginny, “How about a kiss my dear?”

Wassabe chuckled.

“Never mock the dead!” Justinius exploded. “This is no toy, no puppet – set it down right now!

Like a chided schoolboy, Thoren lowered his gaze and set the helmet down. Justinius moved over and removed the rotting skull from the helmet. The cleric said last rites and buried the skull under a group of stones. “That will have to do for now,” he solemnly announced as he stood up from the mound.

Thoren grabbed the knight’s helm and put it into a sack in his pack.

“Yer’ keepin’ that thing?” Wassabe asked.

“Yeah?” Thoren replied.

“It had a rotting head in it remember?”

“Yeah?”

“Maggots all over it - a smelly mess,” Wassabe continued.

“Ya’ got a point?” Thoren asked.

“Jes’ a bit on the disgusting side even for you ole’ boy,” Wassabe answered.

“It’ll rinse when we get back to some water,” Thoren answered.

“I guess you did not put it on at least,” Wassabe commented slowly shaking his head.

The adventurers continued down the corridor and it opened back into a huge cavern with a large lake. All recognized the cavern and they were frustrated, tired, and low on magical aid. “Perhaps we should camp here?” Thoren suggested. The fighter’s suggestion set off a flurry of discussions as the adventurers debated their next move. Ginny interrupted their conversations pointing out a trio of lanterns in the dark.

“Should I hail them?” Ginny asked.

“Not in our condition,” Heinrich warned. “We cannot take any chances.”

“This rules out camping here,” Justinius agreed.

“If they were native to this place I doubt they would use lanterns,” Ginny suggested. “Maybe they have some healing potions?”

“All right, enough of this,” Mercutio stated. The sorcerer removed a handful of sand from a hidden pocket and threw it in the air creating a fine dust cloud. He quickly traced runes through the sand that left yellowish arcs of light. The sand coalesced into a pixie-like creature and sped off into the darkness.

“Impressive,” Wassabe muttered.

“What was it?” Ginny asked.

“A sand sprite, a gift of the desert,” Mercutio answered. “I asked him to see who is carrying the lanterns and to report back to me. I just hope there is enough time.”

“Enough time?” Heinrich asked.

“Yes, the sprite only lives but a moment here,” Mercutio was interrupted by the sand sprite’s sudden appearance again. Mercutio and the sand sprite seemed to have a short conversation, although none of the adventurers could hear a sound. Just as they finished the sprite dissolved into sand and fell to the ground.

“Do that again!” Thoren demanded.

“I cannot abuse the gift of the desert,” Mercutio said with a smile. “We need not debate hailing the lanterns further. The lights are coming from the abdomens of foraging beetles of some kind.”

“Fire beetles I’d wager,” Wassabe said.

“Dangerous?” Justinious asked.

“Opportunistic is more like it. They feed on offal and carrion of all sorts. They have a pretty nasty bite though,” Wassabe explained.

“Let us move within bow range and shoot them then,” Ginny suggested.

The adventurers all retrieved their missile weapons and inched forward in the cavern. “Fine time for Githraldul to leave,” Thoren complained. The adventurers launched a volley of arrows at the big bugs. Not one of the missiles hit, and the beetles, vaguely aware they were under attack, started moving towards the group. Another ineffective volley did not dissuade the beetles and they moved closer yet.

Thoren threw down his bow in frustration and charged. His sweeping steel was a blade of death and two of the three beetles were killed instantly. Finally, Ginny managed an effective shot and her arrow hit home on the last beetle killing it. Thoren cut the glowing abdomens off and affixed them to some scrap wood. “Good as a torch,” the fighter announced, smiling like a child with a sweetmeat on a stick at the fair.

“This field-bed is too cold for me to sleep: Come, shall we go?” Mercutio asked.

“I am fairly certain I can retrace our steps to the valley,” Heinrich announced. The cleric skillfully led the group through the caverns and out into the outdoors. They moved to their old campsite and slept heavily that night.

“By my salt that hurt!” Wassabe complained.

“You should have let me climb down that cliff,” Ginny offered.

“I’ve been scaling masts in rough seas as long as you’ve been alive. A misstep now and again is jes’ part of it,” Wassabe countered.

The group had re-entered the cavern complexes and opted to try a new section of the level that required climbing down a 20-foot drop into an old refuse pit. Ginny had used a rope to scale down and the others followed suit, but Wassabe insisted on grabbing the rope and climbing down. The result had been a nasty fall. Mercutio found a concealed passageway behind a large boulder in the rear of the pit.

“Ho Heinrich! How ‘bout a bit o’ healing?” Wassabe asked.

“You have done nothing but mock religion and made jokes in poor taste the entire time we have been here. Why should Siegphorus grant you a boon of healing? Considering you abysmal behavior do you really expect this favor?” Heinrich ranted back.

“Well, er, yeah,” Wassabe answered. “Been harborin’ some ill will there mate? I am just asking for a little help here, but if you cannot manage I understand.”

“You do?”

“Yeah, I understand when your butt is pinned ‘neath some slobbering behemoth and I’m a skedaddling ‘stead o’ sticking ‘em. That’s how well I understand.” Wassabe turned to look at his wounds on his shoulder blade.

“Hold no ill feeling toward Heinrich friend,” Justinius said as he approached. “He will grow more accustomed to your style in time.” Justinius held forth his holy symbol and prayed a healing supplication over Wassabe’s wounds. “Now Heinrich, come here and say an orison or blessing on our friend.”

“Of course,” Heinrich said resignedly. He moved to Wassabe and prayed earnestly on the mariner’s behalf to Siegphorus.

“Wow! I feel like the hot new icon in the temple. Which of ya’ wants to throw some gold at my feet for a blessin’?” Wassabe piped up.

“Do you see what I mean?” Heinrich complained bitterly to Justinius. Justinius only returned a knowing smile and put his holy symbol back beneath his cloak.

“Is the revival over? ‘Cause I’m ready to move on,” Thoren inquired. The fighters demand was met with a simple wave from the clerics and Ginny led the group down the corridor.

“Whoa!” Ginny yelled and jumped back quickly. A swinging spear trap flew past the rogue and clattered into the wall harmlessly.

“Did not see that!” she said. She began checking the trap out and made some notes to herself out loud. “Good concealment. Requires manual reset. Nice trap, but definitely new.” Ginny turned to the rest of the group and announced, ”This trap was recently set and is being checked on a regular basis by someone.”

The group forged ahead to a three-way intersection. They explored one branch that led to a sand-filled, caved-in chamber. The chamber held nothing of interest, but the group had to kill a number of pesky small spiders.

Backtracking Ginny again narrowly dodged another trap, this time a pit trap.

“You might want to watch for traps,” Wassabe suggested from the rear.

“Thank you very little,” Ginny snapped back. “Considering your amazing display of dexterity back at the wall maybe you should be up here looking for hazards.”

“Nonsense!” Wassabe replied. “The view would not be near as good.” He pointed at Ginny’s rear, although the gesture was hardly needed.

“Any chance of you shutting up in the very near future?” Heinrich asked impatiently.

“Father! I’m shocked to hear you say that. ‘Specially considerin’ our spiritual moment back there.” Wassabe grinned widely and called out to Ginny, “Lead on our fine hound.”

Ginny was already on the move when Wassabe called out. She did not really mind the mariner, in fact she liked him, but he did have the gift of gab. “Trip wire!” she called out. The glint of light had just barely revealed the wire before she tripped it. “Oh this is simple. I was expecting more, considering the craftsmanship of the last two traps.”

Ginny removed a knife from her belt and cut one of the wires leading up the wall. A net came falling down from the ceiling and trapped her beneath it.

“I thought you said it was simple!” Thoren roared. The fighter was voicing his frustration more about the delay, because he could not get around the netting, than Ginny’s failure to disarm the trap.

Wassabe was audibly giggling. Ginny was trying to work her way up to her feet when Mercutio yelled a warning, “We got company!”

Two kobolds leveled their crossbows at Ginny as she struggled in the net. Ginny suddenly felt very much like a fish in a barrel.

To be continued…

BSF

Explorer
This is just a little bump because the Story Hour is cool. If we toss pogre praise and offerings, perhaps he will favor us with an update? ;)

pogre

Legend
Thanks BSF!

I am knee deep in football season, but I have not forgotten you. I am working on a massive update, but I still need to shoot a lot of pictures.

I would love to promise it to you by early next week, but other issues keep stealing my time. I'll just leave it at I hope to have an update up early next week. ;)

The only rock-solid promise I can make is that it will be big.

pogre

Legend
I know - I suck.

Football is a black hole of time! The upside is we are 7-0 with 2 games in the regular season to go. Then on to the play-offs. 4 of our boys have scholarship commitments with division 1 football programs and the town is going crazy. Naturally, that means no gaming, painting, or other hobbies for another few weeks. Yeah, and that update I promised, well... :\

I steal a few minutes after school on Fridays to check out everybody else's story hours. It gives me some vicarious gaming and keeps me from getting too nervous before kick-off ;)

Take care,

pogre

pogre

Legend
Thanks Dingo!

Still absorbed in football -

Just two games to go before the State Championship - It looks like we are on a collision course with mighty Catholic powerhouse Montini. Good lord this has been a crazy season, but no matter what it ends November 26th.

Last edited:

Remove ads