D&D 5E POLL: Are you mainly a DM/Player, or also a collector?

Do you buy just what you need to play, do you collect everything, or something in between?

• I buy everything 5E that gets released and can't wait to buy more.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • I only buy the basic rules I need to play and that's enough for me.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I buy more than the basics, but I do enjoy collecting D&D stuff.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I buy more than the basics, but only when it's something I need for a game I'm part of.

Votes: 26 39.4%

ScaleyBob

Explorer
I've been remarkably restrained with 5E, with only the Core rules (which were a gift from my old boss) and Volo's. I don't feel the need to buy Adventures when there doesn't appear to be much in the way of usable fluff, or crunch in them.

I do like getting other schmutter to go with the game, I'm a real sucker for floorplans, or maps, or figures. I'm rather disappointed in the lack of this sort of stuff from Wizards for 5E. My current group has a couple of players who are even more keen on this stuff than I am, so we're now incredibly well equipped with figures, terrain, maps, and all sort of other stuff. Makes running my current game a breeze.

I've been a completest/pack rat on a lot of games in the past - I've got large collections of Runequest/Glorantha stuff, WHFRP, IKRPG, and most of the releases for 4E. I've just resisted the temptation to get 5E stuff, and I don't like getting Adventures if there's a chance someone in one of my gaming groups might run it.

alienux

Explorer
I do like getting other schmutter to go with the game, I'm a real sucker for floorplans, or maps, or figures.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for maps, especially dungeon maps, and stuff like that. I skipped 3E and 4E of D&D (I just quit playing for awhile after college and didn't start again until the Next/5E playtest), but even though I didn't play any 4E, I still bought the Dungeon Delve 4E book just because I love looking at and reading about map layouts.

I've been a completest/pack rat on a lot of games in the past

I'm kind of like that with certain Games Workshop stuff. I've never actually played a single game of the Warhammer or 40k tabletop miniatures game, but I'm addicted to anything Space Hulk related, and I have the 1st, 2nd, and 4th editions of the board game, plus expansions, books, and magazines with articles about Space Hulk. I also just started playing Blood Bowl, and now I can't get enough of the new models and books for that.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Now I buy most DM & player options, but not any of the adventures nor "nice to have repeats" like DM screens, spell cards, etc.

I still have a shelf and a half of 3.x books, and would have the same (included boxed sets) for earlier editions but I tossed it. Now I just buy what I'm going to use, but I buy all of what I can use.

4e's subscription changed things for me - with books coming out so often, and the high level of errata including rewriting subsystems (like flight), paying a monthly subscription and having the compendium and the character builder hit all of my use cases. I had the core books and a few that came out after (before the subscription crystallized), but after that I only bought one book (first essentials to see how it different in that format/presentation).

Tallifer

Hero
Where's the option for "I buy almost nothing in this internet age."? (In my case, because of a tiny apartment, mostly on-line sessions with distant friends, and a desire to keep my possessions to a minimum in the interest of the environment.)

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not entirely sure how to answer the poll.

I do like to collect books. In particular, I often buy monster books because I like lore and I can convert the creatures into other games I play.

However, I haven't bought much 5E. I purchased the core books. I also own some of the early adventure paths due to participating in events and/or receiving gifts. Currently, my motivation to buy more 5E is typically low.

So, I suppose my answer is that I do enjoy collecting D&D stuff, but I haven't made a lot of effort to add 5E-specific items to my collection.

pogre

Legend
I'd rather buy things like maps, tiles, terrain, minis, spell cards, etc than more books. I will probably buy more books once dndbeyond launches and I can buy them digitally

Ditto - most of my purchases are on accessories. I only buy the books I need for my game.

Mad_Jack

Legend
I semi-actively collect the earlier stuff from Basic on up to 2nd Ed. - at least in the sense that I occasionally trawl the internet looking to see what's out there, and if I see something for a reasonable price online, I'll buy it...
It's a slow and haphazard method of collecting, but I've managed to put together a somewhat decent collection.

I primarily go for boxed sets of rules, hardcover books, and classic modules. I don't usually bother with things like campaign boxes, campaign supplements, or general accessories, although anything I may have liked or really wanted when I was younger and the stuff was first coming out is also on the list. I do, however, have an odd compulsion to pick up various official printed character sheets, despite having never used anything more than basic notebook paper for my own guys, lol.

- For BECMI/OD&D, my vague plan is to acquire complete copies of all of the rules boxes and the Rules Cyclopedia specifically, and then all of the modules haphazardly as/when I find them cheap.
- For 1st and 2nd, I want to have a complete set of each of the core books with all the cover variations (Aside from the Gygax Memorial editions, I've hit that goal - I had to sell my original copies of those, and haven't yet reacquired them), plus all of the hardcover splat books (for 1st ed. I'm missing Manual of the Planes, Dragonlance Adventures and FR Adventures, and for 2nd Ed. the Tome of Magic and maybe two (?) others) and the 2nd Ed. softcovers (the Complete series, the castles book, etc.)...
I also have a lesser goal of collecting the more well-known modules.

I ended up buying most of the 3.0 and 3.5 hardcovers when it was the current edition, and don't have much motivation to complete the set since I pretty much have everything I wanted. There are also only a couple of the 4E hardcovers that I don't have, and the urge to acquire more 3rd and 4th Ed. stuff is pretty far down on the list behind all the older stuff.

For 5th Ed. I only have the PHB, since I don't really play it at all.

Remove ads