• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Predictions for Playtest packet 7's arrival

Remathilis

Legend
Strikes me that Packet 9 could be a full, final set of all proposed changes before they go into the final private playtesamd balancing phase. Or just a zoom in on Feats and Species stuff (like, the last chance to finalize their new language).
I'm going to wager we don't see full, final set of proposed changed prior to the actual book. If (for example) the rogue scored well and is "locked" except for some fiddling, we won't get the rogue again. Barring whatever feedback Jeremey and Todd discuss, we won't know if (again, for example) the swashbuckler we saw in packet 6 is going to make it or not. They are going to do that to preserve hype: they don't want to give a "final list" away for free a year before the book is out. They will shroud things in obfuscation to keep some mystery and buzz until preview season 24.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm going to wager we don't see full, final set of proposed changed prior to the actual book. If (for example) the rogue scored well and is "locked" except for some fiddling, we won't get the rogue again. Barring whatever feedback Jeremey and Todd discuss, we won't know if (again, for example) the swashbuckler we saw in packet 6 is going to make it or not. They are going to do that to preserve hype: they don't want to give a "final list" away for free a year before the book is out. They will shroud things in obfuscation to keep some mystery and buzz until preview season 24.
The hype is what the art is for. As far as rhe rules go, they want it to be as clear as possible what's up, and get as much data as possible. But, we'll see. I think everything in Packet 6 will get another pass in 8, at least.

Pauln6

Hero
They don't seem to have touched magic items yet.

I would probably want to see confirmation that magic bonuses (including armour and shields) don't stack but give magic shields another bonus like reaction to halve damage.

Rings of Protection should grant a re-roll.

Gauntlets and Girdles should only grant +2 or +4 capped as normal but make you large or huge for carrying, pushing or grappling.

Remathilis

Legend
I don't think I've heard a lot of people clamoring for changes to magic items other than wanting crafting rules and pricing for buying and selling guidance?
I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them get edits, but that's not the kind of stuff they playtest. And I don't imagine we will get any major rules for making, buying and selling unless they are part of the bastion system.

I don't think I've heard a lot of people clamoring for changes to magic items other than wanting crafting rules and pricing for buying and selling guidance?
Well, that raises a good question -- what is going to be included (in the packets, or the update)? Yes, character creation and feats and spells and a few rules highly related to such things are all well and good. But are we getting better exploration rules? Better treasure rules? Better Challenge Rating (either rules or communication)? What's on the table?

Remove ads