D&D (2024) Predictions for Playtest packet 7's arrival

I think it's obvious we'll see the Warriors and Mages, with full subclass representation. We'll finally have our answers for which 4 subclasses for each class they are most interested in showcasing in 2024. Unless a particular subclass gets rated very low, this will likely lock the subclasses in for the final book.

Because Warriors are front and center, I also think we could finally see any remaining updates to the weapon list and weapon mastery options. Do the designers agree with some players that Monks and Bards having access to only Simple Weapons is an issue? Or that short swords being Martial is an issue? Will they tweak Flex or other weapon masteries?

Because Warriors are front and center, I also think we could see a revisit to Feats, at least combat style feats. Perhaps feat prerequisites because Monks were originally pitched as "warriors" and because they are not proficient in martial weapons, they can't select many combat feats.

They may update and clarify the language for unarmed strikes/grapples/save DCs if they have feats that need to reference it.

The Mages will have their class-specific spells tweaked for flavor.

Sorcerer's Sorcery points and spells will be tweaked for balance and functionality. I'd be down for Sorcerers being able to use different ability scores for spellcasting, like the Warlock. I can see Wisdom for a Divine Soul. While thematically a Constitution sorcerer sounds fun, that would be too powerful if only because of the ability to be Single Ability Dependent compared to other sorcerers or casters.

Because the designers have said they want to try different variants for Warlock spellcasting, they may take one more stab at a different Warlock spell progresson/recharge variation before they abandon changes and go back to Short Rest recharges.

Wizards have really good ideas, but their Spell Modification and Creation rules need tweaked. They also need to clean up the language for Scribe spell so that it works right rather than suggest an illogic loop.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
After packet6... Either an iteration on something between 1e & packet6 or back to the drawing board for another clean restart
exactly GIF

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
If we're doing predictions, then they'll offer up revisions for the Warrior group, including revisions to the monk. Somehow WotC will still make a monk that sounds cool, but is pretty ineffective in actual play.
I doubt we'll see the Monk in the next packet—they're going to need to unwind the feedback from this packet before the next Monk iteration.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Nerd Immersion has a video on the UA process. So 1 to 5 was the experimental stuff then it's going to be stuff for the New PHB then DMG.
Just to save some searching for folks.

I like the description of buying & selling magic items in the background while out adventuring. It drives ne crazy how more than any edition prior 5e magic item buy/sell/trade seems to turn into bob holds the table hostage to get the item & price he wants or just says no deal for the gold/magic item they don't need after burning session time haggling. Sounds like that would be addressed with yes/no it happened & this was what you got/spent from the deed that's already done.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
After watching today's video for Packet 5 I'm going to say the next packet will appear next week. I say that because it was mentioned in the video "the next packet is nigh". Not a direct quote but still hints that it's soon.
Yea, even if not planned I think they will quickly put out whatever portion is ready. Otherwise the rugpull will send things into a rather nasty direction pretty quick I think

Remove ads