D&D 5E Preview 3: Rings

KarinsDad

Adventurer
So the user can cast:

2 charges: 2 ball lightning spheres, single target, triggered, 5D4 lightning damage, 0 damage if saved
2 charges: 2 shooting star motes, multi-target, instantaneous, 5D4 fire damage, 2.5D4 damage if saved

Ball Lightning appears to be designed for control (and for light/pushing out in front of the group as they explore), but very little damage compared to Shooting Stars which is multi-target and does damage on a save.

Although ball lightning could control some NPCs, they shouldn't necessarily know that if they get within 5 feet, it discharges. That might be a difficult one for a DM to adjudicate fairly (do the NPCs avoid the adjacent square if using grids, or not?).

"Requires attunement outdoors at night"

Ok, just the fact that they have those kinds of stipulations makes me immensely excited. What about a weapon that you can only attune by say.... killing a specific enemy? Attuning by being in a volcano? Attuning by having a white dragon breathe on it?

Well heck, now I have to put these into my campaign anyway, even if they don't.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Deck of Many Things was nice. Figurines of Wondrous Power were better. But, surprisingly, this is the preview that has finally got me excited about the DMG.

I think it's a combination of things...

The artwork is really nice (love that two-finger ring). The items seem well-balanced, and the rarity guide is exciting to me as a DM. The ring of shooting stars has the level of flexibility and quirkiness that I know will excite my players. And I LOVE the definition of the different gems for the ring of resistance. This harkens back to the 1e days of "Gem Properties", and gives some guidance for magic item creation. For example, a PC needs to find a perfect gemstone of a certain kind to create a specific ring (along with other resources, time, etc).

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I hope the Ring of Protection works like the Ring of Resistance, but for physical damage types.

I believe that type of item is normally a belt.

As an interesting note:
None of the rings in the artwork are the Ring of Sustenance, or the Ring of the Ram.

Last edited:

ranger69

Explorer
Has anybody else noticed the recharge rate on the ring of shooting stars. 1d6. Use your charges wisely, you may only get one charge tomorrow if you use all six today. I like that you have that as a recharge.

Remove ads