• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

orsal

LEW Judge
haakon1 said:
DANE county, Lake GENEVA, or Green Bay, it's all a bunch of Norse pantheon types to me. Which is why there's so much beer and brats.
;)

Dane County actually has nothing to do with Denmark -- it was named for an early settler, Nathaniel Dane (I might be misremembering the first name). The Danish part of the state is Racine -- Dane County is Norwegian (and Stoughton still has the world's largest Syttende Mai celebration outside Norway). But you're right, the beer and brats are due to the German heritage, and the lutefisk to the Norwegian.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
orsal said:
Dane County actually has nothing to do with Denmark -- it was named for an early settler, Nathaniel Dane (I might be misremembering the first name). The Danish part of the state is Racine -- Dane County is Norwegian (and Stoughton still has the world's largest Syttende Mai celebration outside Norway). But you're right, the beer and brats are due to the German heritage, and the lutefisk to the Norwegian.
So pass the lefsa and patatascarv (sp?) ... and the bottle of glug :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Wolv0rine

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Well, how about the Dutchmen that...

Ah, never mind, I see what you mean;)

Milwaukee did attract a lot of Polacks, though :lol:

Cheers,
Gary
You must have gotten the overflow from Toledo. ;)

orsal said:
Dane County actually has nothing to do with Denmark -- it was named for an early settler, Nathaniel Dane (I might be misremembering the first name). The Danish part of the state is Racine

I'm learning more about the Badger State now than when I was a Badger. Oh well, still got the Wisconsin sweatshirt -- +2 to football fandom, but a +4 whopping to saves v. cold.

orsal said:
Dane County is Norwegian (and Stoughton still has the world's largest Syttende Mai celebration outside Norway). But you're right, the beer and brats are due to the German heritage, and the lutefisk to the Norwegian.

So Stoughton trailers are Norwegian made?

The Ballard area of Seattle has a big celebration too, but I've never made it down there on the proper day. Mostly because I can't remember which day Syttende is. Gotta be 17th? Or maybe the nearest Saturday to that. :\

Col_Pladoh said:
So pass the lefsa and patatascarv (sp?) ... and the bottle of glug :lol:

No idea what glug is . . . but I know Solo -- that's Norwegian orange soda. They sell it in Brooklyn and in a machine in a train station on the Hardanger Vita where there's a side train down to different fjord off the main Bergen-Oslo line, or at least they did, when I bought it, but that may have the only two bottles ever sold, for all I know.

Yes, Gary, I don't know pop. :)

And if somebody knows the side train I'm talking about, I'm impressed. Around here, it seems like somebody knows everything! I have a feeling the town it went to was "Falm" or something, and it was on the Hardangerfjord, but it was 1990.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
It's during conversations such as this that I'm most glad I grew up in San Diego County. A mix of New Yorkers, Iowans, and Hispanics with Zonies in the summertime.

BTW, "Iowans" includes Vietnamese, Philipinos, and Cambodians, since they're mostly from farming stock too. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Well...

Polish girls are generally good looking, and Polish food is pretty good, but I can't polka for shuckens, never could.

One of my uncles married a Swede, the other a Dane, so I got a fair bit of Scandanavian fare, especially on New Year's Eve when I learned to like pickled herring...eaten for prosperity in the coming year. I still do that :lol:

Glug is a hot mixed drink with some sort of spices added that has a good bit of alcohol in it. I haven't had it in years, but it isn't bad on a cold winter night.

As for Vietnamese, well, I have a son-in-law that is Chinese-Vietnamese, and I enjoyed summer rolls last night for dinner courtesy of that worthy :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Polish girls are generally good looking, and Polish food is pretty good, but I can't polka for shuckens, never could.

'Round here, if you can do the chicken dance, you're in like flint. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads