Quirky Food Habits

So - I realized this morning when I was pouring myself my daily bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats that I flip over all of my mini-wheats so that they are frosting-side-up before I pour in the milk. If a mini-wheat ends up frosting-side-down, the milk dissolves the frosting and that makes me angry!

Do you have any quirky food habits?

reveal

Adventurer
I try not to take my breakfast cereal so seriously. ;)

I don't really think I have any "weird" food quirks. I guess the weirdest thing I do is eat one item on the plate at a time, unconciously. For example, if I have a chop, potatoes, and green beans, I'll eat the chop first, completely, then finish off the potatoes, and then finish the green beans. If I catch myself doing it, I'll make an effort to stop and "mix it up."

Xath

Moder-gator
I have a wierd habit with sandwiches. First I bite off all of the crust around the edge of the sandwich. Then I smush the remainder between my hands to get it as flat as possible, essentially smushing all of the air out of the bread. Then I eat it.

der_kluge

Adventurer
reveal said:
I try not to take my breakfast cereal so seriously. ;)

I don't really think I have any "weird" food quirks. I guess the weirdest thing I do is eat one item on the plate at a time, unconciously. For example, if I have a chop, potatoes, and green beans, I'll eat the chop first, completely, then finish off the potatoes, and then finish the green beans. If I catch myself doing it, I'll make an effort to stop and "mix it up."

You and my wife would get along swimmingly. She does the exact same thing. Her argument is that some foods will get cold, and she wants to eat them all first. Like, if she has french fries, she'll often eat all of her fries before they get cool before eating the sandwich. If I make a salad at home, she'll save it for last, since it's already cold, and there's no hurry to eat it.

The only odd food thing I can think of that I do is to lick all the nacho cheese off a Dorito before I eat it.

AIM-54

First Post
Probably more than I can name, but the one that I can think of:

In a similar vein to the initial post: When I eat Cheerios, I must put the cereal in the bowl, pour the milk, and then spoon on 3-3 1/2 spoonfuls of sugar. Yes, it must be 3-3 1/2 spoonfuls. I do the same thing with oatmeal, only no milk and it's brown sugar. The above ratio stands, as well.

Quirky? Maybe. I'll let you be the jury. :p

Rel

Liquid Awesome
One that I get asked about once in a while is how I pour my coffee. I take the empty coffee cup and pour in a bit of creamer first. Then I add a half a pack of sweetener. Then (and only then) do I pour in the coffee.

But this isn't done for the pure "quirk" factor. It's practical because the churning of the coffee automatically mixes the creamer and sweetener without the need to stir it with a spoon. This saves me from having to undertake the monumental task of getting a spoon out of the drawer, stirring and then putting the spoon into the dishwasher.

And believe me, that's a hell of a lot of effort before I've had my first cup of coffee.

reveal

Adventurer
Rel said:
One that I get asked about once in a while is how I pour my coffee. I take the empty coffee cup and pour in a bit of creamer first. Then I add a half a pack of sweetener. Then (and only then) do I pour in the coffee.

But this isn't done for the pure "quirk" factor. It's practical because the churning of the coffee automatically mixes the creamer and sweetener without the need to stir it with a spoon. This saves me from having to undertake the monumental task of getting a spoon out of the drawer, stirring and then putting the spoon into the dishwasher.

And believe me, that's a hell of a lot of effort before I've had my first cup of coffee.

I do the same thing, although I just use sugar. I had someone ask me once why I did it and I said it was because I'm so clumsy, I usually end up spilling coffee everywhere while stirring it.

buzzard

First Post
Hmm, about the weirdest one I do is make sure the last bite of a meal is a piece of meat. So if I'm having a steak, veggies and potato (for example), I will balance out things eating some of each as I go along, but making sure the last bite is a piece of steak.

I'm not exactly sure that's gonna peg any weird meters however.

buzzard

I abhor drinking anything but soda with pizza.

Chocolate demands milk.

I'd rather spend 10 minutes boiling water, cooking pasta, draining, then adding some sort of sauce, than spend 2 minutes to make a sandwich. Somehow the sandwich feels like it takes more work.

Remove ads