RPGs, new games and originality

Yora

Legend
I actually don't know a single story game, or even what a story game is supposed to be.
But apparently they are popular and a big deal.

Aldarc

Legend
What if you don't like narrative games, Story Now, etc? What's out there outside of D&D for that? The basic design philosophy for those games is do fundamentally different that, coming from D&D, it may very well be too big a shock to even feel like the same hobby to a long-time D&D player. I know I've bounced off those kinds of games every time I've encountered them.
Yeah, I know. I just see narrative games trotted out whenever anyone suggests moving beyond D&D, and for some/many it's a bridge too far. It certainly has been for me ime.
Thanks for the concern. I suspect I'm not the only person who's interested in games that aren't D&D, but not on board with the narrative/storygame movement.
Yes it does, and I've played about a dozen of them. But the talk around here generally doesn't dwell on any of those games, but rather on D&D and its relatives, and a vocal group of narrative/storygame fans.
Could you maybe not turn this thread into one complaining about story games and the people here who like them? I would hate to see this thread derailed. Thanks.

Indeed. I sure wish folks talked about them more.
There is nothing stopping you from talking about them on these forums.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Yes it does, and I've played about a dozen of them. But the talk around here generally doesn't dwell on any of those games, but rather on D&D and its relatives, and a vocal group of narrative/storygame fans.
Just so you know, there are other large rpg forums with major sections for non-d20 games. And it's possible to use and frequent more than one forum. That way one can get a wider perspective on the different games that are played.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Could you maybe not turn this thread into one complaining about story games and the people here who like them? I would hate to see this thread derailed. Thanks.

There is nothing stopping you from talking about them on these forums.
I will accept your request to avoid the storygame soap box, although I still think my points are valid.

And there's nothing stopping you, me or anyone else from talking about any game here. I would just like to hear more, and find it disappointing that discussion has largely polarized.

Micah Sweet

Just so you know, there are other large rpg forums with major sections for non-d20 games. And it's possible to use and frequent more than one forum. That way one can get a wider perspective on the different games that are played.
The only other large game forum I'm familiar with is RPG.net, which I used to frequent. In my experience, the site is heavily frequented by 4e and narrative/storygame fans. Really not my crowd.

Oh, also Dragonfoot, but that's not really relevant in context.

Aldarc

Legend
I will accept your request to avoid the storygame soap box, although I still think my points are valid.
Who doesn't think their own points are valid? ;)

And there's nothing stopping you, me or anyone else from talking about any game here. I would just like to hear more, and find it disappointing that discussion has largely polarized.
Then make an effort in taking an active part in talking about the sort of games that you want to talk about. Make more (+) threads. Don't feed or contribute to the polarization.

What traditional non-D&D games would you like to talk about? 🤷‍♂️

I find it extremely difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff on Reddit. Is there a subforum you would suggest?
Not any one subreddit in particular, but this collation of links may be a good start for you. You know your interests better than I do.

Micah Sweet

Who doesn't think their own points are valid? ;)

Then make an effort in taking an active part in talking about the sort of games that you want to talk about. Make more (+) threads. Don't feed or contribute to the polarization.

What traditional non-D&D games would you like to talk about? 🤷‍♂️

Not any one subreddit in particular, but this collation of links may be a good start for you. You know your interests better than I do.
The non-D&D games I've played most often include Legend of the Five Rings (pre-FFG), Cyberpunk 2020, Call of Cthulhu, Marvel Super Heroes (TSR), Mutants and Masterminds 3E, and Deadlands (Classic). I own and have an interest in Star Trek Adventures, Star Wars (FFG), The One Ring, Traveler (various), Pendragon, Hackmaster, and many others.

Remove ads