• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seventh Level Monk

Legildur

First Post
Arkhandus said:
The only debate is some stupid semantics about whether a feat counts as an effect or not. It's lame really.
LOL! I wonder why the previous threads on this topic might have been shut down... ;)

As for the OP questions, take INA if your DM will allow you, and Ability Focus as well.

Personally, I'd throw the 17 into Str (boost at 4th), the 16 into Con and the 14 each into Dex and Wis. Cha is the obvious dump stat with that array.

Definately boost Wis (or Con if you put the 16 in Wis).

Bracers of Armor or Ring of Protection would be nice, but either way your AC will suck.

Stalker0

Legend
If you have a druid or a Use magic device rogue in the party, consider buying a wand of magic fang instead. It will save you a ton of gold and xp.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I see you got your name fixed. I told you the mods rock, and that being polite always makes you look better! :D

Now .. onto your monk. Have you decided which you are getting, the periapt or the amulet?

Banosby

First Post
Here's what I have so far:

Falir Falzak of Vonerg {Lawful Good, with a focus on the lawful}
HP: 58
AC: 18
Maxed Skills: Escape Artist, Tumble Half-maxed skills: Listen, Spot, Jump, Climb
Monk Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Combat Reflexes, and
Improved Trip.
Other Feats: Improved Grapple, Improved Natural Attack*, and Weapon Focus [Unarmed]
Equipment: Belt of Ogre Power +2*, Periapt of Wisdom +2, Gloves of Dexterity +2,
Ring of Protection +1, Potion of Cure Light (4), Potion of Mage Armor (4)

*Approved by the DM.

This leaves me with about 4500 to spend. I'm thinking about purchasing a wand of mage armor for the sorcerer to use on me (he doesn't have the spell himself). Other than that, I'm not sure what to get. A magic sling or some magic shuriken might be handy, but since I'm the closest thing the a front-line fighter the party has I don't expect to be using ranged weapons all that much. *edit* I'm also thinking about a cloak of resistance +1, but my saves already seem fairly high. I'm also thinking about just saving the money until I get enough to get a Monk's Belt.

I'm also wondering about taking ability focus. Several people have mentioned that I should take it, but it would mean dropping weapon focus and I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Most of the complaints I've heard about stunning fist revolve around the monk not hitting in the first place, so it seems like weapon focus might be better. But then I expect the lot of you would know about that than I.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Chances are your Stunning Fist will be nigh-worthless against melee threats of similar level unless you focus on boosting the save DC. Thus the need for Ability Focus and the Periapt of Wisdom if you go with Stunning Fist as a feat. Your attack bonus should already be pretty good unarmed, so Weapon Focus can probably wait until 9th level or later.

Legildur

First Post
Banosby said:
I'm also wondering about taking ability focus. Several people have mentioned that I should take it, but it would mean dropping weapon focus and I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Most of the complaints I've heard about stunning fist revolve around the monk not hitting in the first place, so it seems like weapon focus might be better. But then I expect the lot of you would know about that than I.
Yeah, stick with WF since you have to fill the front line role. Treat Stunning Fist as divine intervention... if you pray hard enough it might work occasionally...... and you'll be thankful when it does. :)

Vlad Le Démon

First Post
8th Level Monk

Hello,

Here is my Elven Monk I'm currently playing in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.
Errellion
STR 17
DEX 18
WIS 22 (Tome of Understanding +2 + Periapt of Wisdom +2)
INT 14
CHA 12
CON 12

FEATS:Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Dodge, Mobility, Fiery Fist, Improved Trip, Spring Attack...

SKILLS:
Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently, Jump, Tumble (all at 11 ranks)

Other Notable Equipment: Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Mind Shielding (found on a cultist), Ki Straps (found on a evil monk), Bracers of Armors +1, Quiver of Ehlonna (found during the last session), various Potions...a +2 War Fan (with a lesser crystal of energy assault) and a Masterwork Composite Longbow.

Role & Strategy:
- Scouting
- Spring Attack Tharizdun worshipers to Stunning them...
- Archery

For the upcomming levels, I'd like to focus on the Stunning Fist strategy, with Feats like Pain Touch, Ability Focus & Improved Initiative...
Since the last session I've realized that I need to increase my initiative checks...I want to play first to Stun (via Spring Attack) the ennemy spellcaster...but I'd like to see the Stunning Fists effects last longer...
What would you choose ? What would you modify (via retraining) ? What kind of equipment would you focus on ?

mvincent

Explorer
I recommend a permanent greater magic fang +5 for about 9k gp.

Obligatory notes to ward of whining: susceptibility to dispel magic should not be an issue (the DC to dispel CL 20 spell is 31, and the dispel magic spell only goes as high as DC 30). At later levels, greater dispel magic might be an issue (even though I hardly ever see a DM hit a monk with one of these), but:
1) A ring of counterspells (loaded with GDM) should prevent targeted greater dispels
2) Multiple CL 21 magic mouths can act as shielding vs. area greater dispels

Darklone

Vlad Le Démon said:
Hello,

Here is my Elven Monk I'm currently playing in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
For the upcomming levels, I'd like to focus on the Stunning Fist strategy, with Feats like Pain Touch, Ability Focus & Improved Initiative...
Since the last session I've realized that I need to increase my initiative checks...I want to play first to Stun (via Spring Attack) the ennemy spellcaster...but I'd like to see the Stunning Fists effects last longer...
What would you choose ? What would you modify (via retraining) ? What kind of equipment would you focus on ?
Get some rogue levels, take the Ascetic Rogue feat (another +2 to stunning fist DC, Ability Focus is mandatory).

Rapid Stunning and Weakening Touch from CW looks great. Trade Sneak attack damage per Staggering Strike into more annoyance.

Remove ads