Should off-topic polls be allowed in the Off-Topic Forum?

Should off-topic polls be allowed in the off-topic forum?

• Yes, allow off-topic polls.

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • No, don't allow off-topic polls.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Neither of your options is adequate for me, fool!

Votes: 17 27.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallok

First Post
I think they should be allowed, but as orbitalfreak said, just set a common sense limit on them, even one or two nonsensical are fine, but not 8 at a time, so yes, but don't necessarily announce "OT polls are allowed now! come post random pollls just for attention!"

johnsemlak

First Post
I voted no, but it's no big deal. I suppose if they're kept in the OT forum, they'll be out of the way.

BTW, I was and am against the OT forum anyway.

Buttercup said:
I'd advocate taking a wait-and-see attitude. I didn't have high hopes for this forum, but it's going well. The place hasn't turned into spam heaven or anything. There is a possibility that allowing off topic polls would change that balance. Since this is still an experiment, I don't think it's a good idea to add another variable right now. If this forum ends up staying, then maybe in a few months it would be a good idea to see what happens if OT polls are also allowed.
I'm with Buttercup on this one. Since we are still in the trial period on this forum, I'd wait until a final decision is made on weather or not the forum stays before starting to allow off-topic polls.

I'm still leaning on the side of "No, this forum is not a good idea" since I think everything in general works better (and I don't like the name "The Hive" either), so I voted NO.

So, I guess I'm just full of negativity today.

On a more serious note: can the server handle the strain? I thought the ban on OT polls was in part resource related.
I thought the ban was for the same reason. Before you make any decision on OT polls, I'd check with Morrus on this. I'd hate for you to allow OT polls and find out that we are back where we were several months ago with crashes happening left and right.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I say no, speaking as a fellow forum member. Some one will come along and start crud like "do you roleplay?" "does your spouse roleplay?" "does your father roleplay?" "does your cat roleplay?"

etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.

As a moderator, I'd rather people HAVE to explain their answers, than offer a poll. More importantly, I'd rather not have to slap down the abuses and instead let people offer everything from the witty to the insightful.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The ban on OT polls was because they were incredibly annoying, not because they are a resource drain. :p

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Silver Moon said:
I don't know. Maybe. Why don't you start a poll with that question to see what everyone thinks? :D
I actually asked the above as a joke. I actually am not overly fond of silly polls and voted no.

Tauric

First Post
While I like this forum, because as (I think it was) Tom Cashel said, it's nice to be able to talk to your gaming buddies about more than just gaming, I don't think OT polls are a good idea.

I was convinced of this by the ridiculous cheese eating poll already posted.

Also, I don't like the idea of the word "Hive" in the name of this forum. It is too close to Hivemind, and they already have one of those little tab-thingies of their own.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads