• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Tales of the Valiant Alpha Release is out.

Reynard

Legend
Huge. No idea why this isn't the standard (and it will be in any PDFs I create herein out)
It's always been there. The only difference is that TotV turns it into a DC, putting the roll in the player's domain. Which is awesome most of the time. But it isn't like Perception and Stealth haven't been right there the whole time.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It's always been there. The only difference is that TotV turns it into a DC, putting the roll in the player's domain. Which is awesome most of the time. But it isn't like Perception and Stealth haven't been right there the whole time.
I don't see Stealth anywhere on any stablocks (unless they are trained or something). And yes, PP is there, but this is cleaner, so I'll give you that.

Reynard

Legend
I don't see Stealth anywhere on any stablocks (unless they are trained or something). And yes, PP is there, but this is cleaner, so I'll give you that.
Stealth is under skills, if it isn't just a Dex check.

Don't get me wrong: I am NOT arguing against the ToV stat block and including Stealth and Perception as DCs. I was merely pushing back against the idea that it hadn't been there at all.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Stealth is under skills, if it isn't just a Dex check.

Don't get me wrong: I am NOT arguing against the ToV stat block and including Stealth and Perception as DCs. I was merely pushing back against the idea that it hadn't been there at all.
Certainly didn't mean to insinuate it was never there, only that it wasn't there in this current form, and this current form is an improvement IMHO.

I'll even go further and specifically spell out that Perception and Stealth as DCs should inform monster/NPC attacks flipping to DCs so that players are making a Defense roll. I doubt Tales will go in that direction, but anything that cuts down on GM rolls in favor of engaging players outside of their turn is a big playability improvement.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Certainly didn't mean to insinuate it was never there, only that it wasn't there in this current form, and this current form is an improvement IMHO.

I'll even go further and specifically spell out that Perception and Stealth as DCs should inform monster/NPC attacks flipping to DCs so that players are making a Defense roll. I doubt Tales will go in that direction, but anything that cuts down on GM rolls in favor of engaging players outside of their turn is a big playability improvement.
I have no interest in players rolling for monster attacks (which is all you are suggesting, just inverse), if that is your suggestion.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
I have no interest in players rolling for monster attacks (which is all you are suggesting, just inverse), if that is your suggestion.
I'm sure you're safe. I can't imagine KP going in that direction with it, but maybe I could get a sidebar, at least ;-P

Reynard

Legend
I agree. In combat anyway, I think there is a benefit to a little "player vs GM" mindset and the GM rolling to hit the PCs helps engender that.

Marc Radle

Legend
Tales of the Valiant RPG Alpha Release now available at DrivethruRPG

Tell Your Own Tales!

Whether you are a decades-long veteran of multiple editions of Dungeons & Dragons, or a new player looking for a game empowered by the tabletop community, the Tales of the Valiant Alpha Release delivers the full experience to you. All the tools of high adventure are here—plus new twists and new options born in the Kobold Press dungeons!

This Alpha Release includes:
  • Full character creation rules, adventuring equipment, and spell selections
  • Powerful fighter options like the Spell Blade and Weapon Master
  • Clever rogue options like the Enforcer and Thief
  • Classic wizard options like the Battle Mage and the Cantrip Adept
  • More than 70 monsters including the crimson jelly, husk demon, owlbear, void dragon, mechadron, rust monster, skeleton, sporeborn, and more!

With support for every play style from story-driven narrative gaming to rules-heavy dungeon-delving, Tales of the Valiant RPG is the sharp blade you need to slay dragons, seize treasure, and tell your own tales!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/446278/Tales-of-the-Valiant-RPG-Alpha-Release

Marc Radle

Legend
F1V4yL4XwAEuIll.jpg

Did you miss out on the Kickstarter? No fear - Pre-Orders are live!

Remove ads