• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The classes that nobody wants to play

The classes that nobody wants to play

• Barbarian

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Bard

Votes: 38 16.6%
  • Cleric

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • Druid

Votes: 55 24.0%
  • Fighter

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Monk

Votes: 71 31.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Ranger

Votes: 63 27.5%
  • Rogue

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 60 26.2%
  • Warlock

Votes: 46 20.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 25 10.9%

The Jenneral

Villager
Cleric, Druid, and Wizard are the only classes I've never seen in play. If I had to guess at why, it's probably because wizards lack a lot of the flash of the more charisma based casters, most people who I've seen considering a cleric end up settling on a paladin, and druids just aren't a household name on the same level as your paladins or your fighters.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
In my group the psionic is the classes that most players don't want to play except one may be, but since it's not on the list i'll say the class that is played the least is the druid.

Yan
D&D Playtester

In my group the psionic is the classes that most players don't want to play except one may be, but since it's not on the list i'll say the class that is played the least is the druid.

Yan
D&D Playtester

I deliberately excluded the psionic classes because they are still in draft form and right now are not AL legal. Perhaps I will redo this poll when the psionic classes have been finalized and sufficient time has passed for people to play them.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Paladin, Druid, Wizard, Cleric. In that order.

The Heroic Knight in Shining Armor isn't really a character type that fits our stories, fortunately a few more subclass options have popped up, so more people started playing them.

My group dislikes how complex Druids are, the few people who have played them have used the circle of the land because wildshape and spellcasting is too much to handle at once.

Only one person has played a wizard. However, several people have expressed interest in playing a Wizard, they just have other characters that they wanted to play first due to the shiny class features that other spellcasters have.

Likewise, one person has played a Cleric. Everyone else who wanted to play a supporting role gravitated to the Bard or even Druid. All the other things you would use a cleric for (be the favored champion of an otherworldly entity) are thematically covered by other classes with better mechanics to suit the theme.

Plaguescarred

I deliberately excluded the psionic classes because they are still in draft form and right now are not AL legal. Perhaps I will redo this poll when the psionic classes have been finalized and sufficient time has passed for people to play them.
I didn't think you meant for 5E strictly since your title or post doesn't say so specifically so i wasn't thinking just 5E but i now see that you do : )

I wouldn't be surprised if psionic gets in there that it rapidly become the most voted one as it's always been marginal.

Yan
D&D Playtester

I didn't think you meant for 5E strictly since your title or post doesn't say so specifically so i wasn't thinking just 5E but i now see that you do : )

I wouldn't be surprised if psionic gets in there that it rapidly become the most voted one as it's always been marginal.

Yan
D&D Playtester

Well, I for one am looking forward to trying the psionic (mystic?) class once it is finalized for 5E. :) But it has been considered marginal in the past, perhaps because people think psionics don't belong in fantasy. :(

Plaguescarred

Well, I for one am looking forward to trying the psionic (mystic?) class once it is finalized for 5E. :) But it has been considered marginal in the past, perhaps because people think psionics don't belong in fantasy. :(
Yeah they've always been considered marginal by people either due to different flavor or mechanic. It's no less fun to play though!

Yan
D&D Playtester

ehenning

Explorer
Interesting to read many of the responses here indicating group or DM preference rather than specific issues with a class. And that the classes mentioned are widely varied.

My group has played with every class but Fighter and Bard. This is not because of preference but simply because we haven't gotten to trying the class (we play our characters through to 15-20 lvl before retiring them usually)

The variety of opinions here tells me that the classes are mostly balanced and 5e provides something for the vast majority of players. Good to see.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Honestly, aside from the secondary DM's ban on the Paladin in his current campaign, the only class that nobody in my group seems to want to play would have to be the Wizard.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Hmm. In my area, nobody plays fighters or sorcerers. I've seen every other class represented, and successfully. Actually, I guess I've never seen a druid played either, but there was a guy who wanted to play one before he was talked out of it.

Remove ads