• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Coldlands War, Part I

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
The city of Mechanicus is large, undoubtedly the largest city in all of the Coldlands. Large smokestacks in the industry ward spew forth plumes of dark black smoke, causing soot and ash to cover everything nearby; the sounds of vehicles, those of both the ground and the skies, fill the air with endless roaring; the streets are occupied by people heading to and from their jobs, endless mobs of faces that have been hardened by the life of the working class.

Finding the train station of the coldlands rail is relatively easy, as the tracks that run southward to Nitzath are relatively close to your barracks. The train station itself is not a massive building, but it is impressive despite its small size. A small set of stairs leads up to the doors, a set of four made out of semi-transparent glass. A large board is set into the wall next to the doors.

Code:
[color=white]STATION M-2: SCHEDULE

--TRAIN 1--			--TRAIN 2--
TO		TIME DEPARTING	TO		TIME DEPARTING
Nitzath		2:00		Nitzath		0:00
		6:00				4:00
		10:00				8:00
		14:00				12:00
		18:00				16:00
		22:00				20:00

FROM		TIME ARRIVING	FROM		TIME ARRIVING
Nitzath		1:30		Nitzath		3:30
		5:30				7:30
		9:30				11:30
		13:30				15:30
		17:30				19:30
		21:30				23:30[/color]

Above the sign is a clockface, indicating that it is 7:45.

Imerak

First Post
"Any time soon?" Akamarr asks, still not familiar with this strange organization of time. He was not happy with the whole situation, and hoped it would be done with as soon as possible. He hoped that these trains would be comfortable, at least.

Krug

Newshound
Elkus is reminded of his first train journey. He spent long hours looking out of the window at the changing landscape. He waits quitely with the others.

Komodo

First Post
Ursus stares at the time tables for a moment, then turns to the group with a clank. "The second train is leaving in fifteen minutes. Are all of you prepared, or shall we wait for the next rain, which will leave in two hours and fifteen minutes?" The mechanical man pauses, almost thoughtfully. "I do not possess any notes at this time. May I borrow fare for passage?"

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Tyliss hands Ursus a coal and says nothing more. He waits thinking about turning Elkus into a beaver as he sugested a few moments ago. All it would take is a Polymorph Scroll and a bit of luck. he thinks to himself and smiles strangley at the Gremlin.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
You wait for only a short while, it seems, and then there is a loud whistle in the distance; shortly thereafter you can hear the sounds of a train coming up along the track.

At 7:51, the train pulls into the station. It is several cars long, with the engine a great behemoth, one of the marvels of modern day. However, it is far from new; many of the cars in the train have been battered, and it appears that they have suffered some recent damage: some of them are warped slightly, and some of the wheels are not entirely on the track, which is probably why it was so late in arriving. At the end of the train is another engine, apparently used for the return journey to Nitzath, as it is not currently operating.

Krug

Newshound
"What happened here?" asks Elkus, looking at the badly damaged train. He looks for someone he can ask who gets off the train.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
You head into the train station, looking for someone who can tell you what happened.

Elkus
"What happened here?"

"The work a demons, that's what!" A loud voice calls from the engine, apparently hearing your question. A dwarf with a graying beard hops out of it, and dusts himself off, a cloud of coal dust settling about him.

He approaches your small group, as a few dozen people of various races disembark from the train. They scatter, some in small groups, and are shortly gone from the station.

"We were leavin' the Balcony station," He says, his voice like the rumbling of stones, "an' all of a sudden, there was a rockslide! There's a cliff overlookin' Balcony, an' part of it just gave way! Now, I don't know what you all know about Balcony, but that cliff's where it got it's name, an' it's never spit out rocks like that. It's unnatural, I tell ya! Almost knocked the train right offa the tracks!"

He narrows his eyes. "It's the wizard, I tell ya! Ya've heard of 'em, a course! The wizard! He's makin' all this trouble!"

Remove ads