• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Incarnum based warlock

Sravoff

First Post
I was thinking of changng the warlock to use incarnum for all invocations and special abilities. Basically, at the beginiing of the warlocks turn, he would invest essential into whatever abilities he wanted to use for that turn. Warlocks would ignore the usual character essential restrictions, and would instead have their own maximums for their abilities only. Any feats they gained would go off regular rules.

Eldritch Blast- By investing a point of essentia into this ability, gives the warlock the ability to use the eldritch blast spell-like ability. Eldtrich Blast is a 60 foot line ranged touch attack with no savign throw. The Eldritch Blast deals 1d6 damage for every point of essentia invested, and has a spell level equal to the invested essentia. The Warlock gains an expanded eldritch blast capacity at level 3rd, 5th, 7th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th.

Invocations- Invocations work very similar to eldtrich blast. ATt the beginning of the warlocks turn he or she may invest essential into an invocation. Doing so allows the warlcok to cast that invocation as a spell like ability, add an Eldritch Essence to his Eldritch Blast, or add a Blast Shape to the Eldritch Blast. To use an invocation the warlock must invest essential equal to its equivalent spell level into the invocation. A Warlock gains an expanded Invocation capacity at levels 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th, 19th.

Invcatios with a duration longer than instant give the warlock some flexibility here. Multiples of the same invocation may be cast in consecutive turns. However, essentia must be divided into each use of the invocation, and is limited by the Invocation Capacity stated earlier. Also, the new use of the invocation must be cast at full power meaning essentia must be invested equal to its equivalent spell level. in order to do this, th warlcok may need to realocate soem essentia from the rganal use of the invocation. When realocation esentia the bond is weakened and some effects occur. If the spell allowed a saving through, the target is allowed a new one, with the reduced DC for the reduced spell level when esential was taken out. Also, for every essentia taken out, the caster level of the warlock for that invocation is reduced by one, and the invocation behaves as if one time increment has passed for each essentia. Any invocation that has zero essentia invested automatiaclly stops.

So a 5th level warlcok uses the earthen grasp invocation. He invests two points of essentia into the invocation at the start of his turn. He casts it as a 2nd level spell. At fifth level, the spell lasts for ten rounds (2 rounds/level). At the start his next turn, our warlock wants another copy of that same invocation in play. So he removes one essentia from his current Earthen Grasp invocation, and adds it to the oen he is about to use. It is cast as a second level spell. His first copy is now a first leevl spell for all saving throws and dispel effects, has a duration of eight rounds (His caster level went down by one) and two rounds have past(one in real time, and one when he removed an esentia point), leaving six rounds left.

A nineth level Warlock casts charm on a goblin. The goblin fails his save, and is charmed. To cast it, the warlock had to invest four points of essentia into it, so his essentia pool is reduced by four until the spell ends or he reallocates some. On his next turn, he wants to charm the goblins friend. So he reallocates three of the four essentia to his next use of the Charm invocation. When he reallocates three essentia, several things happen. First, his caster level for the first charm invocation drops from seven to four. The duration also drops, as three hours pass when the essentia is pulled. The goblin also gains a new saving throw, DC10+1(reduced spell level)+Chr Bonus. Because the maximum essentia capacity for invocations i five at this point, our warlock cannot invest th full four points into Charm. He already has one in the first copy, and four in the second, totaling five, his maximum. However, should the goblin make his save, the first charm would end, and the warlock would have one more essentia open for distribution into the Charm Invocation.

This is a prett rough draft, I'm just tryign to see if this makes sense to any body and wodnerign if they have any thoughts about it. I haven't worked on the essentia pool yet, but its going to be a little bit high I think. By level twenty tleast nine oints for an eldritch blast, and another seven or so for other invocation maybe? Not exactly sure, I haven't done any number chrunching with that yet.

Thank you for reading, please post any questions or comments
Thanks,
Sravoff

Pyrex

First Post
It's an interesting idea, but I think you should call your token pool something other than "Essentia" since this character really doesn't follow the rules for Incarnum anyway.

Actually, it might be better if based off of a Psion.

Change the duration of all non-instantaneous powers to "Permanent until Dismissed", then set a "minimum duration" for recovery of those points after use. (For example: any points expended on 3rd level powers would recover after three rounds for instantaneous powers or three rounds after the power was dismissed for non-instantaneous powers)

(gotta run, if you're interested in developing this angle further, I'll post more later)

Sravoff

First Post
Yeah, I can see what you mean about not really following the rules for essentia. However, I am trying to get it worked out as essentia, for my homebrew world. Its going to be pretty heavy on incarnum though not so much as how incarnum was printed. The main force does more "sciencey" incarnum projects.

That being said, any ideas to make it closer to the way incarnum is used? I was hoping to leave the essentia in to allow feats and such to use it, or eve soulmelds from incarnum classes. I don't know though, the mechanic may have to change quite a bit to fit in better with the other incarnum classes.

Pyrex

First Post
Right, but the warlock is not a natural fit for how you're choosing to use Incarnum.

Many Warlock abilities are designed to be always-on buffs with no scaling. How many Essentia does 'Beguiling Influence' take to power-up?

I'm not saying an Incarnum-fueled "caster" is impossible, but I'm fairly convinced that Warlock is the wrong class to base it off of.

Sorcerer is closer, but I still think Psion is about the closest fit you're going to find.

I hate the mechanics for incarnum. I loved the book, just thought that incarnum could have been executed better. And there's nothing saying that you can't call a sorcerer a meldshaper. Maybe his spells are fueled through his use of incarnum? I would stick with the concept, but allow for varied mechanics.

EDIT: Here is the link to a thread I started a while back on recharging psionics. You can use that and rename it incarnum if you like. It might need some tweaking though, I never did get much feedback.

Last edited:

D.Shaffer

First Post
I seem to be going against the grain here, but it works for me.

Just need to mention how much essentia the Warlock has per level. As a suggestion, rework the different incantations as melds to more closely tie it to the incarnum system as is, as well as give melds for them to use. Part of the trade off an Incarnum use has is that they give up slots and have to choose which melds to use and not use at any particular time.

Remove ads