The Next Dungeons & Dragons Storyline Will Be...

And the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is...

And the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is...

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist! The plot will focus on an urban treasure hunt and a focus on urban and city-based adventures with special rules for running games in that environment. The adventure itself will have variable goals and antagonists similar to the original I6: Ravenloft module, where the DM chooses what "villain" will be the secret villain of the campaign, which will change outcomes of various events. The adventure itself will also have downtime built into the adventure along with the ability to own property in Waterdeep. The adventure for Level 1-5 will be released on September 18, 2018, with an MSRP of $49.95.

A second announcement is anticipated later this weekend, as the product codenamed "Catacombs" has a release date of November 20 and is also a 256-page hardcover book. This would make Waterdeep: Dragon Heist the codename "Broadway" (which also had a custom dice release announced for solicitation last year with the other products, including "Marathon" which turned out to be Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes).

Wizards of the coast made the announcement as part of a weekend-long live streaming event on their Twitch channel, "Stream of Many Eyes". Other products announced during the live stream include updates to the Neverwinter MMO and its Barovia expansion, a new official history artbook about Dungeons & Dragons with images throughout the history of the game, and a new series of boxed sets with props and handouts for published adventures released so far as well as for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

This article will be updated with more information as the Wizards of the Coast live stream continues.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

https://www.beadleandgrimms.com/store-swag/platinum-edition

If you have 500 dollars to set on fire, you can buy a special edition from this website which is some sort of deluxe box set with miniatures, maps, props, etc.

No actual pictures of what comes in the box, however.
They said no spoilers and you don't get it until the book comes out. But, I'm thinking the player handouts Matt Mercer used on the game tonight are part of the set. Nothing but paper scrolls so far.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Read on Reddit that the DM get to choose 1 of 4 factions the players will oppose in their heist to recover a lost dragon hoard (IIRC there's a large treasure at the bottom of the WD harbor kept by a kraken-thing, explaining the Kalish apparatus in the pictures). Depending of which faction you choose, it changes the season the adventure occur. That's simple yet fun, with a potential of ''replay''.

pukunui

Legend
Read on Reddit that the DM get to choose 1 of 4 factions the players will oppose in their heist to recover a lost dragon hoard (IIRC there's a large treasure at the bottom of the WD harbor kept by a kraken-thing, explaining the Kalish apparatus in the pictures). Depending of which faction you choose, it changes the season the adventure occur. That's simple yet fun, with a potential of ''replay''.
Yep. I mentioned that in the OP. Of course, they did a similar thing with SKT and people complained bitterly about the amount of “wasted” space since you apparently can’t use all of the adventure in one go (which isn’t the case at all).

I wonder how many people will make the same complaint about this one: “I can only use 1/4 of this adventure at a time? I want my money back! Waaaah!!!1!”

lordstimpy

Explorer
Yeah, that was the first update I made to the article...just kind of ended up buried under the rest of it because I'm not sure if a $450 box of props is all that interesting...

PS.: Posting this because you haven't yet :p "I fixed the cover for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist" - Jester David

View attachment 98025

Yeah not $450 box, but I would pay a bit for a bunch of maps.

I wonder how many people will make the same complaint about this one: “I can only use 1/4 of this adventure at a time? I want my money back! Waaaah!!!1!”
A quarter of them?

I actually really like how this is half urban setting, half adventure plots. As mentioned during the round table, its a skin or outline with some details here and there so that you can easily base your adventure in Waterdeep and use W:DH not only for the 4 plot lines, but also to flesh out with your own creations and plots.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Product page is up. Says the Adventure is for levels 1-5!!! So ya, there is definitely a higher level follow up being announced tomorrow. Undermountain!!

Product page is up. Says the Adventure is for levels 1-5!!! So ya, there is definitely a higher level follow up being announced tomorrow. Undermountain!!

When are they announcing that? I don’t see another announcement or round table on the scheduled for tomorrow or Sunday.

Remove ads

Remove ads