[The One Ring] The Marsh Bell

Voda Vosa

First Post
Splashing and hopping through the marsh didn't give Kurin the chance to spot the concealed troll. He jumps back, instinctively searching for higher terrain, while his hands move to his pick. "We not know what yer speaking about troll! We be travellers, that's all, bother us no further if you care for your life!"

OOC: Character server is not working for me for some reason, can't access my sheet to see my social skills.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
OOC: forgot to mention that stumbling on the trollwife without warning is because of Authiel's Eye of Sauron on the search roll a few pages ago. Just in case it seemed arbitrarily harsh.

CaBaNa

First Post
Hobnob feels an immediate pang of guilt and begins stuttering, but no real words pour forth. The Hobbit forgets himself completely and gets far to close to the soon-to-be-livid troll-wife. On top of this, Hobnob catches himself on a nearby branch, his pack holding him precariously in place near the large female troll.

OOC: Hobnob is the apple of Sauron's Eye.

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
"Troll-wife, troll-wife, make me your sole-wife..." Authiel begins before she realizes the song she was about to sing isn't exactly the right one for the situation. She readies her bow instead.

[sblock=Song 10, Battle 10]Song: 1d12+2d6=10. Battle: 1d12+2d6+10.[/sblock]

[sblock=Authiel]Name: Authiel Silivrenniel Culture: Elf of Mirkwood Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Folk of the Dusk Calling: Warden Shadow weakness: Lure of Power
Specialties: Mirkwood-lore, Woodwright, Shadow-lore
Distinctive features: Hardened, Keen-eyed
Body: 5 Heart: 3 Wits: 6
Body (favoured): 7 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 7
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 2 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 0 AP: 0
  • Athletics: 3 Travel: 1 Stealth: 2 AP: 2
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 0 Search: 1 AP: 1
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 1 Hunting: 1 AP: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 0 AP: 1
  • Craft: 1 Battle: 2 Lore: 3 AP: 2
-Weapon Skills-
  • Bow: 3 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Sword: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
  • Dagger: 1 damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 1
-Virtues-:
-Rewards-: Woodland Bow
-Gear-
  • Mail shirt enc: 12
  • Cap of iron and leather enc: 2
  • Buckler enc: 1
Endurance: 24 Starting Endurance: 25 Fatigue: 19 Hope: 10 Starting Hope: 11 Shadow: 0 Armour: 3 Headgear: 1 Parry: 6 Shield: 1 Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 Wisdom: 1 Valour: 2 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0 [/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=Character Server]
OOC: Character server is not working for me for some reason, can't access my sheet to see my social skills.

I just tried it and it's working. Might have been down temporarily. Or I might just have explained it badly. I was confused about it for a while because the UI's a bit weird. I kept looking for the "login" button, but there isn't one. You just type in the group name ("JoeNotCharles-pbp") and the password ("enworld"), and then click "Your Group's Characters" and it'll load them.

Anyway, Kurin's skills are:

Awe 1, Inspire 2, Persuade 0
Athletics 1, Travel 3, Stealth 1
Awareness 1, Insight 1, Search 3 (shouldn't have let the elf do it...)
Explore 2, Healing 0, Hunting 0
Song 1, Courtesy 0, Riddle 2
Craft 3, Battle 2, Lore 2
[/sblock]

[sblock=Eye of Sauron]
OOC: Hobnob is the apple of Sauron's Eye.

No penalty for Eye of Sauron this time - there's no risk of making things worse by making a Battle roll before combat, it's just a regular failure.

(Wait, did I make Vardolas stuck in the mud last time because of an Eye of Sauron on the battle roll? Or was it a different roll? I probably shouldn't have done that if it was a battle roll. Oh, well, it was dramatic.)
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
OOC: I so don't remember my battle score. I'll roll the d12 first and see if I can find my character sheet.

Riggins goes white again for the second time.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Back again. Sorry for the delay again.[/sblock]

Splashing and hopping through the marsh didn't give Kurin the chance to spot the concealed troll. He jumps back, instinctively searching for higher terrain, while his hands move to his pick. "We not know what yer speaking about troll! We be travellers, that's all, bother us no further if you care for your life!"

[sblock=OOC]The Awe skill can "instill wonderment, admiration, or even fear", so that sounds right for intimidation. You have Awe 1, which I'll roll for you. To oppose it I'll roll the Troll's Hate, which is currently 4. Enemies can spend Hate points to use special abilities in combat, and they also represent its resolve. (When an enemy's Hate goes down to 0, it gets a penalty to all its rolls.)

...roll...

OH MY GAWD! Look at all those 6's!

Ok, Kurin rolled the best he possibly can short of getting a Gandalf rune, including a Tengwar. That would have been a Great Success on a Hard (TN 16) task. But this troll just rolled 3 Tengwars.

Ok, even though you didn't technically succeed, I'm giving you your second AP in Personality for the epic attempt. (Let's say you invoke your Proud trait for that, since a wiser course would have been to try and persuade rather than threaten...) But, nonetheless, its rage overmatched your intimidation.

Since it won the contested roll, it attacks immediately. But I'm also going to give both of you some bonuses for all those Tengwars.

Your single Tengwar turns into a bonus die for the battle. (You enraged it enough to make it reckless which helps you get the jump on it.) You now have 2.

And each of its Tengwars turns into a Hate point. It now has 7.
[/sblock]

The troll looks shocked for a moment that the tiny prey is speaking to it in such a matter. Then it snarls, spraying foul smelling spittle at you, and roars, "Little dwarf! This my swamp! You no travel! You MEAT! Stringy meat and tough, but I crack the bones and suck the marrow! MARROW GOOD!" It lopes towards you, knuckles dragging the ground, and starts sweeping its huge club wildly through the air. You have only moments to react.

Riggins goes white again for the second time.

Riggins, paralyzed with fear, can't find any good ground to receive the troll's charge.

[sblock=OOC]
You have Battle 1, and don't roll high enough to get any bonus dice.

Ok, so here's where it stands: Kurin has 2 bonus dice, which he can spend to add to any of his dice rolls, or give to another character to use immediately (must use them on the next action).

The Trollwife has 3 special characteristics: I'll give you their names but not tell you what they do until they come up. Those are: Great Size, Horrible Strength, and Hatred (Dwarves). (That might explain why it rolled so well against Kurin...)

Since Authiel readied her bow, she can make 1 missile attack (TN 16 - that's 12 base, plus the Troll's parry of 4) before it arrives.

Then, everyone choose a Stance. The stances are:

Forward: TN 6+Parry to hit or be hit; instead of attacking may "Intimidate Foe" - roll Awe or Battle against TN 15 (base 10 plus the Troll's Attribute Level of 5), and on success it loses Hate points
Open: TN 9+Parry to hit or be hit; instead of attacking may "Rally Comrades" - roll Inspire or Song against TN 14, and on success all companions regain Endurance points that were lost during the current combat. On failure, lose a point of Hope.
Defensive: TN 12+Parry to hit or be hit; instead of attacking may "Protect Companion" - if that companion is attacked, may spend a point of Hope to redirect the attack to yourself
Rearward: may only make Ranged attacks (TN 12+Parry to hit); instead of attacking may "Prepare Shot" - next round, if the attack is successful it automatically scores a Piercing Blow

You may only choose a Rearward stance if at least 2 characters are in one of the three close stances to protect you (and if enemies outnumber you 2 to 1, nobody can take a Rearward stance, but that doesn't apply here). So only 1 person can take a Rearward stance here.

Since you are setting yourselves up to receive the troll's charge, all of you can attack first.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Trollwife]
Attribute Level: 5
Endurance: ?
Hate: 7
Parry: 4
Armour: ?

Club: ? (Damage: ?, Edge: ?, Injury: ?)
Crush: ? (Damage: ?, Edge: ?, Injury: ?)

Great Size: ?
Horrible Strength: ?
Hatred (Dwarves): ?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
Riggins shows some fierce determination. He draws his small halfling blade and steps forward, menacing the troll.

OOC: Riggins moves forward into defensive position. I don't want to take up the archers position in Rearward position?

We can attack now, right? Adding roll...

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Bring it down elf! For our forefathers!" Kurin's battlecry is simple but it sinks in the elven maid so strong, so bold. She feels the heat of the dwarven forges rising within her, giving her a resolve even she, huntress of the black wood, had not known to be possible. "Rally with me hobbits, we'll stop this foul creature of darkness!" after that, the dwarf takes a swing at the charging troll

OOC: This combat dynamics are great!I'm enjoying this. Kurin is giving the dice bonus to Authiel and taking a defensive position and attacking.

Remove ads