• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favorite d20 adventure?

Sir Edgar

First Post
I'm shopping for a couple of good adventures and can't figure out what to get. I'm not looking for anything specific or anything that I plan to run, but just good stuff to read and get inspired.

I liked The Vault of Larin Karr by Necromancer Games and so I was thinking about getting The Grey Citadel or The Tomb of Abysthor, but I'm open-minded.

Have any recommendations? Are there any adventures that you feel are "must-haves"? I guess I am asking what do you think are the best d20 adventures out there right now.

Thanks.

shouit

Explorer
Sir Edgar said:

I liked The Vault of Larin Karr by Necromancer Games and so I was thinking about getting The Grey Citadel or The Tomb of Abysthor, but I'm open-minded.

Tomb is good, as is the Rainbow Mage by them. If you are looking for a mega adventure, hard to beat Banewarrens. If you are looking for an intro adventures, hard to beat Freeport stuff.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I don't run a lot of published adventures, but of the ones I've run, the most enjoyable have been Nemoren's Vault from the good folks at Fiery Dragon and Hall of the Rainbow mage from Necromancer.

aurin777

First Post
Banewarrens - Monte is next to Godle
Of Sound Mind - shout out to Mr. Kulp
NeMorin's Vault - Very good into adventure

~~Brandon

Gothmog

First Post
The Grey Citadel is a great, complex plot mystery adventure, with equal parts roleplaying, problem solving, exploring, dungeon crawling, and fighting.

The Freeport modules are also excellent- you can't go wrong there.

Tomb of Abysthor is also good, although I haven't finished reading it yet.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Favorite d20 adventure

Easy.

The Last Dance, writtenby Chris Aylott and published by Atlas Games.

Beautiful, evocative, fun, and demanding.

I love it.

Cheers!

Maggan

Melan

Explorer
I don't have Grey Citadel (yet!), but I have run a Tomb of Abysthor campaign. It is a very packed product - maybe not as much stuff as in Larin Karr, but we played it for about 70 hours total.
It is a well constructed dungeon (small wilderness section is included), offering various different environments and factions which, when played well, can really spice up exploration (some of them will take an active role against PCs, others just keep to themselves unless bothered). There is always something new, and some places are downright scary - a careless party may easily bite it in some spots.
The only weak spot, IMHO, is the level where Abysthor is - it is very linear, as opposed to others where there are several pathways and hidden things. Plus some unfair "gotcha!" traps. But you don't even have to make your players find it.

Hall of the Rainbow Mage is another one I would recommend - it is one storyline, centered on two dungeons. You can run the whole together, but using each place separately is also fine. It isn't as well written as Vault of Larin Karr, but still very good in execution and ideas.

Remove ads