D&D 5E What type of D&D Videogame do you want?

How do you like your D&D videogame of the future?

• First Person Shooter

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Third Person Shooter

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Isometric/Top Down; Real Time

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Isometric/Top Down; Turn Based

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Text

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Other- I will explain in the comments.

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • None. You play D&D on a table, not on a console/PC.

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Poll closed .

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
In my opinion, the Torment/Balder's Gate style of game is perfect for D&D. Make it like that.

Also, make it playable on my old Super Nintendo or failing that, available as an add-on or download to the new Super Nintendo Classic once it comes out.

I occassionally play a bit of Dungeons and Dragons Online, and DDO is just a fine game. I think it does a really good job at translating D&D's 3.5 rules into an MMO. Lots of dungeon crawling, and tweaking your character. Crafting sucks though, but the combat is fun. So that is my golden standard of what a D&D game could be. It manages to nail that feeling of having one player be the Rogue, and search for devious traps, while the other classes follow closely and do their thing. The only thing it really fails at, is storytelling and talky bits, which are bare bones.

The only way you could fit the talky bits in, is perhaps in the way Dragon Age did it. Heck, Dragon Age 1 is basically a modern Baldurs Gate. So that's another good example of what a D&D game could be.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd like a ''Uncharted'' kind of game, but party-based. I think the classic ''dungeon delve'' elements of D&D would mesh well with the exploration/puzzle mix of those games.

manduck

Explorer
This is a tougher decision than I initially thought. I'm going to go with #4-Isometric/Top Down turn based. Your idea about doing a D&D game Diablo style is really cool and interesting. Though the Action RPG tends to rely on assigning powers to a limited number of hotkeys. So it would be really difficult to handle some of the full caster classes. You would end up with a lot of hotkeys assigned and possibly scrambling to find the right spell or ability. It would be awesome for the martial classes though.

Reason I went with #4 is that there are some new and great games that really can pull of that Isometric feel and are really in the spirit of D&D. Two games come to mind, Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin. Both great games that have fun combat and interesting story. The turn based aspects allow for bigger spell lists and more flexibility in combat. You won't get a completely fast paced combat that an ARPG offers, but it's still fun. D&D is a good combat game but it's also fairly complex. I think that's what causes problems when trying to adapt it into a video game. How do you fit those rules, options and complex classes into a more fast paced and visual medium. Some have done it better than others. I have found some great D&D games over the years go. Both the PC and PS2 versions of Baldur's Gate were a blast and both played very differently. The Playstation version of Baldur's Gate was very ARPG, though you did feel those missing options and character selection was limited.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Dragon Age is essentially the direct descendant of Balder's Gate and is my preferred DnD game style.

A game like DA set in Eberron would separate me from my money so quick you'd think it was burning me.

Xeviat

Hero
I'd really like more Baldur's Gate/Temple of Elemental Evil games, games which hew closely to the rules of the game and function turn based (or pause) to some degree. I would also like another NWN style game where you can make your own scenarios to fully perfect the virtual tabletop experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted for the Skyrim/Soulsborne Witcher style play, but I could totally get behind a Hexen-style FPS version.

What I don’t want in a D&D videogame (and most games, really) is to have to manage an adventuring party. Unless it’s kept pretty simple, like Fire Emblem: Awakening, I just lose interest in managing an entire group in a game. I much prefer to have one single focal point when I play.

Remove ads