D&D 5E What type of D&D Videogame do you want?

How do you like your D&D videogame of the future?

• First Person Shooter

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Third Person Shooter

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Isometric/Top Down; Real Time

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Isometric/Top Down; Turn Based

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Text

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Other- I will explain in the comments.

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • None. You play D&D on a table, not on a console/PC.

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Poll closed .

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I'd be OK with something open-world like Skyrim/Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3. Even an engine like Elder Scrolls Online would be OK. If it was set in Greyhawk or Planescape, that would be even better.

I would give a Isometric game a try, but apart from the new Shadowrun games, I haven't really been able to get back into them.

gyor

Legend
For what it's worth, I would love to see a good D&D game that's similar to Diablo (isometric, real-time).

Less emphasis on grinding, more on quests, plots, but still.

I know that it gets away from the turn-based mechanics of the board game, but when you're moving from one medium to another, you need to take advantage of that medium's strengths.

This kind of thinking is what has lead to the spat of disasterous D&D games that have come out.

You need to be as true to the D&D experience as the tech will allow.

gyor

Legend
I'd like a turned based or mixed turn based/Real time based RPG (like BG), or a turned based stradgedy game like AoWIII for D&D set in Forgotten Realms (such as the Old Empires region or the Lands of Intrigue).

Sacrosanct

Legend
No option for 1st person, turn based. Oh well. So I voted isometric turn based. IMO, going away from turn based no longer feels like D&D. That's literally the core chassis the game is built on. To make it real time, you have to completely change the action economy and how all classic abilities/spells work (adding countdown timers, etc). Barf. There are a million games like that. If I'm playing a D&D video game, I want it to feel like D&D.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Could you provide an example / sample of what you're thinking of when you write this? AFAIK, pretty much all first-person perspective games now are real time.

Like the old Eye of the Beholder games

eyeofthebeholder-02.png

Edit* granted, with modern technology, you'd probably have real time for first person exploration, but when combat starts, it goes to turn based like that game.

Last edited:

Irda Ranger

First Post
I voted "Other". I think D&D is really best played at a table, and that no CRPG (even Baldur's Gate) really captures the same feel for me.

But I'd like to see an Age of Empires in an explicitly D&D world. The old Warcraft games were close to that, before them became WoW MMOs. I like "Master of Magic" from the days of yore.

A fun mix of those styles might be playing a powerful 20th level character with a domain that develops resources, recruits allies, and sends teams of low-level adventurers to scout monstrous areas, and you can wade into the fight yourself and kick ass occasionally when warranted.

Yaarel

He Mage
The poll probably should have allowed multiple options.

This would allow choosing things like first person with or without live action. As well as several tolerable options.

Remove ads