What Is an Experience Point Worth?

It seems like a simple question, but the way you answer it may, in effect, determine the metaphysics of your game. Many RPGs use some sort of "experience point" system to model growth and learning. The progenitor of this idea is, of course, Dungeons & Dragons; the Experience Point (XP) system has been a core feature of the game from the beginning.

Yet what exactly an experience point is remains unclear.

Think about it: can anyone earn an XP under the right circumstances? Or must one possess a class? If so, what qualifies an individual for a class? The 1st-edition Dungeon Master’s Guide specifies that henchmen earn 50 percent of the group’s XP award. In other words, they get a full share awarded, but then only "collect" half the share. Where does the other half go? Did it ever exist in the first place?

These esoteric questions were highlighted for me recently when I recreated a 20-year-old D&D character from memory for a new campaign I’m playing in. All I could remember of this character from my high school days was her race and class (half-elf Bladesinger, because I liked the cheese, apparently) and that the campaign fizzled out after only a handful of sessions. If I made it to level 2 back then, I couldn’t rightly say.

I asked my Dungeon Master (DM)—the same fellow who had run the original game for me back in the days of the Clinton administration—whether I could start a level ahead, or at least with a randomly-determined amount of XP (say, 200+2D100). Being the stern taskmaster that he is, he shot down both suggestions, saying instead that I’d be starting at 0 XP and at level 1, just like the rest of the party. As justification, he said that my character had amassed 0 XP for this campaign.

As the character probably only had a few hundred XP to her name to begin with, I let the matter slide. But it did get me thinking: do Experience Points only exist within the context of individual campaigns? Was my DM onto something?

This sort of thinking can in turn lead down quite a rabbit hole. Are classes themselves an arbitrary construct? Do they exist solely for players, or are non-player characters (NPCs) also capable of possessing classes and levels? Different editions of D&D have presented different interpretations of this question, from essentially statting up all NPCs as monsters, with their own boutique abilities (as in the earliest iterations of the game), to granting NPCs levels in "non-adventuring classes" (the famous 20th-level Commoner of 3rd-edition days).

The current edition of D&D has come back around to limiting classes and XP awards to player-characters only—which brings us back to our original question: are Experience Points, like character classes, meant to function solely as an abstract game mechanic, or are they an objective force within the game world? How do you, the reader at home, treat XP in your campaigns?

contributed by David Larkins

I look at the class as the engine of growth and the experience points as the fuel of growth. No class, no making use of XP, no growth. Of course, I like NPC classes...

Experience Points measure the experiences of the character. There's nothing magical, meta-physical, or meta-gaming about it.

The only excuse for not awarding XP to an NPC is because you know that the NPC will never accumulate enough to gain any benefit from it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
To me, classes are mere mechanical constructs. They inform the setting by providing features that will affect the setting, but they are not part of it. In-game, there is no Fighter - the class. These is "fighter", a word that can be used to describe people, like that NPC gardsman, or that PC (regardless of his class), etc.

With classes and all of the paraphenalia that hang off it not an in-game item, neither can be levels nor XP. To be sure, there are some people more experienced than others. But that grizzled knight can be more experienced than your Fighter even though XP isn't used to describe them.

But even if I build an NPC (or all NPCs liek in 3.x edition) using classes, that's just a mechanical shorthand of balance, not something in-game. Can an NPC possess a class is a backwards question. Classes aren't something that one can possess, and more than one can possess the equation f=ma (force=mass times acceleration) even though physics applies to your body. Can an NPC be described by a class mechancially out of game? Sure, but they don't have to.

The "0 for this campaign" is interesting. I've seen games where players kept favorite characters and brought them, full of XP and items, into another DM's campaign. And I've seen players rebuild favorite characters in new campaigns (and even different systems) to play again, starting from the beginning. I've also seen newly created charactrers, both with 0 XP and starting above that.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
As the character probably only had a few hundred XP to her name to begin with, I let the matter slide. But it did get me thinking: do Experience Points only exist within the context of individual campaigns? Was my DM onto something?

XP only exist in your mind. The game works a lot better when everyone at the table is imagining the same XP values in their minds. Beyond that constraint, though, XP can be anything your table wants.

In practice, I find it best to view XP as a pacing mechanic: they let you know when it would be fun to level up. In this sense, if you think it would be fun for henchmen to level up, then sure, award them XP. As another example, it sounds like your DM doesn't think it would be fun for your character to level up sooner than everyone else just because you are re-creating a character from 20 years ago.

XP has a strong secondary use as an incentive: if the DM wants the PCs to engage in some fun activity, make it worth XP, and players will pursue that activity.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
In practice, I find it best to view XP as a pacing mechanic . . .
XP has a strong secondary use as an incentive: if the DM wants the PCs to engage in some fun activity, make it worth XP, and players will pursue that activity.

Nice recovery. I would have said that XP have, at best, a flimsy relationship with when characters -should- level up. But they are decidedly well-suited to act as incentives.

are Experience Points, like character classes, meant to function solely as an abstract game mechanic, or are they an objective force within the game world? How do you, the reader at home, treat XP in your campaigns?
I was actually very happy to see XP appear as a sort of currency in 3E, but that divorces them a bit from representing -experience-. Unless there's some sort of amnesia involved?

I'd rather award levels than XP, and those make for much better rewards than incentives. So, I mostly use XP to sprinkle across tavern floors to replace the old, dirty XP that were down there before.

To me, classes are mere mechanical constructs. They inform the setting by providing features that will affect the setting, but they are not part of it. In-game, there is no Fighter - the class. These is "fighter", a word that can be used to descry ibe people, like that NPC gardsman, or that PC (regardless of his class), etc.

If the classes were more generic I could agree with that, but some have very specific class based abilities. Only a Wizard has the same skill in memorizing magic spells and using a certain range of spells. There are other magic using classes but they all differ in technique, range of spells available (not the distance at which you cast a spell), and other abilities. That speaks to a difference in training / methodology... in essence a different class. In game they might have 1 or 5 or 10 names for it, but they all have certain training / techniques in common. Hence, a "class".

With the choice of Archetypes at 3rd level classes differentiate members from others. Even the Fighter changes in abilities. This could be dressed up in a number of ways. It could reflect differing experiences along the way or different interests. Or it could be specific training. But somewhere along the way all characters of the same class had a lot in common.

With classes and all of the paraphenalia that hang off it not an in-game item, neither can be levels nor XP. To be sure, there are some people more experienced than others. But that grizzled knight can be more experienced than your Fighter even though XP isn't used to describe them.

I agree, levels and XP are just measures of something less measurable "in world".

But even if I build an NPC (or all NPCs liek in 3.x edition) using classes, that's just a mechanical shorthand of balance, not something in-game. Can an NPC possess a class is a backwards question. Classes aren't something that one can possess, and more than one can possess the equation f=ma (force=mass times acceleration) even though physics applies to your body. Can an NPC be described by a class mechancially out of game? Sure, but they don't have to.

That shorthand is useful in describing a group of people with similar skills and training, and setting up a ladder of increasing skill / experience for them. That's why I liked the NPC classes. It saves the trouble of building every NPC, or type of NPC, from scratch.

The "0 for this campaign" is interesting. I've seen games where players kept favorite characters and brought them, full of XP and items, into another DM's campaign. And I've seen players rebuild favorite characters in new campaigns (and even different systems) to play again, starting from the beginning. I've also seen newly created charactrers, both with 0 XP and starting above that.

Same here.

I think you could build your world with classes as a specific known in game thing (i.e. a Knight archetype for Fighters that is common to the feudal gentry of a world) or not. That's a matter of preference. Some people like tinkering with the mechanics, some with the fluff, and some both.

Last edited by a moderator:

y'know I was pretty sure it was 1 xp per silver piece found as treasure, so....

That was 1 XP per gold piece. Trying to start some old school experience inflation? :)

Oddly enough though, I use the silver piece as the standard coinage, not gold. I like to keep gold a bit rarer than common in D&D.

XP is, of course, an abstraction. It's why I always preferred earning Credits as happens in Traveller, as they have a more defined economic value.

In the case of D&D, it's less a case of how much an XP is worth, but more a question of how fast a rate do you want characters to gain levels?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases