Amulet of the planes?

Willthechased

First Post
In the description of above-mentioned magic item it does not state how many times per day the wearer can use 'plane shift'. Nor does it state anywhere that the user cannot use it on anyone other than just the user himself. Am I to understand that the user of the amulet can use it any number of times per day either on himself, on eight willing creatures or against a foe as an attack??? For the price of 120,000gp I'm holding out hope for more than just a 'user only' device.
Thanks in advance for your advice!!
-W-

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Willthechased said:
In the description of above-mentioned magic item it does not state how many times per day the wearer can use 'plane shift'. Nor does it state anywhere that the user cannot use it on anyone other than just the user himself. Am I to understand that the user of the amulet can use it any number of times per day either on himself, on eight willing creatures or against a foe as an attack??? For the price of 120,000gp I'm holding out hope for more than just a 'user only' device.
-W-

Full use of the spell, unlimited times per day.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Willthechased said:
-W-

Dude, it costs 120,000 gp for crying out loud. You can't pinpoint locations with it, so plane shifting won't be incredibly accurate, and as an aattack, at most, the DC for such a thing would only be 17, and considering you paid more for it than you would for a +7 weapon, go ahead and try it.

Nail

First Post
Let's try the simplified pricing formula.

Plane shift is a Clr 5 or Sor/Wiz 7 spell. The magic item description says the caster level is 15.

So the price would be: 5 (Clr spell level) * 15 (caster level) * 1800gp (Command word, unlimited castings) = 135,000 gp.

Actual price given in the DMG = 120,000 gp.

Seems like the price is just about exactly where it should be. (Especially given the DC 15 Int check to get it to work correctly!) :]

Nail

First Post
Not that this is a "hot topic" or anything, but:

I had forgotten that there is a unique material component involved in the spell plane shift => namely, a "tuning fork" tuned to the specific plane. Given that, the creation of the magic item could conceivably reuire one tuning fork per plane...and since the amulet can go to any plane....well, that's alot of tuning forks. :)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Nail said:

I had forgotten that there is a unique material component involved in the spell plane shift => namely, a "tuning fork" tuned to the specific plane. Given that, the creation of the magic item could conceivably reuire one tuning fork per plane...and since the amulet can go to any plane....well, that's alot of tuning forks. :)

Maybe it's an adjustable wrench, as opposed to the socket set... ;)

ARandomGod

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
Dude, it costs 120,000 gp for crying out loud. You can't pinpoint locations with it, so plane shifting won't be incredibly accurate, and as an aattack, at most, the DC for such a thing would only be 17, and considering you paid more for it than you would for a +7 weapon, go ahead and try it.

Actually, at most the DC would be 20, as a wizard would have to have at least a 17 INT to cast the spell. So a wizard's minimum would be 20 there... Assuming it's an arcane spell.

Assuming you have a difference in your game, that is.

As a divine item, of course, it'd be DC 15.

Nail

First Post
Let's get this posted:

Amulet of the Planes from the SRD said:
Amulet of the Planes: This device usually appears to be a black circular amulet, although any character looking closely at it sees a dark, moving swirl of color. The amulet allows its wearer to utilize plane shift. However, this is a difficult item to master. The user must make a DC 15 Intelligence check in order to get the amulet to take her to the plane (and the specific location on that plane) that she wants. If she fails, the amulet transports her and all those traveling with her to a random location on that plane (01–60 on d%) or to a random plane (61–100).

Strong conjuration; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item, plane shift; Price 120,000 gp.
A strict reading of the text (see stuff in yellow) would be that the wearer does not cast Plane Shift, but rather the wearer (and the wearer only) can use the amulet to Plane shift.

Even if you think that's a load of crap, (what does "utilize" mean, anyway? :) ) you still must admit the DC for Plane Shifting someone else does not change depending on the wearer. Since the default assumes the lowest level caster possible for the requisite spell (Clr 9, for 5th level spell), the Will save DC for Plane Shifting someone else would be (10+5+2) 17. And that's a melee touch attack, I might add.

If you assume a Wizard made it, then the Will DC is (10+7+3) 20. No "minimum" there, ARandomGod.

Last edited:

ARandomGod

First Post
Nail said:
If you assume a Wizard made it, then the Will DC is (10+7+3) 20. No "minimum" there, ARandomGod.

Heheh. Well, I meant a minimum that was the same as a maxumim... Hey, that could exist.

Of course, for that price you're talking about the one in the DMG, which does say that a 15th level caster made it, and there is that default rule that you should assume the minimum level of caster class made it.

Of course, if I need to defend minimum ANYway... I could have it made by either class and imbue it with heighten spell to a ninth level spell.

It would cost a lot more, of course, and still wouldn't be worth it.

cmanos

First Post
Nail said:

I had forgotten that there is a unique material component involved in the spell plane shift => namely, a "tuning fork" tuned to the specific plane. QUOTE]

And I would assume that tuning the fork would require travelling to the plane first to get it tuned properly....

Remove ads