Is this gaming product too offensive or merely funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryonD

Hero
I'm not sure that offensive and funny are mutally exclusive. I am quite certain that it is highly possible that this product doesn't really cut it as either.

And I can think of better reasons to not buy Mongoose stuff.

Afrodyte

Explorer
I remember reading the Slayers' Guide to Female Gamers in the FLGS, and while it was not side-splittingly funny, I got a few good chuckles out of it. The amusing part was not the stereotypes, but the attitudes which create, promote, and perpetuate such stereotypes. I saw it as a dig at the beliefs and attitudes that socially maladjusted male gamers tend to have toward women (and female gamers in particular). I thought it was pretty sharp in that regard.

GRIMJIM

First Post
Afrodyte said:
I remember reading the Slayers' Guide to Female Gamers in the FLGS, and while it was not side-splittingly funny, I got a few good chuckles out of it. The amusing part was not the stereotypes, but the attitudes which create, promote, and perpetuate such stereotypes. I saw it as a dig at the beliefs and attitudes that socially maladjusted male gamers tend to have toward women (and female gamers in particular). I thought it was pretty sharp in that regard.

See!?! You get it!

Huzzah!

*Choirs of angels, 21 gun salute*

Thank you :)

Elwood

First Post
Is this posted on any OTHER forums I need to go to, to defend my work?
Too late for the Wizard's one since the thread was locked, but it'd be nice to know...

I believe there is a thread discussing this on RPG.net.

Emiricol

It's meant to be funny. My feeling is that you are taking it too seriously when you say you are not buying stuff from the company anymore. The product, which my wife bought me as a gag gift (I hope!!!) seems to be almost more a satire of male gamers and their views of female gamers than it does of female gamers themselves. I may be reading too much into it, but either way I think your reaction is a bit strong for the crime.

Honestly, it doesn't seem to me that the goal was to lose customers and upset people. It's not super funny, but it's meant to be amusing I am sure. Still, if it is really something that bothers you that much, by all means vote with your pocketbook.

-Emiricol

Particle_Man said:
A thread at WOTC messageboards describes a Web Enhancement for Mongoose's "Slayer's Guide to Female Gamers" that I personally think crosses the line. To the point that I have written Mongoose and told them so, and that I won't buy stuff from them.

I have been called overly politically correct on that thread. I was wondering what you guys thought. In their defence, it was intended to be humourous.

Here is the link to the thread discussing this:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=6083464#post6083464

Here is the relevant pdf web enhancement

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/female_gamers_web_enhancement.pdf

And here is someone you can write to about it:

sales@mongoosepublishing.com

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I think it's lame, but not hugely offensive. Kinda bad PR move, though, it looks like.

EDIT: Here, when I say lame, I am referring only to the 3 PrCs in the web enhancement.

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
Oh no - don't get me wrong, Jim. I didn't think it was a bad product in anyway. Just liek I wouldn't buy Munchkin D20 for its use in my normal game, so too did I not pick up your product, assuming that I was going introduce the "female gamer" as a recurring campaign villain. It fulfilled your apparent purchase well, and I certainly think that in the tiny niche of D&D related humor products, yours is among the best. But let's face it - it's a TINY niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads