Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Suldulin said:
Indeed, few in number are the things that could give me greater pleasure than holding a physical copy of the tales of wyre. Blackdirge being published brings some new hope to such becoming reality.

I think the publication of my story hour has placed me firmly in the role of guinea pig (perfectly willing, of course), and if the books sell well, then I expect you will see other story hours given the same treatment. If more story hours are published, then great tales like Sep's, Destan's, Sagiro's, and Shemeska's, just to name a few, would undoubtedly be tops on the list for publication.

BD

rantipole

First Post
This is the first time I've checked this thread in months. I miss it, and I'm trying to be hopeful, but it's difficult. I hope it continues. *Sigh*

Cheers,
rant

Justin

Explorer
I was just re-reading the last update (12/28/06!) and this caught my eye:

Ortwine's invisible form flashed through the demagicked area.... Iua also stood there.

Even as Ortwine's scimitar found its mark, Iua had leapt the distance between them and was about her in a fury, stabbing with uncanny speed.

Ortwine glanced toward Iua and caught her eye for a split second, hypnotizing her.

Can Iua, being half-air elemental IIRC, see invisible? And if not, I'd think Ortwine couldn't hypnotize someone who couldn't see her.

And while on the subject, if you can see something or someone that is invisible, do you know it is invisible?

grodog

Hero
Justin said:
Can Iua, being half-air elemental IIRC, see invisible? And if not, I'd think Ortwine couldn't hypnotize someone who couldn't see her.

I tend to agree with that, assuming that hypnosis requires eye contact.

Justin said:
And while on the subject, if you can see something or someone that is invisible, do you know it is invisible?

I tend to think that someone who can see invisible by virtue of being high level/high int (in AD&D terms), with detect invisibility going or true seeing, etc. would know that someone was trying to be invisible and failing; whereas, someone with a very high intelligence score (who, in AD&D terms, is immune to illusions), may not necessarily know that someone was invisible. Interesting question....

And *bump*!

Justin said:
The see invisibility spell explicitly states that you can distinguish between visible and invisible things. So yes, if you're using or mimicking that spell.

Justin

Explorer
Joshua Randall said:
The see invisibility spell explicitly states that you can distinguish between visible and invisible things. So yes, if you're using or mimicking that spell.

Excellent point! However, after having read the spell (I should have thought of doing that in the first place), the wording takes me back to my original question. From the spell description:

Such creatures are visible to you as translucent shapes, allowing you easily to discern the difference between visible, invisible, and ethereal creatures.

And from Sep's sidhe description:

...a sidhe may attempt to hypnotize (as the first level sorcerer/wizard spell) a single target within 30 ft. by meeting its gaze.

Wouldn't only seeing a "translucent shape" prevent such gaze attacks, including that of a medusa for example?

EDIT: Hrm, on the other hand, Ortwine is probably a weeee bit more powerful than Iua. Perhaps O's invisibility isn't "standard"?

Greybar

No Trouble at All
This also comes down to basic questions like: does it make sense for a 2nd level spell to foil a 35th level character?

Remove ads