Potion of Invisibility

AbeTheGnome

First Post
What's the caster level for a potion? Is it the minimum caster level required to cast the spell? Some spells are available to different classes at different levels. Which class determines minimum caster level for, say, a potion of invisibility. The crux of my dilemma is how long will my character stay invisible after drinking a potion of invisibility?

seans23

First Post
AbeTheGnome said:
What's the caster level for a potion? Is it the minimum caster level required to cast the spell? Some spells are available to different classes at different levels. Which class determines minimum caster level for, say, a potion of invisibility. The crux of my dilemma is how long will my character stay invisible after drinking a potion of invisibility?

Minimum caster level required, unless otherwise specified.
Invisibility is a 2nd level spell for Bards, sorcerors, wizards, and clerics with the trickery domain, so you can assume that you'll be invisible for 3 minutes, unless you specifically hired a bard to brew your potions, in which case it'd be 4 minutes, and would cost 400gp instead of 300gp. Also, since the bard never gets out these days, and is busy brewing potions, you'll probably be forced to listen to some bad ballads about wasting time in the lab.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
The prices in the DMg assume a Cleric or Wizard makes it. If a sorceror makes it, be sure to make it more expensive, but also last longer. If you go with some wonky prestige classes with really low CLs or spells of wildly different spell levels, then I would be careful.

Dross

Explorer
EyeontheMountain said:
The prices in the DMg assume a Cleric or Wizard makes it. If a sorceror makes it, be sure to make it more expensive, but also last longer. If you go with some wonky prestige classes with really low CLs or spells of wildly different spell levels, then I would be careful.

I thought the rule was: Whoever makes it the cheapest.

Granted this probably means a Cleric or Wizard in all but a few cases.

Dross

Explorer
Sithobi1 said:
Well, Lesser Restoration, for example...Paladin level 1 4, CL 2...

Paly's don't have a caster level until 4th level, then it's 1/2 class level.

Last edited:

Len

Prodigal Member
EyeontheMountain said:
The prices in the DMg assume a Cleric or Wizard makes it.
Dross said:
I thought the rule was: Whoever makes it the cheapest.
Actually, it's both:
SRD said:
An item is only worth two times what the caster of lowest possible level can make it for. Calculate the market price based on the lowest possible level caster, no matter who makes the item.
and just below that,
SRD said:
The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it.
(see also DMG p. 282)

The DMG lists prices for various items created by various classes, if you happen to know who actually created it.

Remove ads