Helm of Opposite Alignment, Efreeti, and You

Herobizkit

Adventurer
So, CG Drow Sorcerer/Favored Soul of Eilistraee defeats and forces a LE Efreet into a service of 1001 days (which I found funny, since CG's are all about freedom). She plans to create a Helm of Opposite Alignment and command the Efreet to wear it. If it fails its saving throw, it immediately becomes CG and loves being CG forever; if not, the Helm can be safely removed and tried again with no adverse effects.

So...

What would YOU do as the player and/or the GM?

Personally, I think it's hilarious; the campaign as is is pretty much a cartoon.

Last edited:

Slife

First Post
blargney the second said:
If I were the player I'd do everything I could to lower its saves. :)
Why?

Helm goes on, helm comes off, helm goes on, helm comes off, helm goes on, helm comes off, helm goes on, helm comes off, helm goes on, helm comes off, helm goes on, helm comes off, helm goes on, helm comes off, helm goes on, helm comes off, helm goes on, rolled a 1.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
"I feel different. You want me to do what? hahahahaha!
No, I'm off to start a rebellion in the city of brass.
Serving mortals is obviously an artifact of the oppressive and unjust system."
*poof*

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Evilhalfling said:
"I feel different. You want me to do what? hahahahaha!
No, I'm off to start a rebellion in the city of brass.
Serving mortals is obviously an artifact of the oppressive and unjust system."
*poof*
If I were Chaotic Good, I'd consider this an excellent result. :)

Cheers, -- N

Squire James

First Post
Well, I normally consider items like Helm of Opposite Alignment to be the result of someone making some drastic mistake when trying to create a magic item. Thus, it would be difficult to actually reproduce the steps necessary to actually make one on purpose.

That being said, I'd let it happen. I'd even let the Chaotic Good efreet grant wishes! Unfortunately, the wishes are really granted by the diabolic powers of Lawful Evil, and THEY decide how to fulfill them (perhaps allowing some insane DC Wisdom check to make an absolutely ironclad wish... failure means the character screwed something up even if the player didn't)! The diabolic powers are probably most interested in corrupting the priestess... given her current actions she's already part of the way there!

If the player or efreet perceives this fact and avoids using the wishes, then the servitude is no great imbalance of power (the efreet will probably get killed in the next encounter anyway). None of the other powers strike me as being as abusable as, say, a Lyre of Building.

Slife

First Post
I suppose you could also rule that changing alignment also changes what type of genie he is. A Djinn or Janni would be less unbalancing.

jensun

First Post
Why would it be unbalancing?

There is no indication after the Helm works that the Efreeti is forced to continue to serve the character. If anything I would imagine that they are even more appalled at the treatment by the original PC and would do anything in their power to seek revenge. Just because the Efreeti is now CG doesnt necessarily make him a nice guy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases