Sun Rods are awesome!

Particle_Man

Explorer
Just look at their light radius compared to other light sources!

Wow! I am in awe. They really are SUN-rods. Radius 20 squares of bright light. The nearest competition is lantern for 10 square radius. My Wizard's light cantrip a paltry 4 square radius and I have to keep that within 5 squares of me.

Go Sun Rods! :cool:

Klaus

First Post
Just look at their light radius compared to other light sources!

Wow! I am in awe. They really are SUN-rods. Radius 20 squares of bright light. The nearest competition is lantern for 10 square radius. My Wizard's light cantrip a paltry 4 square radius and I have to keep that within 5 squares of me.

Go Sun Rods! :cool:
Of course, carrying a light source = autofail Stealth.

cangrejoide

First Post
I went in the other direction, I banned sunrods in my game.

Why?

They seemed cheezy and out of place. And having a smaller light radius is very good to set the tension in a dungeon crawl.

Byronic

First Post

Why?

They seemed cheezy and out of place. And having a smaller light radius is very good to set the tension in a dungeon crawl.

Ditto. Especially to limit magical items.

"This world doesn't have as much magic as it used to, it is fading through the centuries to only a fraction of its former power. Oh, you wanted to know where they were having the sale on sunrods? Well, take your second left..."

Limiting magical items doesn't work very well when you can buy them in bulk at the supermarket.

Why?

For once I must agree with this orange dinosaur. Sunrods aren't awesome, they're completely lame, imho. They're so incredibly effective (and relatively light and cheap) that it's like everywhere your party goes is in bright illumination all the time if they're not actively trying to be stealthy. They also make all the other light sources seem pretty pointless. I like it when adventurers carried actual torches and laterns. I know, I know, we're supposed to "LIE BACK AND FEEL THE RAAAAWK!" with 4E, but guys, come on, this and Waybread can piss right off. Sunrods don't even make any sense, because to realistically illuminate 100' well, they'd have to be so incredibly bright that they'd be utterly blinding to the people near them.

Remove ads