"Can my spouse play for an evening?"

fba827

Adventurer
Good advice here. Being plopped into the middle of an ongoing campaign as a first session wouldn't be a great first experience. Run an unconnected simple adventure that she can participate in and, more importantly, the other players don't have vastly more background information on. If the adventure/background is new to everyone then she will feel less like the only person in the group that doesn't know whats going on. If she enjoys the game and wants to join the campaign then you can get her up to speed before the next session. If doesn't want to play again then the campaign continues without inconsistency. It's a win-win situation.

a good point in there -- if you are able and willing to run a one-shot type session which will be new for everyone (maybe with all 1st level pcs to minimize the amount of stuff that can go on) then go for it.

or else find an excuse to have a self-contained side-trek adventure.

or let her in on the main plot, but as you pointed out in the OP, there will be a bit extra pausing here and there to explain background story for each point.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
If a spouse wants to play, let them.

Some guidelines however:
Play a fun one shot adventure so the main campaign isn't disrupted while she decides if she likes the game.

< snip >

For the love of Bahamut and Bacon, do not let anyone at the table dictate to her what to do for her turn. The DM should ask her "What would you like to do?" and then offer a couple of ideas . . .
I can almost see the love of Bahamut in there, as he's important in D&D -- but (for my own information) what does Bacon have to do with it (attempting to ignore the alignment issue almost entirely)?

Wik

First Post
While I like the idea of a side game, it can be a sort of bad way to introduce a player - "Okay, guys, I know we all want to see what happens in the dungeons of awesomesauce, but Jim's wife here - SASHA - wants to play. And it'd be hard to introduce her into the plot, so you're all first level. *sigh* "

What I'd suggest instead is working "sasha" into the current plot as a side character. After all, presumably if Sasha likes the game, she's gonna need to figure out your plot anyways, so may as well get her hooked on your crazy plot now.

Just make up a companion character, or an equivalent to edition version - something easy to run, at a comparable power level to everyone else. Be prepared for a slower game, but the big point is to just let her watch the game dynamic. I'd steer away from making her the focus of the game - a lot of people feel "stupid" when the focus is on them and they don't know what to do. It's better to just let the player be a fly on the wall, able to participate when they're comfortable enough to do so.

The goal is to get the feet wet, and take it from there. And if they don't want to play next time around, don't take it personally... just kill of Sasha's character next time around. :)

At our table, every player's SO has a standing invitation at our table. It doesn't come up often, but when it does, we're ready for it.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I can almost see the love of Bahamut in there, as he's important in D&D -- but (for my own information) what does Bacon have to do with it (attempting to ignore the alignment issue almost entirely)?

In games I play in and run for lfr, there were no pigs on Aebir. When Dragonborn made the hop to Toril, they discovered the most wonderful of meats and have adapted it as an important cultural staple in their diet... or so I try to convince everyone ;)

My paladin of Bahamut has a battle standard of healing I made from a paper clip and a tiny print out of clip-art strips of bacon as the banner.

Also, Bacon can smooth out just about any botched diplomacy roll, in game and out ;)

As a further note, Dragonborn note that Elf tastes nothing like bacon... more like spam...

tuxgeo

Adventurer
In games I play in and run for LFR, there were no pigs on Aebir. When Dragonborn made the hop to Toril, they discovered the most wonderful of meats and have adapted it as an important cultural staple in their diet... or so I try to convince everyone ;)

My paladin of Bahamut has a battle standard of healing I made from a paper clip and a tiny print out of clip-art strips of bacon as the banner.

Also, Bacon can smooth out just about any botched diplomacy roll, in game and out ;)

As a further note, Dragonborn note that Elf tastes nothing like bacon... more like spam...
Ah -- so, not Sir Francis Bacon, then . . . I had wondered about the capitalization of the word.
Emeril said:
Pork Fat Rules!
But wouldn't an Elf taste more like a sh-elf -- approximately "flesh" spelled backward?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
We had this situation about 9 months ago. One player's girlfriend expressed an interest in this DnD thingy he spent so much time playing. So she asked to sit in on a session, just to watch. We said sure thing.

She watched us play. Laughed at all the stupid things we did and stupid jokes we told then asked if she could join in and play next time. We now have a 5th player in our group. 5 and 1/2 if you count the new rug rat.

And the whole thing works great, even with Mum and Dad having to take turns looking after the little one. Sometimes one or even both have to go out of the rooom in the middle of a big combat, but that's cool. The rest of us realise that if we want these guys in our group, and we do, then we just chill out and accept it.

Its a group social activity, it's all about the give and take. And this new player is a friend of a friend, so to me this makes it a no brainer. Let her play. Ya never know, you may wind up with a new friend.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Be flexible with her knowledge of the rules - not to the extent of ignoring them, but rather than expecting her to arrange her turn in minor-move-standard actions, let her just tell you her plan of action, then you can tell her how much of it she can get done this turn.

Tell her beforehand that she knows several ways to attack - some are well-practiced and she can do them every turn, others are tricky or tiring and she can only use them once per battle or once per day. Then when she attacks, you can just ask her "Do you want to use a big attack here, or save it for later?" If she wants to use a major power, you can probably pick the most appropriate one to use (unless she's gotten that far in her understanding of the game) and then help her to describe it.

Remove ads