D&D 5E Easter Eggs in 5E

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
In the 5E Monster Manual, the boxed text on page 78 (Spined Devil) says:

Fly, my pretties, fly! FLY! --Fierna, Archduchess of Phlegethos, commanding her spined devil legions.

This is a reference to the Wicked Witch commanding her flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz.

Have you found any other easter eggs in 5E?

the Jester

Legend
There are tons of inside-D&D Easter eggs all over the place, of course.

I seem to recall spotting one or two others that amused me, but I can't recall off the top of my head- actually, I think there might be an actual flying monkey reference somewhere. But I could be misremembering and conflating the reference in something else with 5e.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know if, "cultural reference in plain sight," really counts as an Easter Egg.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I don't know if, "cultural reference in plain sight," really counts as an Easter Egg.
What else would you call it? It isn't completely obvious, being as it is ostensibly a reference to Fierna and spined devils instead of the Wicked Witch and flying monkeys.

Definition: An Easter egg is an intentional inside joke, hidden message, or feature in a work such as a computer program, video game, movie, book, or crossword.

Voort

Explorer
PHB, page 104, Wild Magic Surge table. Roll a 42 and you turn into a potted plant, straight out of The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What else would you call it? It isn't completely obvious...

I'd call it a blatantly obvious cultural reference. As if anyone looking at that text won't get it? It isn't like the text is hidden, or anything.

Definition: An Easter egg is an intentional inside joke, hidden message, or feature in a work such as a computer program, video game, movie, book, or crossword.

Note that he iconic Easter Egg is *hidden*. The name comes from the idea of the Easter egg hunt. "In computer software, Easter eggs are secret responses that occur in response to an undocumented set of commands. " On DVDs, they typically call for button presses nobody would be expected to make normally. In movies and other media, (say, Disney's "hidden Mickeys"), they are at least subtle, or flash by so quickly (Captain America's shield in arctic ice in the Hulk movie) that nobody'll notice them in standard viewing.

If it is sitting there, in plain text that you're expected to read, it is a geeky cultural reference, not an Easter Egg. Easter Eggs call for some artistry to keep them from being immediately noticed.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'd call it a blatantly obvious cultural reference. As if anyone looking at that text won't get it? It isn't like the text is hidden, or anything.

Note that he iconic Easter Egg is *hidden*. The name comes from the idea of the Easter egg hunt. "In computer software, Easter eggs are secret responses that occur in response to an undocumented set of commands. " On DVDs, they typically call for button presses nobody would be expected to make normally. In movies and other media, (say, Disney's "hidden Mickeys"), they are at least subtle, or flash by so quickly (Captain America's shield in arctic ice in the Hulk movie) that nobody'll notice them in standard viewing.

If it is sitting there, in plain text that you're expected to read, it is a geeky cultural reference, not an Easter Egg. Easter Eggs call for some artistry to keep them from being immediately noticed.
I'd just like to remind you that instead of joining in on the fun, you are arguing over terminology. Which is no fun at all.

Are you sure this is what you want?

Remove ads