D&D 5E Easter Eggs in 5E

ccooke

Adventurer
The DMG has a tavern name generation table on page 113. Two columns, roll d20 twice and read once from each column.

Row 5: "The Prancing", "Pony"
Row 15: "The Lonely", "Mountain"

eryndel

Explorer
Sorry for the little bit of thread necromancy, but I'm just getting around to reading my DMG. Anyone else notice that, in the table of monsters by environment, the Tarrasque is listed as a CR 30 Urban encounter. I have a feeling this is an homage to this epic thread.

Lackhand

First Post
I was thinking it was for Godzilla :)

The staff of healing illustration in the DMG is a totem pole of grimacing faces.
I can't shake the feeling it's supposed to be a physical 1-10 pain scale.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
The other reference to flying monkeys is the intro to "creating custom monsters" in the DMG. (And I consider Fierna's quote an easter-egg despite being an obvious pop-culture reference, because it's not a reference to Fierna's culture; it means something to us but not in the context of the actual product.)

The table of tavern names in the DMG has several other interesting rows. Row 1 is from a prominent actual-play report for Lady Blackbird. Row 19 is the villain from the starter set.

On page 135, "If you want a ring of invisibility to fall into the hands of a 1st-level character, so be it. No doubt a great story will arise from that event."

pukunui

Legend
In the starter set, there is a sign warning about plants and zombies. One of my players immediately thought of the game...
Yes, we got to that part last night, and one player asked if this was "plants vs zombies" or "PCs vs plants and zombies". I said it was the latter. LOL.

Remove ads