D&D 5E If WotC is outsourcing official 5E material to 3PP, What is WotC working on?

delericho

Legend
Speaking of which, does anyone know if any of the D&D team got laid off this Christmas? It would be a nice result for them if the game did well enough that they all managed to retain their jobs.

As Mistwell pointed out on another thread, it's actually several years now since WotC had Christmas layoffs.

One thing that is quite likely, though, is that some members of the D&D team may very well have been moved on to other projects within WotC - be it being moved on to the next Magic release, or working on the next D&D boardgame, or whatever. After all, the quote of 15 people was from back when they were still getting the DMG ready for launch; there's no reason to think they would stay at that number post-launch, nor any reason to think we'd be informed of such a minor staffing change.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
From what I know, Sasquatch will produce that as well.
I thought that the Adventurer's Guide was supposed to have some things like new races, classes, spells, an backgrounds in it. That sounds like rules to me. I don't think Wizards wants to outsource writing rules to someone else.

dracomilan

Explorer
I really hope they are working on Dungeon. If they plan on releasing only a couple of APs a year, I will gladly read a bunch of one shot adventures written by the best freelancers in the market. I just hope they will not tie it in a costly subscription.

Conventional wisdom is clearly wrong, since Paizo are making a mint off their adventure paths - to the point where company reps tend to respond to suggestions about changing them with "They're where we make most of our money, so we're very careful about not wanting to fix something that isn't broken."

You clearly can make money from adventures, you just need to do them right.

Paizo are managing to sell their adventures to people who don't actually play. A lot of the appeal of Paizo APs is that they are the tabletop RPG equivalent of a magazine like Ideal Homes. I'm not sure that that's an easy market to grab.

That kind of brings up one of the reasons I've been so frustrated with WoTC since 4E launched. It seemed (to me, at least) in 4E that the accountants took over the product decisions. They clearly said "campaign settings and adventures don't make us money, so lets cut those from the product line. Let's make a bunch of player-focussed products instead". Clearly that didnt work out. Without supporting DMs, there's nobody who wants to run your games.

With Dungeon I don't think that was a big problem. A bigger problem was Keep on the Shadowfell, Pyramid of Shadows, and a lot of the other early adventures being pretty terrible.

I think they're light years ahead of WotC in terms of their understanding of the RPG market. Clearly Lisa et al have better business skills.

WotC doesn't put its best business people into RPGs. Why would it? It has Magic: the Gathering. And Lisa Stevens may be the best business person in the entire RPG field.

Yup. You produce Dragon and Dungeon magazines for years, and then when the license ends you convert all those subscribers into adventure path subscribers.

It's not the adventures (though those are good); it was a perfect storm of various circumstances. It's not repeatable.

Remember, that was 7 years ago that Rise of the Runelords came out. Sure, they were in the right place at the right time to get a HUGE initial boost, but considering the kind of turn over and instability that exists in the RPG industry (not to mention fan fickleness - just look at Trapdoor Tech), they can't still be coasting on that initial boost, let alone growing their company significantly based on converting a group of subscribers 7 years ago.

Where they are now has more to do with how successful they have been running their company - including making a lot of their money on their Adventure Paths, than it does on that boost years ago. If they couldn't make money on adventures, they would look far different (if they still existed at all) 7 years later. So, it does seem like a valid example of making a very nice profit largely off of adventures contrary to popular wisdom.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
We don’t want rules bloat in this new edition, if possible, so having Player’s Handbook 2, 3, 4…..etc, would be a major, major turn off.
Let's not get crazy with the royal "We"...nothing would make me happier that a sweet, sweet book of new 5e crunch.

Remove ads