D&D 5E Question about multiclassing Warlock

Gecko85

Explorer
If you multiclass a level (or more) of Warlock with another class that has spells, do you regain *all* spell slots after a short rest, or just the Warlock spells? Seems it would be just Warlock, but I know it's going to come up, so want to make sure. We haven't done any multiclassing yet...

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Pact Magic (warlock) and Spellcasting (non-warlock caster) slots are kept separate and only Pact Magic (warlock) slots return on a short rest. HOWEVER, you can cast any spell the character knows in either a Pact Magic or regular Spellcasting slot (of appropriate level). Which is kind of cool.

Last edited:

Gecko85

Explorer
Pact Magic (warlock) and Spellcasting (non-warlock caster) slots are kept separate and only Pact Magic (warlock) slots return on a short rest. HOWEVER, you can cast any spell the character knows in either a Pact Magic or regular Spellcasting slot (of appropriate level). Which is kind of cool.
Thanks. So, if I'm understanding, a Bard could conceivably cast a Bard spell in a Pact Magic slot and regain it on short rest? Because that would be very cool.

Rocksome

Explorer
Thanks. So, if I'm understanding, a Bard could conceivably cast a Bard spell in a Pact Magic slot and regain it on short rest? Because that would be very cool.

That's correct. All your known spells go into one big pool and you can cast them with any slot.

PnPgamer

Explorer
For example our party cureently has a cleric1/warlock4 for boosted up cure wounds.
Gives out more healing with short rest replenishing slots.

Last edited:

Gecko85

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Now to decide if/when to get a level or two of Warlock. It would be great to be able to have more Healing Word, Dissonant Whispers, and Faerie Fire available after a short rest - would certainly help the party. But the extra attack at 6th level (Valor Bard) is something I can't wait to get! Decisions, decisions...And, of course, any levels put into another class will delay getting Magical Secrets at 10th level.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
A blade lock can get an extra attack at lvl 5. By PHB Raw, the warlock invocations do not require levels in warlock and only total level so a bard 3/lock 2 would qualify. However Mearls(?) has stated that RAI was meant to be warlock levels. RAF, that's your DMs call. So it will depend on whether your DM just uses the book, follows online clarifications, or even cares on this one.

Remove ads