D&D 5E Can a Battlemaster pickup a disarmed weapon as part of his action?

S

Sunseeker

If the battlemaster has a free hand I see no reason in disallowing it, you could even flavor it is a catch of the weapon mid air.

You know I always pictured the "battlemaster" as the warlord sort, the seasoned fighter who knows all the tricks. This visual is the first time I've pictured the battlemaster as a swashbuckler.

Kalshane

First Post
You know I always pictured the "battlemaster" as the warlord sort, the seasoned fighter who knows all the tricks. This visual is the first time I've pictured the battlemaster as a swashbuckler.

That's one of the things I've noticed about 5E so far, that you can flavor a lot class/sub-class combinations in a lot of different ways.

With a free hand, I would be fine with it. Without a free hand there are other options; kick it away or stand on it. Lets see that ruffian try and retrieve his sword while pinned beneath my foot as I stand over him with a ready weapon.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Sure he can pick it up, but I would say that it provokes an opportunity attack. The same goes for the one disarmed, which again makes the disarming a bit more meaningful.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
With the rules as is, I'd say yes, but that's to make up for another deficiency in the rules. I object to the idea that the defender should be able to pick it up easily, which the rules say he can. If you're in combat, you're moving around to avoid being hit and defending with your weapon. If you're recovering your weapon then you have to bend over or crouch, stationary, without a weapon to defend yourself with. IMO that's pretty close to coup de grace territory. I think it should provoke an opportunity attack at the least.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I think it has to be possible, because if it's not possible, then the opponent can pick it up (for free) on their turn, and continue fighting, essentially making the disarming attack worthless.

I agree that it's not a clean disarming rule, but my sense would be: if you disarm an opponent in melee, you can pick it up (if you have a free hand) or kick it away (if you do not) on the same turn; if you disarm an opponent at range, then the weapon/treasure map/whatever falls at their feet, and they can pick it up on their turn if no one has done so previously.
Yeah I'd allow the weapon to be kicked behind you, or picked up, or whatever. Otherwise it's not really a very useful maneuver. On the other hand, the opponent can just draw a backup weapon and attack with that... so.....?

The way the maneuver is worded, it's a bit unclear - probably on purpose, "rulings vs rules" and all that. But I think from memory the disarm move from DMG further supports a ruling to be able to pick up or knock away the weapon. I cant remember now, I'm away from my books.

PnPgamer

Explorer
If the battlemaster has a free hand I see no reason in disallowing it, you could even flavor it is a catch of the weapon mid air. I haven't seen a single weapon no shield fighter at my table yet, but the battlemaster in one of my games disarm followed by a push then stood on his opponents weapon, I thought that was very cool use of the ability.

If the battlemaster doesn't do something like the above than all you have done is removed the weapon as something to make reaction attacks with, because the first thing the enemy does at the start of his next turn is to pick up his disarmed weapon.

One good way might be that you use tavern brawler feat and use your shield as a weapon leaving other hand available.

Chocolategravy

First Post
That's one of the things I've noticed about 5E so far, that you can flavor a lot class/sub-class combinations in a lot of different ways.
You can't flavor them 4E cheerlords, they don't heal. The twice-per encounter once-per-encounter power and the various other healing powers available to warlords aren't there for the 5E fighter. With the limited superiority dice you can't make a lazylord either. They play like fighters that took limited-use feats that give extra combat options rather than ones that directly boost damage, which isn't anything like a 3E swashbuckler either. It's fighter flavored. The dress isn't green.

Remove ads