Votes: 50 43.5%

Votes: 15 13.0%

Votes: 13 11.3%

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 10 or more

Votes: 6 5.2%

Reynard

Legend
This subject has popped up in a few threads as of late, so I thought a poll might be enlightening.

What is the maximum number of players, in your experience, that a GM can manage well? That is, for whatever definition you have of a "good game" what is the highest number of players (not including the GM) that allow a "good game."

Obviously this may depend highly on the GM, so feel free to base your number on actual experience and then tell us about it. Also, assume I am asking about your favorite iteration of D&D and it's descendants/clones.

EDIT: I voted 9. I had a very successful 13 player game at the end of a TotalCon this year, but I got lucky. Generally, 10 or more is too many IMO/E.

S'mon

Legend
I found 9 manageable in low level 3e. In 4e it's 7 at low level, more like 5 at high level. Too little experience in 5e but I'll guess 6.

S_Dalsgaard

First Post
I prefer four players, but for short campaigns I wouldn't mind going with five. More than that and I don't feel I can give each player the attention they deserve.

Looking at it from a player's perspective, I'd say 6. More than that and half your players will be camped out playing Clash of Clans on their phones while the other umpteen players are doing their thing.

Henry

Autoexreginated
In my experience, up to 8 with pathfinder or 3e, up to 10 with AD&D, no more than 7 for 4e.

If you had asked "preferred"? No more than 5, for ANY RPG.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I voted 8 for the absolute maximum, but my ideal maximum is 6-7.
At cons I tend to allow up to 7, and even this is alot.

Shiroiken

Legend
I can't vote on this, because it depends on the style of game (since you added the qualifier of a "good" game). Also, the individual players can affect this as well, because some people just don't play that well with others (Rob Kurtnz is a great example).

I've found a game based around character development and growth maxes at 4. After that, at least one PC seems to fall by the wayside unless the DM makes a ton of extra effort to keep them engaged.

In a game about high adventure, where combat is much more important and social encounters are minimal, I've seen up to 10 work really well. It might go higher, but when I ran a game with 12 in 2E, it fell apart due to infighting (but that was probably the group).

Gronin

Explorer
For myself, as a GM, 4 or 5 is the ideal but I can usually handle 6 or 7 in any system. A lot depends on the types of players you have though. If all the players are very active then a smaller group is definitely better for them. If you have a few players whose style is that of the eternal henchman then larger groups are easier.

It takes more than just a a good GM to make a large group work, it also takes a good group of players who are willing to compromise a bit to allow everyone to get their moment -- harder to do in a big group.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I can (and have) run for 8 at Conventions. Takes discipline to get things done and keep things moving. For a campaign 6 regulars is my max, though 5 is my goal and I prefer 4 to 6. With character arcs on top of everything else I can't do enough justice to more than 6 even if I can keep individual sessions moving with more.

eMalc

First Post
Prefer 4 players, mostly handle 6 players, have handled 8 players before. I normally play with fairly boisterous groups so anything above 6 can turn into either a shouting match between the players or the constant jokes & interruptions get in the way of the game itself.

Remove ads