D&D 5E Bard Magical secrets and paladin spells question

kolpo

First Post
In the magical secret description does it sound like you can take a paladin level 5 spell when you are only level 10. But a paladin only get's those spells at level 17 and some of them like Banishing smite are clearly balanced with that in mind.

I guess you can never get a spell before the level the actual class needs to be to get it, but I can't find that rule in the player handbook. Anyone knows what going on?

CapnZapp

Legend
You have understood correctly. There is no such rule.

If you don't want bards in your campaign to take these spells long before the paladin gets them, you will have to forbid that with a house rule.

Riley37

First Post
As Paladin spells, they are balanced with what Paladins can do at level 17.

If you learn Banishing Smite as a Magical Secret, it is now a level 5 spell *on your Bard spell list*. Balance is for people who aren't bards, also known as "suckers".

If you have good DEX and tend to have a shortbow handy, learn Swift Quiver; that takes Concentration and Bonus Action, so you can't combine it with Crusader's Mantle etc.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It's balanced as a level 5 spell vs. other level 5 spells, not as a "character level 17" spell.

Mephista

Adventurer
I'd argue that Swift Quiver and some paladin Smites are almost required for the Valor Bard at level 10 if they want to stay competitive with the other classes. Its not a potentially broken bug, its a feature.

Last edited:

Remove ads