D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

Haven’t seen a thread for the cleric guide yet, but wanted to note that for your heroes feat spell you can’t do it every day without having a lot of disposable income due to it costing 1,000 gp per casting as it’s consumed.
I posted it in the optimization thread. I've updated the guide to reflect the cost.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Haven’t seen a thread for the cleric guide yet, but wanted to note that for your heroes feat spell you can’t do it every day without having a lot of disposable income due to it costing 1,000 gp per casting as it’s consumed.

Yes that’s true, and worse it’s a specific item, a gem encrusted bowl, so you will have to make it yourself or have it crafted. Still worth it on days you know will be tough.

At least you can split is 12 ways, or basically the party of 6 and 6 companions.

TheJuiceIsBlack

First Post
Hi Treantmonk - your guide has been invaluable. Thank you very much for your contribution!

One quick question - does being able to cast (xg) Dragon's Breath on your own familiar - obtained with Find Familiar improve the rating of the spell in your opinion?

Note - you can actually cast Dragon's Breath on the familiar anytime its within 100 ft - since it can deliver touch range spells for you, using its reaction.

The way I see it the familiar's actions in combat are more or less useless - while giving it the ability to do 3d6 dmg per round in a highly mobile (e.g. with a flying familiar) 15 ft cone seems effective. Note, since it is a bonus action to cast, you can still get in some cantrip damage the turn you cast it, as well as the 3d6 from your familiar.

Especially against creatures without ranged weapons, or hordes of weaker monsters it seems devastating. Also, I can think of scenarios where sending in your familiar to start fires all around an enemy encampment might be fun & highly effective.

Note, per https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/02/07/can-you-cast-dragon-breath-on-your-familiar/ - this use is legal - since using the ability Dragon's Breath grants is not considered an attack, but an ability.

Last edited:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Hi Treantmonk - your guide has been invaluable. Thank you very much for your contribution!

One quick question - does being able to cast (xg) Dragon's Breath on your own familiar - obtained with Find Familiar improve the rating of the spell in your opinion?

Note - you can actually cast Dragon's Breath on the familiar anytime its within 100 ft - since it can deliver touch range spells for you, using its reaction.

The way I see it the familiar's actions in combat are more or less useless - while giving it the ability to do 3d6 dmg per round in a highly mobile (e.g. with a flying familiar) 15 ft cone seems effective. Note, since it is a bonus action to cast, you can still get in some cantrip damage the turn you cast it, as well as the 3d6 from your familiar.

Especially against creatures without ranged weapons, or hordes of weaker monsters it seems devastating. Also, I can think of scenarios where sending in your familiar to start fires all around an enemy encampment might be fun & highly effective.

Note, per https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/02/07/can-you-cast-dragon-breath-on-your-familiar/ - this use is legal - since using the ability Dragon's Breath grants is not considered an attack, but an ability.

Dragons breath on a familiar sounds so freaking awesome.

I know it’s outisde the scope of this thread, but doing it with a chain lock/sorcerer with an improved familiar would be so freaking cool!!

jgsugden

Legend
In practice, many DMs will have monsters target that familiar and put an end to it breathing energy within 1 round, meaning you used a spell slot and a bonus action for about 10 damage on a small number of creatures - and it cost you your familiar for a while. Also, some DMs may decide that the breath is an 'attack' which is not allowed for a standard familiar, although RAW, this is incorrect. It is a fun idea, but likely will not be a strong option.

In my experience, saving those bonus actions and 2nd level slots for misty steps is a more advantageous idea.

CapnZapp

Legend
Yes that’s true, and worse it’s a specific item, a gem encrusted bowl, so you will have to make it yourself or have it crafted. Still worth it on days you know will be tough.
The problem is that campaigns are different.

In some campaigns getting hold of these bowls might well be a limiting factor. (Certainly in AL - a very atypical campaign)

But if you use default treasure awards 1000 gp is peanuts.

And if you go by the logic that any spell as good as this will have considerable demand, all the party needs to do is to port or gate over to a major city such as Waterdeep or Sigil, and they can pick up a score of bowls for only twenty times the price of one, and be set for the rest of the campaign.

Just saying that the idea that the party are unique snowflakes (basically that nobody has ever asked to buy gem-encrusted bowls before) is very unpopular in some segments of the player base.

In short:
§ price and availability has shown itself over and over again to be poor balancing factors, since campaigns differ greatly
§ the only real balancing factors worth using are resources like spell slot level, uses per day etc

In my experience - once the caster is 13th level (or otherwise have more than just one spell slot of level 6+) this spell basically becomes a "slot tax": you basically never have any reason NOT to cast it, it's just that insanely good.

You can just hope there's more than one caster in the party, so this burden doesn't fall solely on one character.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

Wow.

Not sure why it's not an attack, but that is a distinction Crawford makes.

smbakeresq

Explorer
In practice, many DMs will have monsters target that familiar and put an end to it breathing energy within 1 round, meaning you used a spell slot and a bonus action for about 10 damage on a small number of creatures - and it cost you your familiar for a while. Also, some DMs may decide that the breath is an 'attack' which is not allowed for a standard familiar, although RAW, this is incorrect. It is a fun idea, but likely will not be a strong option.

In my experience, saving those bonus actions and 2nd level slots for misty steps is a more advantageous idea.

My experience is DM do that sometimes. The familiars that can fly away are better for this obviously. However, if the creature spends its turn chasing and attack a familiar that is a good use of 2nd level spell as a form of soft control.

In our group recently its been used to prevent regeneration of some creature, we are fighting a lot of regenerating undead.

Its sometimes its worth it, sometimes it isn't. Its a neat idea and cool effect though.

I also am not sure about the distinction Crawford makes, however I say that about many distinctions Crawford makes. It certainly isn't powerful enough to worry about though.

Remove ads