D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
The background section is a waste of effort, thats what I'm trying to get at, it takes up 15 pages on describing backgrounds. Short mechanics explanation + 1-2 pages of examples and done. That way, more work could have been put into other parts of the book...like the ranger for instance, or Class Labels for spell description.

Yea, but the backgrounds are even more rigid. 1 background has 2 fixed skills, while you can CHOOSE class skills, from a set list.

Well 3.5 had, class variants, racial substitution, alternate base classes and prestige classes, and you could multi-class freely (no attribute restriction). Tons of feats (yea most of them are useless) and templates for your race.
But the main thing for me is, you could customize your skill distribution after character creation.

Never say that any other edition had more customization then 3.5. Only PF has more, if we count it as 3.X Edition.

I think the effort is to inspire roleplay. Surely they could just have lists and not even name sample backgrounds. However, I think the examples are well worth the space. If the focus is merely on numbers, you are right. Why bother? Heck, why bother with features at all? Your features should just emerge in play with that rationale.

After playing many years, I have found this sort of information in the book has facilitated a great deal of creativity for me and my group.

ALSO the Background section should be before Classes. Why? Cause now you have to flip back and forth between what class skills you get and what skill the backgrounds grant you (overlapping skill selection is what i'm getting at).

Eh, w/e. I'm not playing 5e any way....back to Shadowrun. :)
Just choose some background skills then move onto the class skills
I do agree with that. And I would go a bit further:
PF gives HP for chosing your race.
I would have liked that for 5e too.
That way, race + background would make a great 0 level char.
I'd also could have accepted it if background gave a very small selection of weapon and armor proficiencies if it was appropriate for that background. That way the soldier would not have to chose gaming sets...
... i can however agree with the designers to not have it as default rule, because of the soldier wizards running around everywhere then....

Instead of the pathfinder playtest or shadow run, I am really looking for warhammer 4e. I know 2nd edition and really love the execution and idea behind the path system.
You start with a base class (akin to a background with a low level class combined). Then you need to advance in skills and equippment to multiclass in either an upgrade of your class or a different class.

Example: you may start as beggar. You may then become a scout, a thief or a monk. A scout will build on your experience roaming around. The thief is obvious. The monk is a way to escape your poverty and may be you entry class to become a priest (and a spellcaster).
So in dnd speech: background. Then adept levels. (1-4) then heroic levels as a new class and so on.

Ragmon

Explorer
lulz.

I play Hero as my primary system, I scoff at the "complicated" 3.5 claims*. I also love 5E. People like different things.. some individuals like different things all by themselves. There is no one true system for anyone.

* Note playing to stereotypes, I actually find Hero less complicated in play than 3.5.. just Chargen is frontloaded with a LOT of choices.

What? I was saying its a good thing.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Are there details out on PF2's system? If yes please link it.

Yea I get that, but what I was saying is that they should have just improved the 3.5 formula, but for reals this time (PF tried but it was really just D&D 3.75).

I guess they did, a lot of people love it. Is it better? I personally think its a rigid system, with very little character customization, specially post creation. But hey thats just me. If it appeals to new players and people who were scared of 3.5 "complicated" system, I'm all for it.

Representing people who like 5e as "scared" of 3.5's complexity is a pretty biased and overly simplistic stance. People's tastes just differ from yours.

And, they may also see it as the reverse, and think you fear the deeper complexity of not using your character sheet to decide what you do on your turn, but rather your imagination which is less limited by the rules structure of 3.5. That, by stating a rule for most things, 3.5 naturally influences people towards playing within all those rules and not try to do anything which was not already covered by the rules.

I'll offer an example: "Jump off the banister, swing on the chandelier, to kick over the barrel of lamp oil onto the torch on the wall."

3.5: Theoretically possible but first you have to know if there is already a feat which can do this specifically and, if there is, then not just anyone can try it without the feat as that would be stepping on the toes of players who chose that feat. But, if there is not a feat, then the complexity of the jump rules, acrobatics rules, movement rules as they combine with acrobatics, attack to kick the barrels, check barrel weight and barrel hardness and material breaking rules, oil splash pattern to strike the fire, fire damage and spread, etc.. All that is just a lot of rules to look up, and most players would probably get bugged you're not just attacking with your bow and multiple attacks and known set of attack and damage routines from your character sheet.

5e: Probably just an acrobatics check and role damage with DM deciding on the fly anything unclear. The rules don't discourage that sort of procedure and are streamlined such that a player could reasonably do that with a single check, and so are less inclined to always look at their character sheet to decide what to do. It's a more complex decision for the player to make those choices, but it's less rules complexity than imagination based complexity.

The background section is a joke.

Why? I love the backgrounds. That's where some deep role playing complexity comes in at character creation. You no longer need to class to reflect "I am a pirate" or "I am a noble", and can do it with any class.

The rules are (try to make it fit your character):
*Choose 2 Skills to gain proficiency in.
*Choose 2 languages, 2 tools or 1 of each to be proficient in.
*Make up feature that doesn't effect the game mechanically but help the character out in situations that are not all that important.

Those situations, while limited in frequency, are often very important when they do come up. Why do you think they're not?

Last edited:

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
As a DM, that when 5e came about, the Insider online tools which Wizards charged for became obsolete but no update for 5e was created. i.e. the publisher was either going to lose subscribers to Insider as they moved away from 4e, or have fewer people moving to 4e. We wanted to play 5e and have made the switch but wizards lost my subscription to Insider because it's useless now, and I would still like to see that kind of support available for 5.

Ragmon

Explorer
I think the effort is to inspire roleplay. Surely they could just have lists and not even name sample backgrounds. However, I think the examples are well worth the space. If the focus is merely on numbers, you are right. Why bother? Heck, why bother with features at all? Your features should just emerge in play with that rationale.

After playing many years, I have found this sort of information in the book has facilitated a great deal of creativity for me and my group.

I get that its for inspiration, but I think its not well presented and its overly long. A simple list would have sufficed, with examples. IMO its much more fun to read a list with short description for character concepts to inspire me then 15 pages of filler.

That and that would have prolly freed up some time and effort for the writers, to work on other stuff.

Ragmon

Explorer
I do agree with that. And I would go a bit further:
PF gives HP for chosing your race.
I would have liked that for 5e too.
That way, race + background would make a great 0 level char.
I'd also could have accepted it if background gave a very small selection of weapon and armor proficiencies if it was appropriate for that background. That way the soldier would not have to chose gaming sets...
... i can however agree with the designers to not have it as default rule, because of the soldier wizards running around everywhere then....

Instead of the pathfinder playtest or shadow run, I am really looking for warhammer 4e. I know 2nd edition and really love the execution and idea behind the path system.
You start with a base class (akin to a background with a low level class combined). Then you need to advance in skills and equippment to multiclass in either an upgrade of your class or a different class.

Example: you may start as beggar. You may then become a scout, a thief or a monk. A scout will build on your experience roaming around. The thief is obvious. The monk is a way to escape your poverty and may be you entry class to become a priest (and a spellcaster).
So in dnd speech: background. Then adept levels. (1-4) then heroic levels as a new class and so on.

Yea I have seen that idea in a Hungarian RPG of all things (M.A.G.U.S.). Using the d20 system, your first 4 levels are chosen from the NPC classes, commoner, expert, noble, warrior and adept. Then for 5th level you can actually choose you 1st PC class level (if you meet the requirement, kind of like for prestige classes).

That and now that you mention it, the Weapon Proficiency is missing from the Soldier Background. :)

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I get that its for inspiration, but I think its not well presented and its overly long. A simple list would have sufficed, with examples. IMO its much more fun to read a list with short description for character concepts to inspire me then 15 pages of filler.

That and that would have prolly freed up some time and effort for the writers, to work on other stuff.

Well, it comes down to taste. I won't disparage yours. For me, the extra stuff is evocative and helpful. I was in a rut and needed more than a few lines to get the creative juices flowing again. And now they are!

Its all good. Hopefully you also got what you wanted in there somewhere too!

Remove ads