• Concord Administrator

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other (post your idea/choice)

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Lemon Curry

Votes: 20 16.8%

Miladoon

First Post
I prefer a new name although I don't have one I am set on. As the Warlord did to the Marshal, so shall classW do the Warlord.

I think the entire idea needs to be tipped on its head. A spell-less support class seems too limited by the warlord feudal concept, proposed by AbdulAlhazred. Besides that warlord concept could be a character with any base class. A rogue can be that guy. A fighter can be that guy. A barbarian can be that guy. And if you want to have spells, why can't a wizard be that guy? 5E seems like the perfect ruleset to add 'that guy' as a subclass.

I prefer a class that is more enabler in its base features and then have a military specific subclass along with several other subclasses so players can choose the flavor of their support instead of having battle baggage as the core of the base class.

I challenge myself to that design space and finding a name that goes along with it.

I like the name "adalid", it may be used for a subclass, maybe a hybrid paladin/warlord.

The word "arraez" is almost unknown. It means "Morisco/Arabian caudillo" or "captain of a Morisco/Arabian ship".

Eupatridae (=good fathered) may be the name for a noble class.

Gothi may be the name for a hybrid barbarian/warlord, a prestige class, kit or subclass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothi

Another Spanish word is "almocadem" ( = captain). Sorry, only I have could find it in Spanish languange.

MarkB

Legend
Okay folks, take a step back and look at the existing core class names. Maybe a couple of them are a tiny bit obscure, but they do, for the most part, give anyone with even passing genre knowledge a broad idea what to expect from a class.

Names like Banneret, Purple Dragon Whatever, Military-Rank-In-An-Obscure-Language etc. give no clue to most players as to what they can expect from the class, and the majority won't bother to give it a closer look.

Some of these options might work as sub-class names, but as class names they're non-starters.

sleypy

Explorer
Since it is popular for D&D to reuse names, I'll follow suit. I like Ardent. I think that allows it to be vague on whether or not the power is supernatural since Ardent has been psionic. Also, the name isn't so particular about the source. It could be the character exuding strong emotions or has a passionate dedication to their craft. I think that would be a good root and subclasses could be their pursuit, e.g., battle, strategy, freedom, Cthulhu, etc.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
As I suggested before, "Inciter."

That's a very clear name that tells the reader what the class is meant to do: it incites action on the part of others, and it incites them to draw upon their reserves of resolve, to brace up and keep fighting despite setbacks.

That name also fits with other D&D class names that end in "-er": Artificer, Avenger, Binder, Fighter, Invoker, Ranger, Sorcerer. That's a very common verbal construction among the class names, so it should fit right in among the rest.

Edit: Adding the "Invoker." I am ashamed that I left that one out.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I had some time to kill while watching the Lions-Chiefs game this morning (they're playing in London).

Since I'm a Lions fan, and they're currently getting slaughtered 31-3, I figured I'd distract myself by making an updated poll chart with all of the "Other" submissions from people's posts. It's helping to stave off the massive depression that is part and parcel of rooting for the Lions...:.-(:p

btw, Matt Stafford is not a very successful Warlord lately...:(

Poll Results.jpg

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I had some time to kill while watching the Lions-Chiefs game this morning (they're playing in London).

Since I'm a Lions fan, and they're currently getting slaughtered 31-3, I figured I'd distract myself by making an updated poll chart with all of the "Other" submissions from people's posts. It's helping to stave off the massive depression that is part and parcel of rooting for the Lions...:.-(:p

btw, Matt Stafford is not a very successful Warlord lately...:(

No one should have to subject themselves willingly to that. The last time the Lions were successful in Europe, it was against the Christians in the Roman Colosseum.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Since I'm a Lions fan...
Now I see why we don't get along. Go! Pack! Go!

As for names, I like a previous poster's idea: Support. For the bravura style subclass, you can go with "Jock." For inspirational, of course, the on-the-nose "Emotional." And for tactical, maybe something like "Underwire?"

Brilliant.

Remove ads