WotC / Digital River Not Accepting Renewals of Existing Subscriptions to DDI

SergeTroy

First Post
Hello En Worlder's, bit of news that some of you may already know about but is definitely new in a few important aspects to me. It's been known for a little while that Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro is not going to be allowing new subscriptions to it's digital option for Dungeons & Dragons Insider: so, if you had previously been an 'Insider' (existing account information, DCI #, billing info, all that) but were not Currently Subscribed when the news was released, you would not be able to re-subscribe and access the D&D Insider Toolbox with the Character Builder, and Compendium for 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons. However, that was not apparently the end of the changes.

I have an existing subscription whose end date was set for end of day today, 12/29/2015; I understand there is / was (?) some sort of grace day, so that I could re-subscribe on the 30th for example and keep my subscription going. I signed into my account today with the full intent of extending my subscription further as I have previously, via a $23.85 (USD) payment for a 3-month period of Access / Service. I received notification that regardless of valid billing details (aka, money on hand and ready to be spent) Digital River, or Wizards of the Coast, or Hasbro - whoever - was unwilling / unable to accept the order. "We apologize for the inconvenience, but your request cannot be processed at this time. Please contact customer service to assist with your needs."

Okay, this is disheartening and pretty chilling. I called customer service and spoke with a representative who advised me that there is some sort of issue with Digital River / Wizards of the Coast & / or Hasbro at this time, and that unless you are on an auto-renewal setup, or had a longer paid service period than myself, they were not taking orders at this time to continue the service, nor did they have any sort of workaround for providing an option to continue to allow access for those with cash on hand. This is problematic.

I have a screenshot that clearly shows the webpage where it is stated, "The tools are not available to new subscribers at this time, but existing subscribers can continue to renew the service." I have a receipt that clearly shows my service time continued through Expiration Date: December 29, 2015. This is confirmed by e-mails.

I was told and I have no reason to disbelieve my reaction will be forwarded to the appropriate departments in Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro; I also have received an E-mail I am preparing to forward on as well to Customer Support in relation to this. Now maybe it's just me, but I don't believe this should have been an issue at all. There was no notification of this; even the notification of the Website Change & Subscription Changes were on the day of, but stated not to worry for existing subscribers. Apparently, there should have been a greater level of worry on my part.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This isn't a press release or a product announcement, so I'll sip it into one of the discussion forums for you.

SergeTroy

First Post
Alright, thanks Morrus, and sorry about that. It seemed important information, so I was torn on where to put it and I've had some issues with contacting staff.

A Quick Edit for clarity: issues with contacting staff not impossibly a user error with not quite sure about where to go with a particular issue kind of thing; not staff refusing to respond or anything like that. Site navigation is a work in progress on my learning curve. :)

Last edited:

SergeTroy

First Post
Could we see this screenshot?

The screenshot showing the quoted, " The tools are not available to new subscribers at this time, but existing subscribers can continue to renew the service." is happily give, but the one showing the rejection of any attempted purchase has some personal billing information on it, and is more intended for review with WotC if that ever comes up, in conjunction with the other screenshots & the receipt. At the end of things, If you don't believe me, it's very easy to attempt to renew; even if you're on auto-renewal, you can call customer service and just ask them to STOP your auto-renewal or to clarify matters. If they say everything is fine, than there shouldn't be any issue with them cancelling your auto renewal and allowing you to do so manually just once, should there? BTW, tried sending you a PM that included the aforementioned screenshot (the one that doesn't have billing info) but I wasn't able to. And I don't use photo bucket or whatnot, so I'm not sure that the site allows me to? Apologies for the tech issues, part of it's being a forum new I think. Honeslty though, testing my notification to the community shouldn't be that hard.

Last edited:

SergeTroy

First Post

Yes, but that doesn't address those of us with existing accounts and current subscriptions who were on manual renewal, rather than on auto-renewal. So, with apologies, my post is still a bit of a news item. There was no mention anywhere that only those specifically set to auto-renew would be among the favored.

Either way, it's starting to not matter for me. Like many other's I'm just tired of WotC's shenanigans and will move past this. I have all the content I need and this is as good a time as any to better organize my collected content into documents for the Races, Classes, Powers, and Feats. And I will not be supporting Fantasy Grounds but instead using AppRoll20, a far superior option, IMO.

Edit: You updated your links, damn you Morrus, :D. I'm not seeing anything in there that precisely touches on what I'm talking about (looong thread), but the general gravity of folks moving away from the service almost entirely due to poor service in the administration/web team side (I really do feel sorry for the customer support staff I call), is telling. I guess they've decided to just turn themselves into an online retailer of PDF's and leave it at that.

Last edited:

The screenshot showing the quoted, " The tools are not available to new subscribers at this time, but existing subscribers can continue to renew the service." is happily give, but the one showing the rejection of any attempted purchase has some personal billing information on it, and is more intended for review with WotC if that ever comes up, in conjunction with the other screenshots & the receipt. At the end of things, If you don't believe me, it's very easy to attempt to renew; even if you're on auto-renewal, you can call customer service and just ask them to STOP your auto-renewal or to clarify matters. If they say everything is fine, than there shouldn't be any issue with them cancelling your auto renewal and allowing you to do so manually just once, should there? BTW, tried sending you a PM that included the aforementioned screenshot (the one that doesn't have billing info) but I wasn't able to. And I don't use photo bucket or whatnot, so I'm not sure that the site allows me to? Apologies for the tech issues, part of it's being a forum new I think. Honeslty though, testing my notification to the community shouldn't be that hard.

I'll contact the DM in the group who uses the service. I know he uses it manually because sometimes he can't access it.

(Yikes that was a huge PM! Even without an image.)

Last edited:

SergeTroy

First Post
I'll contact the DM in the group who uses the service. I know he uses it manually because sometimes he can't access it.

(Yikes that was a huge PM! Even without an image.)

Sorry.:blush: My friends and family get that from me all the time. They know a text is from me when they here one come in, followed by another, followed by another, and then - possibly - followed by another ... one or two. :LOL Hey, character limits are for Twitter!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, but that doesn't address those of us with existing accounts and current subscriptions who were on manual renewal, rather than on auto-renewal.

I wasn't trying to address your complaints; I don't work for WotC. I was just supplying a couple of background information links for those who might be interested.

Remove ads